Walden Grove vs Chandler (Blackford Duals)

i wonder if his back was hurt for the SS duel as well....
If Alanis were ducking hard matches he would have been "hurt" about an hour before against Walden Grove's Diego Guerrero. One of the highlight matches of entire duals tournament! Diego is big, strong really cranking some moves, Alanis not letting him have them. No doubt in my mind he was hurting after that match and much respect to both wrestlers for working so hard.

East Valley

If Alanis were ducking hard matches he would have been "hurt" about an hour before against Walden Grove's Diego Guerrero. One of the highlight matches of entire duals tournament! Diego is big, strong really cranking some moves, Alanis not letting him have them. No doubt in my mind he was hurting after that match and much respect to both wrestlers for working so hard.
I was there. I agree 100%!

matman

Not doubting the kids injuries at all. BUT There’s a big difference when wrestling a kid that’s not in your division. There’s nothing on the line

JMP2808

Marco Gamez moved to Walden Grove from Sunnyside
Rumor has it he wasn’t given a fair shot at wrestle offs last year @ 145 so he moves schools
Marcos Gamez wasn't allowed to wrestle 162 lbs at State after winning his wrestle off at Sunnyside. That's not the only reason he moved schools.

chingon76

Staff member
sometimes a wrestler who wins in the practice room... doesn't fit the model of varsity level commitment / behavior / sportsmanship that is the team standard. We can only guess without input from the coach / staff. It happens. I've seen wrestlers "earn" a spot by challenging for a weight but then piss it all away with bad behavior, grades, attendance (on mat and in class). But like I said before... it's hard to guess... we don't know the whole story.

JMP2808

sometimes a wrestler who wins in the practice room... doesn't fit the model of varsity level commitment / behavior / sportsmanship that is the team standard. We can only guess without input from the coach / staff. It happens. I've seen wrestlers "earn" a spot by challenging for a weight but then piss it all away with bad behavior, grades, attendance (on mat and in class). But like I said before... it's hard to guess... we don't know the whole story.
Marcos is a 3.5 GPA student, never been in any kind of behavioral trouble, a quiet humble kid that keeps to himself. Known the kid and family for a long time. This kid was at every practice and his work ethic along with discipline are as good as anyone's. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about him in the next few weeks. The kid just didn't fit in at Sunnyside on either the wrestling team or the school itself.

chingon76

Staff member
Marcos is a 3.5 GPA student, never been in any kind of behavioral trouble, a quiet humble kid that keeps to himself. Known the kid and family for a long time. This kid was at every practice and his work ethic along with discipline are as good as anyone's. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about him in the next few weeks. The kid just didn't fit in at Sunnyside on either the wrestling team or the school itself.
thank you for clarifying! I didn't mean to slight or disparage Marco in my response. There is always that side to the equation. I've definitely heard of sketchy things happening in lineups and there are coaches who care more about winning... than anything else. I hope the reasons were "sound" but... were they ever given?

Now that he's in a better place. I wish him the best. He sounds like a great kid. I will hopefully catch some of his wrestling at Flowing Wells.

JMP2808

thank you for clarifying! I didn't mean to slight or disparage Marco in my response. There is always that side to the equation. I've definitely heard of sketchy things happening in lineups and there are coaches who care more about winning... than anything else. I hope the reasons were "sound" but... were they ever given?

Now that he's in a better place. I wish him the best. He sounds like a great kid. I will hopefully catch some of his wrestling at Flowing Wells.
There never really was a reason given, but I'm sure the coaches went with what they felt was their best chance. I wouldn't say he's at a better place just a better fit for him. Yeah I look forward to watching him wrestle for the next couple weeks.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

Marcos Gamez won his wrestle offs at 162 lbs but was still not allowed to wrestle at State for Sunnyside.
I don’t know how wrestle offs work at Sunnyside, but at my sons school they can wrestle off around 5 or 6 times during the season, and also wrestle off for sectionals to go to state. If Marcos Gamez won that wrestle off to go to state and wasn’t allowed than that is some bulloney!!

bayoubadger

I don’t know how wrestle offs work at Sunnyside, but at my sons school they can wrestle off around 5 or 6 times during the season, and also wrestle off for sectionals to go to state. If Marcos Gamez won that wrestle off to go to state and wasn’t allowed than that is some bulloney!!
My son has wrestled varsity at Sunnyside the last 4 years. I can tell you he has never had a “wrestle off”. Marcos is a good kid and wrestler. Coach went with the kid who he thought gave them a better chance at that weight.

AzWildCard

My son has wrestled varsity at Sunnyside the last 4 years. I can tell you he has never had a “wrestle off”. Marcos is a good kid and wrestler. Coach went with the kid who he thought gave them a better chance at that weight.
A coach can strategize and arrange his lineup as he pleases through out the season.

The best wrestler represents the weight class at sectionals and that’s determined by wrestle offs.

Good coaches know that.

JMP2808

Marcos was wrestling off 2-3 times a week. He just didn't fit the mold at Sunnyside. No matter if he won he wasn't wrestling at state.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

Marcos was wrestling off 2-3 times a week. He just didn't fit the mold at Sunnyside. No matter if he won he wasn't wrestling at state.
Well that’s unfortunate... You’re a good dad for catching that early in his high school career and making the necessary adjustments to have him succeed. I’m looking forward to watch him prove the naysayers wrong for the next 3 years.

JMP2808

Well that’s unfortunate... You’re a good dad for catching that early in his high school career and making the necessary adjustments to have him succeed. I’m looking forward to watch him prove the naysayers wrong for the next 3 years.
Thank you, but I'm not his dad. I'm his cousin. Marcos is ready to prove to himself he's ready to step up and be a heat wrestler.

JMP2808

A coach can strategize and arrange his lineup as he pleases through out the season.

The best wrestler represents the weight class at sectionals and that’s determined by wrestle offs.

Good coaches know that.
The funny part of this is that the kid who beat the kid twice at state that replaced Marcos in the line up couldn't even get one takedown against Marcos just a few weeks after state.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

Thank you, but I'm not his dad. I'm his cousin. Marcos is ready to prove to himself he's ready to step up and be a heat wrestler.
Well you’re a very good cousin. You seem to know a whole lot about Marco. I don’t know that many details about my family. You’re like a guardian or something!

JMP2808

Thank you. Marcos is like my little brother. I'm sorry you're not close to your family like that. He looks to me for advice and I try to be there for him as much as possible. His dad makes him make a lot of decisions on his own after giving him his take on things.