Weekend Wars 2017

Jason Norman

Coach Chagolla, we went once last year when we lived in Payson. We had a great experience. We now live in Albuquerque and we are working on bringing some New Mexico wrestlers this year!

MingusCoach

Staff member
Awesome, let me know if you need a place to stay. We would love to have you folks join in on the fun.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Here's another letter from a coach; WOW! and thank you is all I got to say.

" Our students are placed here for the most part because they have no other place to go. They are full of mistrust in adults and the system as a whole. I could tell you stories that would break your heart concerning the experiences of our young men; unfortunately they are the rule not the exception. A major focus of our program is to provide treatment and opportunity to facilitate healing for these young men. A major avenue for this is accomplished through our participation in Interscholastic Sports. I have had tremendous success in helping the young men that participate in wrestling find a new direction of thought concerning their lives, and as trivial as it might sound, Camp Verde's wrestling program has been and still is a monumental element to that success.
The success of the Wrestling program is a reflection of the quality of its leadership. Cowboy wrestlers are champions on the mat, but more importantly they are champions off the mat. The support, hospitality and opportunity given from the open tournaments provided in Camp Verde's wrestling room allow my student athletes to learn more about Wrestling, build positive fellowship with their peers, experience hospitality and kindness from those they would previously considered foes, and more important it helps create and re-enforce a new belief that the world as a whole is not as hopeless as many of them have come to believe which they internalize and begin to give back in their environment.
The young men that I have had the privilege to bring to Camp Verde have demonstrated remarkably visible attitude and behavior changes, and they openly credit their desire to continue to come to Camp Verde as the motivating force behind that change. They feel part of a greater "brotherhood", a spirit I give full credit to Coach Chagolla for creating in that room. My student athlete's exposure to wrestlers from around Arizona as well as from neighboring states has been a positive force of change for the 35 different young men that have had the experience of being welcomed into a champion's home and treated as part of a family.

I recommend Weekend Wars to all coaches and wrestlers because the great impact a simple Saturday of wrestling has on the lives of so many young men.
Thank you for time and your service to the youth of Arizona,"

MingusCoach

Staff member
Attendance records again were high. It is truly unbelievable the amount of matches being averaged at Weekend Wars. Not only High School but the Little guys attendance were phenomenal. We also had many girls wrestling. All those who were assertive averaged 14 matches by 11AM.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Thank you to all the Coaches and parents who brought kids from; Holbrook, Glassford Hills, Mountain Storm, Vista Verde, Peoria, Basis, New Breed, Mingus, Snowflake, Show low, Millennium, Moon Valley, Apollo, Liberty, Combs, Winslow, AZ Champs, Yuma Catholic, Chino Valley, Bradshaw Mountain, North Canyon High, Mile High, South Mountain, Herrera Elementary, Bonnie Brennan Elementary, Jefferson Elementary, Washington Elementary, Litchfield, Desert Edge, Taylor Hicks Elementary, Avondale, Camp Verde Elementary, Cottonwood, Glendale, Brophy, Buckeye Union, Cactus, Pinedale, Phoenix, Fremont Jr High, Deer Valley, Zuni Hills, Chandler, Window Rock, Humboldt, Surprise, Clarkdale, St Joseph, Mountain Ridge, San Tan Valley, Lake Pleasant, Camp Verde and Flagstaff.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just a reminder, Weekend Wars this Saturday, May 13th. Attendance records continue to be high with many quality matches being produced. Most assertive kids averaged 14 matches.

This is the place for quality mat time during the off season. The tournament attracts many serious contenders from throughout Arizona and from out of state. Anybody that’s a serious wrestler, practices and participates in Summer tournaments as preparation for the Winter season. Each wrestler who attends is given the opportunity to wrestle up to five matches. This is a big draw for other teams statewide, as well as teams from out of state, who face the same dilemma, which is the lack of wrestling competition. Nonstop grappling takes place on seven mats and by the end of the day there is an abundance of mat burns, a few bloody noses, but a wealth of wrestling experience for each athlete that makes the trip to Camp Verde.

Many kids perform hours of practice throughout the week in preparation to attend New Breeds, “Weekend Wars” tournaments. Their reward is to do battle with another dedicated young champion, pushing each other to even greater heights. Kids that wish to move up another level in their wrestling skills, can ask any coach for technical advice. I guarantee before the day is over, if you wrestled against the best, they will have helped you expose the weaknesses you must work on. Many coaches and parents come together to create a motivational environment most conducive to the wrestlers success. We measure and motivate them; and so they leave here highly inspired with an attitude to excel.

Wrestlers who do not participate in our Weekend Wars, lose valuable mat time, opportunities for receiving critical technical advice, and miss out coming together with individuals from various races, economic backgrounds, and different styles of wrestling quality levels. All of this free of charge!

