Outside Practice

Jose.Martinez

Are high school wrestlers in Arizona allowed to practice (not compete) with clubs or do clinics during the high school season?

FamousLie

I wondered because the AIA executive board voted against allowing them to join as an associate member so now they're in the Canyon Athletic Association. As much as I like to bag on the AIA I think that's a good thing. They would beat any CAA team easily, probably even with their 3rd string or junior high guys. The AIA sees them for what they are which is basically dedicated to one sport and the school exists only for that reason. It would be like if somebody had a charter school somewhere that didn't have any other sport besides football and they started attracting 30+ D1 recruit type kids and were coached by a bunch of ex NFL and college stars....kinda like what Deion Sanders did in Texas. The AIA would cut them off in a hurry and make sure they were stuck with the CAA or something else. If Valiant had at least pretended like they cared about anything besides wrestling they might have stood a chance at getting an associate membership with the AIA. The only reason they wanted it was so they could schedule duals against some Arizona schools, and all but a few might actually be competitive with them. I wonder what they'll do going forward. I noticed they're offering some other sports now, like ultimate frisbee and cross country.

Coach Pat

I like the concept of Valiant prep for anyone who would want to go and get something out of it. And i think it’s great that guys are taking AZ kids to big time tourneys. I agree that they shouldn’t be allowed in the AIA or the AIA tourney but I wish AIA schools could dual them. I think it would be great for AZ wrestling.

acestallion

14.4 NONSCHOOL PARTICIPATION
14.4.1 A student who is a member or becomes a member of a school team shall not practice, have practiced or compete with any other group, club, organization, association, etc., in that sport during the interscholastic season of competition. This rule applies to the following team sports: football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track relay and swimming relay teams. For purposes of this rule, the interscholastic season of competition shall begin with the first regularly scheduled game and conclude with that particular team's final game. Any student violating the above rule shall forfeit his/her eligibility for a minimum of the balance of the season for that sport or up to a maximum of one calendar year.

Here's where the rule is in the AIA bylaws. Wrestling is not on the list, therefore wrestlers can practice with club teams. As long as they are not affiliated with any school.

Last edited:

jfingd

Staff member
Does anyone know if Valiant gave any parents a hint that they were shooting to become AIA affiliated, as a sales tactic to get some of their wrestlers on board with the program?

If so--I think some of those parents are going to be more than a little disappointed that they are still out of the mix.

I see that Sweetman has left Valiant and is on the Brophy roster. I wonder if others will start to bail, once it becomes more obvious that the AIA seems to want nothing to do with them.

FamousLie

Does anyone know if Valiant gave any parents a hint that they were shooting to become AIA affiliated, as a sales tactic to get some of their wrestlers on board with the program?

If so--I think some of those parents are going to be more than a little disappointed that they are still out of the mix.

I see that Sweetman has left Valiant and is on the Brophy roster. I wonder if others will start to bail, once it becomes more obvious that the AIA seems to want nothing to do with them.

Sweetman's dad is a real jerk, so I could see him pulling his kid because he didn't get his way or something. Seriously just google his name and you'll see. I think it's better than Larkin doesn't have somebody like that around. I don't know if Valiant was telling parents that, but they seemed pretty confident they'd at least become an affiliate member just to be able to schedule duals against AIA affiliated teams and go to the bigger out of state tournaments. I don't know the status of their schedule, but it seems to reason that they might not be able to get into bigger out of state tournaments because the CAA isn't the "official" organization of Arizona or something. I like the idea of what they're trying to do, but the reality is there's like 2 schools equipped to do it. I thought they would have been better off approaching one of them to do it and at least have their wrestling program folded into that.

East Valley

Sweetman's dad is a real jerk, so I could see him pulling his kid because he didn't get his way or something. Seriously just google his name and you'll see. I think it's better than Larkin doesn't have somebody like that around. I don't know if Valiant was telling parents that, but they seemed pretty confident they'd at least become an affiliate member just to be able to schedule duals against AIA affiliated teams and go to the bigger out of state tournaments. I don't know the status of their schedule, but it seems to reason that they might not be able to get into bigger out of state tournaments because the CAA isn't the "official" organization of Arizona or something. I like the idea of what they're trying to do, but the reality is there's like 2 schools equipped to do it. I thought they would have been better off approaching one of them to do it and at least have their wrestling program folded into that.
Hey how about we keep personal insults out of this? Mr Sweetman has always been cool to me. I like Larkin. Schools or rules I get it. Let the opinions fly! Let's keep some good debate going. No need to single people out when they can't defend themselves.

Last edited:

FamousLie

Hey how about we keep personal insults out of this? Mr Sweetman has always been cool to me. I like Larkin. Schools or rules I get it. Let the opinions fly! Let's keep some good debate going. No need to single people out when they can't defend themselves.

Dad Sweetman is a real piece of work. I'd say ask his wife but you really can't. Knowing him the way I do I wouldn't be surprised if he threw some kind of fit and pulled his kid in a huff or Larkin told him to move on. I saw him at freestyle state, ridiculous as ever. I've got no problem with his kids, but dad is the walking and talking definition of bad news and not somebody I'd ever want to be associated with in any way.