Walden Grove vs Chandler (Blackford Duals)

East Valley

Walden Grove is a great program! The coaches & kids have put the time in. In my mind D3 contenders for sure.

Chandler & Cienega both impressed me as well. They have tough kids.

Coach Pat

Coach Bostwick did a great job this year! The hard thing about a holiday tournament is illness and nursing injuries. Cienega gave up 3 weight classes and I know a bunch of teams were in the same boat because of the same things. All in all even though there were less teams than in the past I thought it was a very good, we'll run, and competitive tournament.

How can so many of these HUGE D1 Schools like Chandler High (or even D2 schools) have so many foreits? 3-4 forfeits?! GEEZ! It's understandable that kids get hurt and sick this time of year, but not even a backup?! Are they not getting kids to buy in to their programs? Something just doesn't seem right, especially when there's thousands of kids at these schools, with HIGHLY Sussessful football programs and resources. On another note, how about a Sophomore kid from the Old Pueblo taking out 3x State Champ Groves? VERY impressive!

Last edited:

Coach Pat

I can only speak for my kids and my squad, but our forfeits were at 106, 132, & 285. I don't care how many kids you have at a school, 106 is one of those weight classes that is just hard to fill. We have 45-50 kids in the room and one 106 pounder. My starter moved and this guy went on Christmas vacation. 285 is the same. I have a few freshmen that could fill that spot but I don't think it's beneficial to a kid who is a first year wrestler to throw him into a varsity spot and get beat up, especially against those big horses. I know a lot of those programs there have 40-50 even more kids in the rooms. But in my humble opinion just because we have a lot of kids doesn't always mean we're going to fill a whole lineup. And I watched that 160 pound match. It was pretty epic.

Now that would be VERY unfortunate. Hopefully he is able to get back on the mat soon. That kid is a SERIOUS contender for a state title this season, having already knocked off last years 3rd and 4th state placers, convincingly. Not to mention, he's only a freshman.

wjd

Chandler was giving up 3-4 forfeits, today!! I heard they’ve got a few injuries. A lot of the teams were looking very good!!
Track Wrestling shows that Chandler foreited 3 matches and Walden Grove 1. So a net 12 points on FF for Walden Grove.
My question would be where'd the Walden Grove 160 come from that defeated Marco Groves? I don't see him in the 3A preseason rankings.

TUMBLEWEED

Marco Gamez moved to Walden Grove from Sunnyside
Rumor has it he wasn’t given a fair shot at wrestle offs last year @ 145 so he moves schools

matman

***** Wrestling shows that Chandler foreited 3 matches and Walden Grove 1. So a net 12 points on FF for Walden Grove.
My question would be where'd the Walden Grove 160 come from that defeated Marco Groves? I don't see him in the 3A preseason rankings.
Does anyone know why Benjamin Analis sat out against Cienega?
i wonder if his back was hurt for the SS duel as well....