Everything is free. All we want is mat time for all kids. I highly recommend it to anyone that wishes to move up another level in their wrestling skills. Weigh-in starts at 7:00AM. Folkstyle Wrestling starts at 8:00 AM (three one minute periods) and usually finishes by noon. We would like parents and coaches to ensure that all your kids sign a waiver (see attached). You must bring a waiver every week. For those of you who have been asking how they can help support these weekend wars, I could really use help with refereeing and a case of water bottles. Once again thanks to all the Coaches and Parents who support this function. Many kids thanked us for putting on Weekend Wars for them. Many kids are benefiting from all our collaborative efforts as a brotherhood.

Wrestlers- Three one minute periods of Folkstyle competition. Kindergarten thru high school. Tons of kids show up in every weight class. No lifting in the air. All wrestlers should bring their own white athletic tape and wrestling shoes. (singlet’s and head gear are optional) You must sign the attached release form. Weigh-ins start at 7:00 AM and wrestling commences at 8:00 AM. Please don’t be late as this only holds up everything.

Just a reminder, please have your wrestlers bring their own, white tape, nose plugs, band aids and med kit. I cannot afford to supply all of Arizona's medical needs. Contrary to rumors circulating. I did not receive a "Stimulus" package from Obama.

If you are using Map Quest, use 321 W Apache Trail, Camp Verde AZ 86322 as your destination. So if you want to see different styles of wrestling to help you improve then you should come up. So come on up and join in on the fun

Thank you Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
Nevada Team coming up this weekend. They always bring their studs. It would be a great opportunity for those of you looking to test your skills. So come on up and join in on the fun

MingusCoach

Staff member
Again we had a great turnout. Not only did we have a team from Nevada but we also had Albuquerque New Mexico in the house. They produced some great matches. Thanks to all the parents and coaches who volunteered their services.

MingusCoach

Staff member
I received this message from a coach and felt compelled to share it with you.

I have been following the Camp Verde wrestling program for the past 21 years. I have watched you go from a mediocre team in the weakest region in the state, to one of the top five programs in the State every year. And that isn't just among small schools. It is of schools of any size. More importantly, I have watched many of the kids in the program grow into adults and terrific human beings. Many of those kids - the type of kids who would be considered at risk - continuing on in their education after High School.

The Camp Verde wrestling family has taken this gift and has shared it with anybody in the State willing to show up to that Wrestling Facility. Thereby helping your program as well as hundreds of kids in other programs. This includes many kids I have coached, and includes my child. You are able to do so because you have a facility large enough to handle that many participants. It is a facility which - when you show up - is filled with an atmosphere of friendship, e'spirit de corps, making kids better wrestlers, and more importantly, better human beings. This value has touched me so much.

In conclusion, even though I have a key to the wrestling room in my own town, I still make the seven hours worth of driving time, to experience the value of that wrestling facility and family. I have made that drive with kids ages from six up to high school seniors. From wrestling state champions to exceptional needs children. In every trip the kids always pick up something of value.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just a reminder Weekend Wars this Saturday. WOW! Last weekend we had visitors from Nevada, and New Mexico. That combined with the wrestlers from all around Arizona produced some great matches. The quality level was that of the state championship caliber.

It is amazing to see everyone that attends and the new friends we meet every other weekend. It’s a great honor that we gather together as colleagues, witnessing wrestlers of the past who now carry on the torch and are coaching and mentoring the youth in their communities. The room is full of souls with passion for the sport providing technical advice and placing hope in the hands of our children.

The kids learn that it is important to set goals, to follow your dreams and reach for the stars. That we need to pursue our visions, as well as take risks that may be foreign to us. To take every chance or opportunity that comes your way, because they go fast, and regret is the one thing that can never be made up for. We tell them, "In everything you do, think about it and how it affects you and everybody around you." To "stay safe and realize that the choices you make today will affect the rest of your life." They both really hit on how important your every move is, and how your life can strongly impact those around you. This is the quality of mentorship provided daily while in their journey through our Weekend Wars program, where the best get better.

So come on up and join in on the fun.

Thank you

Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
For those of you who ask every year. Yes the town pool across the street will be open at noon on Saturday. It's $1.50 for 15 and under. $2.50 for 16 and up. Every year they have allowed kids to take a shower before going home for free. Hopefully they will continue that practice. Unfortunately I have no control over their rules and procedures.

