Need to learn more about Tournaments and clubs here in AZ and more

Howie713

I am midwestern guy that wised up and moved to the warmer weather. I started wrestling towards the end of 8th grade and fell in love with it and wish I would have starter sooner. Never making to state I hoping to get my kids stared sooner than I did. I also have been told there are tournaments out there for us old guys. I would love to get back on the mat. So here goes my questions.

We live on the north side of Mesa and my boys (4 and 5 y/o) go to a Montessori school that doesn't have sports.

1. Is there clubs in the area I can get them started in? It would be a plus if I could get involved helping coach or what ever.

2. Where can I find info about open tournaments that I can get back out there?

I have been out of the loop for many years but I am excited to get back in and feel its a great way to get to bond with my boys. Thanks for your help

chingon76

Staff member
ww.eastvalleywrestlingclub.com is close to you Mesa Mountain View High School and so is redmountain high school ( I think they have a club). I know personally of EVWC and they definitely let parents on the mat for club wrestling. It is a definite family feel to east valley wrestling club

also around our area... sunkist wrestlling club at ASU Riches Wrestling Center, grindhouse east valley, thorobred wrestling club,
i'd visit all of em... and decide what style of coaching best fits your parenting etc.

Howie713

Chingon76. Thank you very much for the info. Looks like I have a lot of research to do. I have seen the EVWC but the website seems to be lacking a bit. I will have to look at all the other clubs as well.

Chapin Johnston

I agree with Chingon that East Valley is a really good club. I'd have to give Thoro the nod as #1 in the area, they have Eric Larkin, Mike Douglas, Angel Cejudo and a few other top-notch coaches. Aaron Simpson and Ryan Bader take their kids there, so that's really saying something (they won the middle school state title last weekend in Prescott). Again, East Valley and Sunkist produce some top kids, so you're good going to those as well. Last thing, Angel Cejudo also has the Olympus Wrestling Club that he runs out of the Fight Ready MMA Gym in Scottsdale, just make your decision a little tougher. LoL

Also Melvin Douglas runs a clinic out of Mesa high. His prices are very good and his coaching is outstanding. He was an Olympic team member and world champion. He does private lessons as well.