2019 Tucson State in Prescott

BKramer

Because I noticed an inquiry on another thread, I thought I would post here that Tucson State will be held on January 25th and 26th at the Prescott Valley Event Center. I have sent several emails and the flyer and Information sheet to folks on my distribution list so if you didn't receive it, let me know and I will send it to you. I will also have Dusty post it to our website ASAP.

Long story short...we had outgrown MHS and could no longer start the tournament during school hours on Friday. This forced us into a tough decision to limit the tournament, run ridiculously long...or move it. So we did the latter and the folks at PVEC have been great. Financially it will be a strain but we think we can break even.

Thanks!

Brett

Dad3wrestlers

hard work, pays off
Yes, that is Junior High State (ran by SunKids, i believe) then there is Folkstyle Middle School State (used to be Casa Grande High but moved last year), this tournament is only for middle school teams, so any club teams (like the one my kid was on were not allowed to attend - even though they had no middle school wrestling teams in their district. It is a real tough tournament, and i have heard it is ran well.

BKramer

Dad3 is spot-on...there are actually three middle school "state" tournaments and Tucson State in Prescott is open only to school-based teams. Tempe State is open to schools, clubs, and unattached, and the Folkstyle State is run by Arizona-USA Wrestling and open to anyone with a USA Wrestling card I believe.

Let me know if you need more information on the one we run. Contact the Pavlenkos if you want more information on Tempe and I am not sure who to contact for the USA Wrestling event - it used to be Tom Wokasch.

jfingd

Staff member
I think Tim Gressley is running the USA/folkstyle state tournament at Chandler High.

jfingd

Staff member
And--when will we stop calling it "Tucson State", now that it's in Prescott? lol.

BKramer

LOL...I hear ya...and have been thinking the same thing. Doesn't make much sense to call it Tucson State anymore...:,) Any novel ideas besides the obvious (Prescott State)?