Last edited:

MingusCoach

Staff member
New Mexico just called and they are bringing 3 state champions for Weekend Wars. So if your looking to test your skills, tomorrow would be a good day for it. So come on up and join in on the fun

MingusCoach

Staff member
It was a great day at Weekend Wars. With California and New Mexico Piedra Vista wrestlers in the house it made for some awesome matches. These guys kicked butt. The superior quality of wrestling they brought was phenomenal. Without a doubt they pushed Arizona wrestlers to greater heights.

The out of state competitors went undefeated for the day. There’s no doubt these guys have been blessed with some gifts. Even though they have been doing it for many years, their incredible ability and poise under pressure continue to amaze wrestling fans everywhere and will continue to draw more fans to the sport. These guys possess a highly extraordinary natural ability that allows them to perform at an exceptional level. That coupled with a unique combination of fundamental soundness, grace, speed, power and an unquenchable competitive desire, these boy’s prove they will continue to be top contenders at State, Nationals and future college prospects.

The Unsung Hero Award goes to a person within the Community who unselfishly donates towards the overall success of the Weekend Wars Program. This week's recipients are, James and Nicole Callaghan, who recognize all the life lessons that wrestling teaches our youth. We are grateful for the many contributions they have made to advance our children in the community. Their endless devotion to help others quality of life rise, have inspired our youth and changed many lives for the best. They not only serve as mentors but provide all this support (behind the scenes) at no personal gain. Their community service empowers both adults and children alike to be successful in life and helps create opportunities for our kids to achieve their dreams. They are people with a vision of a better tomorrow, for the kids in our community. Many thanks to you folks from California.

MingusCoach

Staff member
I received this in an email and thought I would share it with you.

Coach,
Wow on behalf of my son , my wife and myself we wholeheartedly would like to say Thank you for all that you do. You are to us some sort of Wrestling Angel sent from above to help save the sport and ensure the future generations are honing their battle skills. Your program , your community and the support you receive from those around you is very refreshing for us to see.. your program is great because of the devotion you have to the kids and the others around you buying into your philosophy. It all works together as one cohesive unit ..every time we come to your wrestling country neck of the woods, we leave with a little more insight on what needs to be worked on . Where we stand in our training both mentally and physically. Your place can humble a wrestler very quick and remind that wrestler that he has holes in his game. We love this sport , we love what your doing and we love being around people like yourself who keep it real but have the safety and security of these kids as top priority above the wrestling itself. ... thank you again coach and we will continue to be fans of Weekend Wars and fans of the style of professionalism you bring to the mat room.
James Callaghan
Nicole Callaghan
Griffin Callaghan

MingusCoach

Staff member
I would like to thank all the Coaches for their contributions to Weekend Wars. We appreciate your invaluable support in helping us develop Weekend Wars into one of the best Off-season quality Mat time programs around.

We could never have achieved so much without coaches like yourselves. It is through your kindness and desire to help kids in the community that truly impresses me. I am truly touched by your generosity, your spirit, and willingness to go out of your way to help kids. You are a real Mentor. I am indeed lucky to have a friend like you in my life. Thank you again for being so thoughtful in your support.

Just a reminder that this Saturday June 10, 2017 is the next Weekend Wars. See you all there.

Thanks

Coach Chagolla

Last edited:

MingusCoach

Staff member
This is another testimonial letter I have received from a coach in Arizona.

To whom this may concern:

My letter is to express the thanks and gratitude for the Camp Verde wrestling community on behalf of athletes, coaches, parents, and fans across the state of Arizona. For the past 10 summers the staff and wrestlers at Camp Verde have opened the doors of their wrestling room to encourage friendly competition from athletes around the southwestern United States. There are not many wrestling rooms that could host this many wrestlers. This was all done out of kindness of heart and at NO COST! In today’s world of prep athletics there is so much focus of traveling all around the country, competing in the biggest tournaments, attending the finest camps, and so on. Not all athletes can afford this, thus leaving the less fortunate athletes out in the cold, and in turn further behind in the chances to earn a college scholarship.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Great news. Just got a call from Aztec New Mexico that they are coming up to our next Weekend Wars on June 24th with many state placers. So if your looking for some great competition come on up and join in on the fun.

Great news. Just got a call from Aztec New Mexico that they are coming up to our next Weekend Wars on June 24th with many state placers. So if your looking for some great competition come on up and join in on the fun.
California has plans to come again... See ya on Saturday coach

MingusCoach

Staff member
Awesome! Sounds like another great weekend for mat time. So I invite all of you up. Come test your skills against different styles of wrestling. In there lies the secret to your success. When competing against all the variations of styles, it will expose weakness that you can correct/modify.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Weekend wars was awesome with huge number of wrestlers in attendance. All three out of state teams brought quality wrestlers. The quality of wrestling matches was phenomenal. Unbelievable is the best way to describe several of the matches. Thank you to all those who came up and participated.