Who is going where? College Talk now that High School Season is over

chingon76

Staff member
We all know RBY is off to Penn State. I just read that Danny Vega is back from Iowa because of homesickness :( vega leaves
Sadly, I know he's not the only one that has come back from college because of being homesick. I know of several other wrestlers that have done the same thing (all from AZ ) I'm not sure how we can better equip these young people to deal with loneliness in college.

Anyone know where kids are headed? We had a few 4 time state champions this year. We have a lot of seniors graduating too. So where are they headed?

Matwizard

We all know RBY is off to Penn State. I just read that Danny Vega is back from Iowa because of homesickness :( vega leaves
Sadly, I know he's not the only one that has come back from college because of being homesick. I know of several other wrestlers that have done the same thing (all from AZ ) I'm not sure how we can better equip these young people to deal with loneliness in college.

Anyone know where kids are headed? We had a few 4 time state champions this year. We have a lot of seniors graduating too. So where are they headed?

Gator Groves-Chandler, also a 4x State Champ is headed to Harvard.

WrestlingMom

Vargas from Apache Junction is heading off to Briar Cliff University in IA. He signed his National Letter of Intent back in November.

I have never commented on here and typically just watch the conversations but this topic hits home. I do wonder what other parents have done to make sure their child is prepared. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Matt daniel

Sorry that was incomplete. Just wanted to encourage everyone to let us know where our Az.
wrestlers are going to college so that we can continue to follow them and support them as they move on to the next level

chingon76

Staff member
As an educator both in the classroom and on the mat... it really bugs me when kids come back and leave college. Homesickness is part of life. But being away from home teaches us to be alone and stand by ourselves. Just like wrestling does. What am I doing to make sure my wrestlers stay to their commitments? I think every coach needs to answer this. We can be content with "you step on the mat and do your thing" or we can say "wrestling teaches us to face our fears and our discomfort". College life is lonely sometimes. I remember very clearly calling home just to hear my mom's voice. Wrestling at the next level is undoubtedly another quotient to that loneliness but it's sad to see our boys or girls come home. To have the opportunity to go to school is so very important. It is so very important to stay in college.

WrestlingMom

Completely agree! I always tell Taylor that his education is 1st. He has worked hard on and off the mat which is why he got an academic and wrestling scholarship! I honestly think I worry more than him but he’s our only child.

Austin

My name is Austin Blomquist and I wrestle at Yuma Catholic. My friend Richard Molina and I will be continuing our wrestling career at a junior college called Northland Community and technical college!

Dad3wrestlers

hard work, pays off
My boy Alexander Jordan is attending Adam's State, in Colorado. We just went up met the coach, had a great conversation and the boy really liked the wrestling conversations they had, plus he loves the temperature and the school, D2 should be good competition. Best thing a family can do is go visit schools, we had airline vouchers so that helped but Adam's and Western are only about 10 hours drive. Good luck! I got one left.....

mvwrestling

Marana Mt. View Wrestling
Andrew Cota - DIII - Hunter College - New York
Jacob Frias - JUCO - North Idaho Jr. College
Jayce Cuhna - 2017- NAIA - Embry Riddle
Frankie Lee - 2017 - DIII - St. Olaf College - Minnesota

Hillis

Window Rock 2018 graduate, Jimmizan Redhorse will attend Adams State and will try for a spot on the team.

My name is Austin Blomquist and I wrestle at Yuma Catholic. My friend Richard Molina and I will be continuing our wrestling career at a junior college called Northland Community and technical college!
Austin- You and your family are a first class act. My son wrestled you at sectionals and we were rooting for you both at state. Your dad gave my son some pointers. We wish you and your friend the best of luck. That college is lucky to have you.