Valiant Prep in Season Tourney

I just heard from contact in WA St., Valiant was invited to the Gut Check tourney there.
This year they have Blair Academy showing up.
But tourney organizers were told Valiant not coming because AIA wouldn't permit them? Anyone care to elaborate?
Also Clovis North and St. John Bosco were in then withdrew because CIA? forbid it. Citing Blair is a private school..
This is all second hand info.

That's what I thought..
Only thing I can think of is, only state sanctioned teams can participate in state sanctioned events. Since AIA dies not sanction Valiant, they can't go since they don't represent a state..?

FamousLie

California has a rule for their member schools of the CIF that they can't participate against prep schools anymore, so that's why. They can't play schools like IMG in football anymore and can't go to tournaments like Ironman or Beast of the East because schools like Blair or Wyoming Seminary are there.

The reason I suspect Valiant can't go is because they are members of the CAA, but the CAA is not really recognized as the official state organization by anyone else, since their athletics are inferior and they don't have an established history and they may not even be part of the NFHS. I also don't know for sure but I'd heard part of why the AIA didn't let them in had something to do with their accredidation as a school, but it sounded like more of a technical issue or something.

I like the idea of Valiant and respect the hell out of them for going for it.

California has a rule for their member schools of the CIF that they can't participate against prep schools anymore, so that's why. They can't play schools like IMG in football anymore and can't go to tournaments like Ironman or Beast of the East because schools like Blair or Wyoming Seminary are there.

The reason I suspect Valiant can't go is because they are members of the CAA, but the CAA is not really recognized as the official state organization by anyone else, since their athletics are inferior and they don't have an established history and they may not even be part of the NFHS. I also don't know for sure but I'd heard part of why the AIA didn't let them in had something to do with their accredidation as a school, but it sounded like more of a technical issue or something.

I like the idea of Valiant and respect the hell out of them for going for it.

Thanks! Very informative.
As a wrestling fan I absolutely love what Valiant is doing.
Hopefully we can see them join the AIA and go to tough national tourneys in season.

Coachdoerr

I just heard from contact in WA St., Valiant was invited to the Gut Check tourney there.
This year they have Blair Academy showing up.
But tourney organizers were told Valiant not coming because AIA wouldn't permit them? Anyone care to elaborate?
Also Clovis North and St. John Bosco were in then withdrew because CIA? forbid it. Citing Blair is a private school..
This is all second hand info.
Arizona schools go to out of state tournaments. They go to California and Nevada what is the difference. I don’t think AIA would say no

Coach Pat

Arizona schools go to out of state tournaments. They go to California and Nevada what is the difference. I don’t think AIA would say no
Valiant isn’t anAIA school. And the sending school also has to follow the other states guidelines. I know one of the issues Larkin had at Seton Catholic was they wanted to go to Beat of the East and AIA won’t let members schools compete in Sunday’s. Just as an example of how restrictive the AIA can be

FamousLie

Thanks! Very informative.
As a wrestling fan I absolutely love what Valiant is doing.
Hopefully we can see them join the AIA and go to tough national tourneys in season.

I doubt Valiant will be able to join the AIA honestly. It's so sport specific that the AIA took one look at them and knew exactly what the school was about. I don't mean that in a negative way but we all know why the school was created. The AIA doesn't need them and dealing with Valiant would be more of a headache than they need in a sport they already don't care about.

Coachdoerr

Valiant isn’t anAIA school. And the sending school also has to follow the other states guidelines. I know one of the issues Larkin had at Seton Catholic was they wanted to go to Beat of the East and AIA won’t let members schools compete in Sunday’s. Just as an example of how restrictive the AIA can be
Yuma high use to go to the cheese head tournament in Wisconsin and there was never an issue

FamousLie

Yuma high use to go to the cheese head tournament in Wisconsin and there was never an issue

Yuma High isn't a private school that appears to be created specifically for high level wrestlers and wasn't rejected being an associate member of the AIA either. The reason it's an issue is because I don't think the CAA is part of the NFHS which most high school state associations are part of and handles sanctioning of interstate tournaments and such. Valiant is part of the CAA (I think anyway), but if they aren't then they don't have the same regulations member of the NFHS have to meet, whatever those are. Valiant is also a private school where parents send their kids for the educational and athletic benefits, and arguably they have the best coaching staff in the state. I like the model, and I like that they are going for it, but my opinion and I'm not alone in thinking this, is that they should have gone to an existing school and run it through there like they tried with Seton. Realistically only a handful of schools have the heft to pull off what Valiant is doing. I respect them a lot for making their own way and I hope they prove me wrong and succeed.