Best HS Wrestler in AZ 2019??

AveJoe

Question about all the talk, does being a four time state champion mean anything to you experts or is that not the main goal anymore. Have one good year and your the best .[/
Very solid points, Tellez did win Freak Show, I’m not sure if it was at Varsity or Elite? Huge difference! Other thing is Castillo, Tellez and Guerrero all train together under Coach Vega with Tucson Cyclones. It was probably known that M. Castillo was dropping to 134 so adjustments could be made. Now with that happening makes Castillo the man! Tellez was very impressive at state, but I’d have to say top dog in AZ is Marcus Castillo this year.
Since all 3 guys train together and Ybarra got beat by Tellez then the answer should be clear. Cause I’m sure the coaching staff knows who is better then who between the 3 of them. So if You know and have seen them all practice I’d have to agree and say Castillo is the top dog in AZ. Maybe we will see them all compete this off season. ‍♂️ Would be nice to see those battles.

chingon76

Staff member
Bunch of pinche haters on here....lol. the title says who is the best wrestler in AZ , it does not say who you hate the most. Since when is 18 half the age of 19 (was 18 a few months ago you know)....smh....anyways.

M. Castillo hands down. Why is this even questioned? Nobody even got close.
I think the groves brothers from McClintock -chandler were also 19 when they graduated.

Question about all the talk, does being a four time state champion mean anything to you experts or is that not the main goal anymore. Have one good year and your the best .
Well we all know who your referencing too. Statistically he is not the best. But the kid is a phenomenal talent. Probably will be considered one of the best to come out of AZ when it's all said and done. Being a 4x is great, but I think being a 4x here in AZ doesn't hold as much value. All the tough kids are spread out across 4 divisions. AZ should have 2 divisions at the least. The top Kids in the state go back to their respective division at state and have no one to challenge them. At that point winning state for them is like wrestling a jv tournament

Bunch of pinche haters on here....lol. the title says who is the best wrestler in AZ , it does not say who you hate the most. Since when is 18 half the age of 19 (was 18 a few months ago you know)....smh....anyways.

M. Castillo hands down. Why is this even questioned? Nobody even got close.
Arizona is full of haters. No one can simply enjoy watching and supporting a kid that has remarkable talent. Everyone always finds something to hate on any great kid.

blackbaby

Well we all know who your referencing too. Statistically he is not the best. But the kid is a phenomenal talent. Probably will be considered one of the best to come out of AZ when it's all said and done. Being a 4x is great, but I think being a 4x here in AZ doesn't hold as much value. All the tough kids are spread out across 4 divisions. AZ should have 2 divisions at the least. The top Kids in the state go back to their respective division at state and have no one to challenge them. At that point winning state for them is like wrestling a jv tournament[/QUOT

pops

I’m going to give my nomination for 2018-2019 AZ best wrestler and I am biased. Alfonso Martinez Desert Vista. I believe all nominees are deserving. My reasoning is he was scored on only once all year in our great state of Arizona. As far as the practice room he played a big part in making his teammates better wrestlers. His 160 and 170 teammates both are D-1 state champions. Like I said I’m biased.

blackbaby

well let me see is red mountain, perry, marana mountain view , and flowing wells good tournaments to wrestle against division 1 2 3 and 4, and not change your weight class but face whoever is there. Finch wrestled Bravo, Andrews wrestled Anthony, and Guerrero wrestled Ybarra that's the sign of outstanding wrestlers wanting to wrestle the best so they can get better.What else do you want.

well let me see is red mountain, perry, marana mountain view , and flowing wells good tournaments to wrestle against division 1 2 3 and 4, and not change your weight class but face whoever is there. Finch wrestled Bravo, Andrews wrestled Anthony, and Guerrero wrestled Ybarra that's the sign of outstanding wrestlers wanting to wrestle the best so they can get better.What else do you want.
I say less divisions in AZ would be better. That's just my opinion. But I do love the fact that the big names are going in to face each other at tourneys like flowing wells.

Peoria is another great tournament to see who is the best at a weight. In my opinion it's the toughest tournament in AZ.

Coach P

I’m going to give my nomination for 2018-2019 AZ best wrestler and I am biased. Alfonso Martinez Desert Vista. I believe all nominees are deserving. My reasoning is he was scored on only once all year in our great state of Arizona. As far as the practice room he played a big part in making his teammates better wrestlers. His 160 and 170 teammates both are D-1 state champions. Like I said I’m biased.
Alfonso Martinez was definitely untouchable this year. M. Castillo/A Martinez are top two...but they did not beat a Fernandez/Andrews...lol.

blackbaby

Arizona is full of haters. No one can simply enjoy watching and supporting a kid that has remarkable talent. Everyone always finds something to hate on any great kid.
Everyone need to understand azwrestler is to compare and talk good about our wrestlers lets don't get mad and say the wrong things.

arizonalove

Dawon Andrews is a 4x state champ, and I know he is a fargo champ. He lost twice in his high school career. I was wondering if any of the young men mentioned has those kind of credentials?

Ray Miro

I would like to see Valiant at state, but the problem is they have much higher ambitions. To them our state tournament is basically a JV meet. They could win it, but it doesn't really mean a lot to them. If it did a lot of those kids would have stayed at their last high schools and won state titles for their schools they were at. Ramos won a state title for Casteel and would have been a favorite in D2, Sunnyside or not. They have much higher aspirations than being state champions which I commend them for.
Maybe they should change States if the competition is so below them. I observed many talented kids wrestling last weekend. Less than 5 % of kids who wrestle in HS will ever wrestle in college. The importance of a HS program better go way beyond the elite kids. It's not that hard to claim greatness of your program or of any program if all you have to do is train the supposed elite. Not saying that those coaches don't know their stuff but I would rather see a program grow locally and be developed like that.

chingon76

Staff member
Maybe they should change States if the competition is so below them. I observed many talented kids wrestling last weekend. Less than 5 % of kids who wrestle in HS will ever wrestle in college. The importance of a HS program better go way beyond the elite kids. It's not that hard to claim greatness of your program or of any program if all you have to do is train the supposed elite. Not saying that those coaches don't know their stuff but I would rather see a program grow locally and be developed like that.
I agree wholeheartedly!

I attend to stay off this site lately because bashing and making excuses against great wrestlers seems to be the main topic. Looks like a bunch of Coaches and parents living in their kids shoes! Now it is pouring into social media and wrestlers have started to bash each other on it.
I saw pure talent on that mat. I saw wrestlers who have defined themselves as hard workers. They have to stay mentally and physically strong and put their bodies in some painful positions. To read all of this gossip and kid bashing is sad! We are turning wrestling into the WWE.
I know many wrestlers that accomplished great things at state.

This year I have seen more parents and wrestlers and coaches turn this sport into a testosterone game!