Best HS Wrestler in AZ 2019??

chingon76

Staff member
Maybe Valiant should wrestle at Peoria, Flowing Wells or Mike High. They can if they want to.

Not taking anything away from Valiant but they’re not attending these tournaments for a reason.
I thought they couldn't wrestle at AIA sanctioned events? I'm not sure but I thought it had something to do with accreditation or something. I could be wrong.

If I stand correct, invitationals and duals are open to everyone. Out of state teams and private schools can participate.

Only schools that participate in the AIA are permitted to wrestle at sectionals and state.

Give Valiant another 2 years and they will be amongst the best in Arizona. They’re building and are headed in the right direction.

Coachdoerr

just because they don't wrestle in the AIA doesn't mean they aren't "the best" in AZ--
Valiant College Preparatory

I'm sure these guys would be in the best category...Larkin, Alanis, Ramos, ex Cibola kid who was AA (sorry cant remember his name)...just saying, they would ruin your AIA State Tournament at whos best.
Cibola has had a few AA’s most recent is Aaron Gandara I think the question is who is currently the best in AZ

Coachdoerr

If I stand correct, invitationals and duals are open to everyone. Out of state teams and private schools can participate.

Only schools that participate in the AIA are permitted to wrestle at sectionals and state.

Give Valiant another 2 years and they will be amongst the best in Arizona. They’re building and are headed in the right direction.
Is Valiant a new school or what. Who is the coach

Coachdoerr

Echemendia is 19 yo. Well within AIA rules. He has about 24 total folk style matches in his career. The kid killed it beating wrestlers with over 150 wins. Learn how to appreciate talent Yuma boy. My guess is you are not familiar with talent which is why you speak out of ignorance.
Hey now don’t cap on yuma boys

Coachdoerr

This is a tough question and really is everyone’s own opinion. You could debate this question for weeks. But you have to look at competition they have faced not only in AZ but out of state in big time tournaments. M. Castillo is a great wrestler and could be the best wrestler in AZ. But he didn’t face any great compition this year. No one that will be going D1 that’s for sure. Nothing against him just need justification with competition. Could have been solidified if he stayed at 138 for Doc Wright and faced Quin and Jarmen. Which would have been a great match.
But I’d have to say Ybarra, Tellez, or Guerrero have my vote. But I really like Tellez not only because he beat Ybarra in states but he also won Freak Show which is one of the biggest tournaments nation wide. And I like his decision to go down and face the best at the time Ybarra. I don’t know if that was planned or the reason he dropped but that takes some guts. But I also wish he stayed at 132lb to see him face Castillo now that would have been nice. But no one knew Castillo was dropping either.
But there’s a lot of questions that need to be answered before solidifying this answer. Let’s just make a 4 man tourney Ybarra, Guerrero, Tellez, and Castillo winner takes all. Sorry so long!!!
Guerrero won freakshow also

FamousLie

I would like to see Valiant at state, but the problem is they have much higher ambitions. To them our state tournament is basically a JV meet. They could win it, but it doesn't really mean a lot to them. If it did a lot of those kids would have stayed at their last high schools and won state titles for their schools they were at. Ramos won a state title for Casteel and would have been a favorite in D2, Sunnyside or not. They have much higher aspirations than being state champions which I commend them for.

I would like to see Valiant at state, but the problem is they have much higher ambitions. To them our state tournament is basically a JV meet. They could win it, but it doesn't really mean a lot to them. If it did a lot of those kids would have stayed at their last high schools and won state titles for their schools they were at. Ramos won a state title for Casteel and would have been a favorite in D2, Sunnyside or not. They have much higher aspirations than being state champions which I commend them for.
Sunnyside has much higher aspirations as well. A school that builds kids up from within the program. Nothing but scrappy Southside kids, that come from nothing. The end goal of the program is not to just win titles. But to develop young men who will be good people throughout their lives and leave an impact beyond what mere state titles can do.

I won't necessarily say state would be a jv tournament for them, they're good but not untouchable.

They cant wrestle at AIA events. Not an AIA accredited school. Eric larkin coaches them

Arizona schools wrestle out of state, just like out of state teams who aren’t apart of the AIA wrestle in Arizona events not including sections or state.

Have you check what the bylaws state? I don’t have this years copy.

Coach Pat

Valiant Prep cannot wrestle at any AIA sanctioned event. It is why they go to all the Rocky Mountain Nationals, USA Wrestling, and NUWAY events. Some other states have different rules. Its the reason why Blair can wrestle at Beast of the East and Ironman. But in AZ you have to be an AIA team to wrestle at an AIA sanctioned event and all of our in state tournaments that we all go to or recognize, are AIA sanctioned events.

blackbaby

Question about all the talk, does being a four time state champion mean anything to you experts or is that not the main goal anymore. Have one good year and your the best .

chingon76

Staff member
Question about all the talk, does being a four time state champion mean anything to you experts or is that not the main goal anymore. Have one good year and your the best .
and with that note...
I would say Dawon Andrews should be in the mention for Best Wrestler 2019 along with teammate Finch.
I always enjoy watching Andrews wrestle. Super smooth, super tough, and he never seems worried.