2018-2019 D2 Pre-Season Rankings

Coach P

Is it me or has this AIA realignment just killed the wrestling community engagement.....only 3 weeks away from the season and nobody seems to be talking. Crickets around here....

Tbone46

Is it me or has this AIA realignment just killed the wrestling community engagement.....only 3 weeks away from the season and nobody seems to be talking. Crickets around here....

It has been very quiet. Let's get something started. Looking at D2 I am a bit biased but section 1 with Sunnyside, Cienega, Mt. View and IR looks like the toughest in D2 for sure.

The word is that Sunnyside is stacked at every weight class once again. I'd be interested in seeing what their lineup looks like, as compared to Cienega, M.V. and Ironwoods lineups, etc. Does anyone know the potential lineups for these 4 teams, 3 weeks away?

Coach P

It has been very quiet. Let's get something started. Looking at D2 I am a bit biased but section 1 with Sunnyside, Cienega, Mt. View and IR looks like the toughest in D2 for sure.
Yup....D2 Section one is toughest in the whole state.....Darn AIA, SS in D1 would have been great to see, but no, guess SS will have another 5+ state champs! SS will have minimal comp in D2 this year. One great three way dual is gonna be at Safford HS, with Walden Grove and SS. Look at the ranking, SS has a guy at almost every weight ranked. The fight for second is wide open....lol. SS will be Peoria and FW champs! You heard it first here.

That may very well be the case, Sunnyside always has the potential to run the tables. However, I was curious as to head-to-head by weight between the four schools, or any other tough school in D2. What's each schools lineup? SS may have a guy ranked at almost every weight but the rankings are also watered down quite a bit, with kids ranked at the same weight as last years state tournament, which more than likely won't be the case this year. Let's talk realistic lineups. There has to be a good idea of lineups now that we're only 3 weeks away?!

Da dude

For the first time in a while, SS has a complete lineup. Not just at the lighter weights. Good things going on there! There on a roll

For the first time in a while, SS has a complete lineup. Not just at the lighter weights. Good things going on there! There on a roll
Can you tell us what their potential lineup is looking like from top to bottom? How about Cienega, MV, Ironwood Ridge. Does anyone care to open up?

Last edited:

Coach P

Can you tell us what their potential lineup is looking like from top to bottom? How about Cienega, MV, Ironwood Ridge. Does anyone care to open up?
Hi Truth,
SSHS line up is pretty much up on this thread...check the rankings. I keep hearing about MV, IR, and Cienega, but nobody seems to bring up anyone in particular. Other than a few state placers from last year, I don't see them even competing with SS.

Tbone46

Hi Truth,
SSHS line up is pretty much up on this thread...check the rankings. I keep hearing about MV, IR, and Cienega, but nobody seems to bring up anyone in particular. Other than a few state placers from last year, I don't see them even competing with SS.

Dang Coach P season hasn’t started and you already got them winning it. Thankfully there is a lot of wrestling to do between now and February. I’m sure those schools appreciate the bulletin board material though.

Coach Pat

Sunnyside is always going to be tough. Great coaching, great tradition, great wrestlers, great community support. I dont typically like to post whole line ups of my team just because no one knows whats going to happen. And if one of my kids were to look on here and not see his name, what does that do to his confidence. Just my two cents. I'll suggest my kids on rankings and things like that, but until the season starts, I have no idea what our lineup really is going to look like.

That being said, Cienega has put in a ton of work in the off season. Lots of freestyle and Greco, lots of kids to Western Regionals, lots of clinics and camps (ASU) over the summer, and some good, hard work in the room this fall. And we are returning 6 state placers (two of whom were state finalists) and two more kids that lost in the blood round. Ironwood Ridge has been putting in time too, traveling and competing and I believe they're bringing back 3 or 4 state placers and some heavy hitters. And then, of course, Mountain View is always tough with a returning champ, a couple runners ups, and Lopez transferring from Walden Grove. That makes for some stiff competition and a great showing for Southern Arizona.

Coach P

No discredit to the D2 Schools at all. I know Cienega, MMV, and IR have always had/have great programs (and feeder programs.......;)). Coach Leon has always put some serious time, effort, and talent into the SS wrestling program. It certainly shows now through the kids and how the program is running. For what it's worth, I feel the same way if they were in D1...LOL.

mbutterfield149

Here's some of my current athletes that have been working hard in preparation for the season. These are my two guys with credentials.

Nic Grace (Paradise Valley) 2017 (106) & 2018 SQ @ 113 lbs
Alec Delafield (Paradise Valley) 2018 SQ @ 138 lbs.