Toughest team in Arizona 2018-2019 (all divisions)

Coach P

Since the forum is awkardly quiet....let's have some completely hypothetical fun. These are only predictions and are not based on any actual line ups....just rumors....lol.

I will say Sunnyside....what a surprise!

Head to head they are solid from top to bottom.

Coach P

Im curious as to how Chandler will be able to replace Alanis and Kelly....and Cibola losing Gandara was huge. Also heard Walden Grove lost Lopez....Now Yuma will have some serious studs coming up for the next few years from that Somerton youth program. Anyone have any idea about Yuma's lineup? they are d3 correct?

chingon76

Staff member
Im curious as to how Chandler will be able to replace Alanis and Kelly....and Cibola losing Gandara was huge. Also heard Walden Grove lost Lopez....Now Yuma will have some serious studs coming up for the next few years from that Somerton youth program. Anyone have any idea about Yuma's lineup? they are d3 correct?
yes,
yuma, walden grove, safford are all d3. Safford has some studs this year... they will be a force. What weight is lopez from Walden? He went to Ironwood ridge or Marana MTV?

Coach P

Can't wait to see Ybarra SS vs Guerrero WG....I think they both may be at 126. Safford, WG, and SS have a duel in early December, but it is in Safford. Wonder if someone from this site can stream that dual?

Can't wait to see Ybarra SS vs Guerrero WG....I think they both may be at 126. Safford, WG, and SS have a duel in early December, but it is in Safford. Wonder if someone from this site can stream that dual?
Gonna be good duels for sure. Not sure if Ybarra and Guerrero will be as competitive as one may think, but hopefully it's a good match.

SS
Safford
Walden
Yuma
Cibola

Coach P

3x state champ vs 3x state champ (and fargo champ) sounds pretty competitive to me....then again, I also thought Guerrero vs Garcia SS last year at FW was gonna be super close...ending up almost being a tech fall for SS. Wrestling style makes a huge difference. Other then maybe Kilgore, I don't think WG has anyone else that are for sure wins against SS. Safford has Finch (but will probably face Rodriguez from SS, 2x state placer), and Andrews will be a win for sure. I think Yuma will win D3 this year, but not sure who they lost from Last year.

Someone actually made a FB page to stream Wrestling. I’ll find out the exact name for you.

TheMat

White(safford) Vs Gamez(Grove) rematch of last years regional finals, If they end up in the same weight
Per D2 Rankings, incoming SS freshman Villaescusa may have something to say about this weight class and will also be at this duel. The word is that he's developing a lot in the SS room and should not be over looked at 160 or 170. White/Gamez/Villaescusa is going to be a lot of fun. Hope someone can stream it.

Last edited:

TheMat

And by the way, how does Sunnyside land all these young studs?
120 - Rivera
152 - Fragoso
160/170 - Villaescusa
Incredible how they keep this going year over year. Looks like SS will be brutal once again this season. These are just the FRESHMAN in the lineup, holy smokes. I saw all 3 wrestle a couple of times as 8th graders, they will be a force, and great additions to SS this season!

Last edited:

Coach P

They are all part of the SS wrestling academy (kids club). Have been for years. Gotta start em young! Again, Coach Leon puts in some serious time all year round and it shows.

Da dude

yes,
yuma, walden grove, safford are all d3. Safford has some studs this year... they will be a force. What weight is lopez from Walden? He went to Ironwood ridge or Marana MTV?
I believe Lopez is gonna be at 113 or 120. Either way he has a hard time with brown or Rivera from SS

Da dude

Not sure if these two will be at the same weight

I believe Lopez is gonna be at 113 or 120. Either way he has a hard time with brown or Rivera from SS
Rivera from Sunnyside is this tough? Freshman? Wow. I do not believe I've seen him wrestle before. I do know Brown is brutally tough. I look forward to watching SS with these new additions.