Best HS Wrestler in AZ 2019??

Jim ima

Alfonso Martinez is my pick. I will never forget the duck he hit on Kilgore in the FW finals. 3rd @ cheesehead, 1st @ moon valley, 1st @ fw, 1st @ state. IMO if anyone wants to be considered elite, programs or wrestlers, they need to be attending tournaments like Cheesehead, The Clash, Reno TOC, Doc B, Ironman, etc. not Mile High, Camp Verde and Window Rock. Nothing against those hosts or programs but they are not national level elite tournaments.

Alfonso Martinez is my pick. I will never forget the duck he hit on Kilgore in the FW finals. 3rd @ cheesehead, 1st @ moon valley, 1st @ fw, 1st @ state. IMO if anyone wants to be considered elite, programs or wrestlers, they need to be attending tournaments like Cheesehead, The Clash, Reno TOC, Doc B, Ironman, etc. not Mile High, Camp Verde and Window Rock. Nothing against those hosts or programs but they are not national level elite tournaments.
Alot of the wrestler being talked about wrestler of the year on here do travel to elite tournaments. Cant hold it against them because their HS team doesn't go to any of those tournaments. I'm sure funding is a big reason they dont attend those tournaments you mentioned. Guerrero, Ybarra, Andrews, Castillo, and Hollen go to alot out of state tournaments, so should be considered elite wrestlers. Just my opinion on these wrestlers. I'm sure there is a more of them I'm forgetting.

blackbaby

Alot of the wrestler being talked about wrestler of the year on here do travel to elite tournaments. Cant hold it against them because their HS team doesn't go to any of those tournaments. I'm sure funding is a big reason they dont attend those tournaments you mentioned. Guerrero, Ybarra, Andrews, Castillo, and Hollen go to alot out of state tournaments, so should be considered elite wrestlers. Just my opinion on these wrestlers. I'm sure there is a more of them I'm forgetting.
Junior high state has two championships per year as we all know, my question is how many of the wrestlers we're talking about besides Dawon Andrews who won 4 championships in junior high and 4 in high school to become an 8 time champion. I know there is someone else please name them thank you for your help.

Since all 3 guys train together and Ybarra got beat by Tellez then the answer should be clear. Cause I’m sure the coaching staff knows who is better then who between the 3 of them. So if You know and have seen them all practice I’d have to agree and say Castillo is the top dog in AZ. Maybe we will see them all compete this off season. ‍♂️ Would be nice to see those battles.
Ybarra also beat Tellez as well. They went 1-1 during the year. Tellez won when it mattered most though.

Carlos W.

I don't know who you guys been watching but Andrews gets my vote. He is very talented and competes on a national level all-american status. ANDREWS is the most poised wrestler I have ever seen wrestler he honestly reminds me of Ed Ruth when i see him wrestle. This young man is definitely college level material and his resume speaks for itself. I will never forget when he won as a freshmen over a top senior competitor and he has been winning ever since. This kid simply has a knack for winning!

Carlos W.

Dawon Andrews is a 4x state champ, and I know he is a fargo champ. He lost twice in his high school career. I was wondering if any of the young men mentioned has those kind of credentials?
nobody and that's my point when you look at his body of work you have to salute him you can't say he did not have any competition when he competes nationally the kid is a winner. Period

pops

If we are going to go get off 2019 and go back that far, Alfonso Martinez has 2 triple crown seasons 2013-2015 for those of you who don’t know what that is it’s 6 national championships in all 3 styles. 4 Jr high state championships, 1 PA state championship and 1 AZ state championship in high school. Talk about body of work. Nobody has accomplished anything close period.

bayoubadger

I don't know who you guys been watching but Andrews gets my vote. He is very talented and competes on a national level all-american status. ANDREWS is the most poised wrestler I have ever seen wrestler he honestly reminds me of Ed Ruth when i see him wrestle. This young man is definitely college level material and his resume speaks for itself. I will never forget when he won as a freshmen over a top senior competitor and he has been winning ever since. This kid simply has a knack for winning!
Didn't ANDREWS lose this year? The person that beat him didn't. How can Andrews be the best wrestler in the State when he wasn't even the best wrestler in his weight class?

blackbaby

If we are going to go get off 2019 and go back that far, Alfonso Martinez has 2 triple crown seasons 2013-2015 for those of you who don’t know what that is it’s 6 national championships in all 3 styles. 4 Jr high state championships, 1 PA state championship and 1 AZ state championship in high school. Talk about body of work. Nobody has accomplished anything close period.
I think Andrews have two triple crowns also and I don,t think Alfonso won in PA . But I feel they both make Arizona wrestling proud.

blackbaby

Didn't ANDREWS lose this year? The person that beat him didn't. How can Andrews be the best wrestler in the State when he wasn't even the best wrestler in his weight class?
I don't think any of the wrestlers that everyone mentioned are undefeated . I would like to see how good our arizona wrestlers would be if they wrestled year round with olympic wrestlers , rather then just their high school teammates.

pops

L
I think Andrews have two triple crowns also and I don,t think Alfonso won in PA . But I feel they both make Arizona wrestling proud.

I’m talking about national triple crowns. There has only been 3 in the state to do it Alfonso twice and Danny Vega. If you are talking AZ triple crowns Alfonso has 3. As far as winning a state title in PA yes he did he beat Arilius Dunbar in the finals at the time a nationally ranked wrestler. AZ isn’t the only state with divisions for wrestling. I’m a fan on D Andrews been watching him for over a decade the young man is outstanding. The only undefeated wrestler mentioned who wrestled a full season is Marcus Castillo FEI.

chingon76

Staff member
No he did not but he didn’t wrestle a full season. I believe wrestling a whole season should be a criteria IMO
that makes sense for sure. It's tough to maintain an unbeaten record when you are wrestling almost double the amount of matches.

Jim ima

"I don't think he won in PA" hahaha
He was a state champ as a freshman for Wyoming Seminary. The kid is a stud. If he doesn't beat Kilgore in the Flowing wells finals then we're talking about Kilgore on here too.

Really you gotta take out Ybarra (lost to Guerrrero/Tellez), Tellez (lost to Ybarra), and Guerrero (lost to Tellez 2x) for their round robin defeats.

Andrews lost to Enchemendia in Flowing Wells finals. Enchemendia was challenged at Peoria and FW but won.

IMO the two kids who really weren't challenged (in AZ) were Castillo and Martinez. Martinez traveled and Castillo did not. Just my break down. All of these kids are pretty talented and fun to watch when they have some competition.

chingon76

Staff member
i saw martinez wrestle a few times... he was never seriously challenged in any of his matches and was super fun to watch. I'd love to see some super matches between:
tellez
kilgore
guerrero
castillo
echemendia
martinez
andrews

i know some of them aren't in the same weight but i'd like to see what weight these guys "walk around";):eek:o_O

Coach P

Junior high state has two championships per year as we all know, my question is how many of the wrestlers we're talking about besides Dawon Andrews who won 4 championships in junior high and 4 in high school to become an 8 time champion. I know there is someone else please name them thank you for your help.
Andrews did not win four middle school state titles...maybe Tempe state, but not Tucson.