Administrator
Staff member
Arizona ONE TRUE CHAMPION
February 23rd, 2019
at Basha High School
5990 S. Val Vista Dr, Chandler, AZ

YOU MUST CONFIRM YOU ARE GOING - - JPOPHAM@AZVCP.COM
FREE ENTRY. JUST BRING YOUR SHOES & SINGLET
1st - 6th Place at AIA State to qualify. LETS DO THIS.

52448071_775969559469713_5662183122939150336_n.jpg

swingsingle

If this is legit it should be ran on trackwrestling so the kids have the results on their profiles to show college recruiters that they don’t back down from a challenge and whether they won it or placed, etc.

Last edited:

Coachdoerr

If this is legit it should be ran on trackwrestling so the kids have the results on their profiles to show college recruiters that they don’t back down from a challenge and whether they won it or placed, etc.
The tournament is free for the kids it cost money to run a tournament on track Just let the kids wrestle

SPRAWL

Could this be the start of a new format for State Championships with a Section Championship Tournament, followed by a Division Championship Tournament, then a True State Championship Tournament with the top 4 placers from the division Championships entered into a 16 man bracket placing the top 4, all sanctioned by the AIA and all ran on Trackwrestling???
Opinions or thoughts?

swingsingle

I understand that it’s free but if promoted and ran on one of the available tournament platforms like track or flo the kids can use the results to promote themselves to coaches outside of AZ which is what I thought was one of the purposes of this tourney. A college coach recently just contacted my kid just based on his research of his track results. College coaches are using these resources to find kids. If this is just ran on paper then what it’s posted on here and forgotten. College coaches want to see results of a tough tourney .

Coachdoerr

I understand that it’s free but if promoted and ran on one of the available tournament platforms like track or flo the kids can use the results to promote themselves to coaches outside of AZ which is what I thought was one of the purposes of this tourney. A college coach recently just contacted my kid just based on his research of his track results. College coaches are using these resources to find kids. If this is just ran on paper then what it’s posted on here and forgotten. College coaches want to see results of a tough tourney .
I understand what your saying. College coaches normally look for kids that are registered on ncaa clearinghouse trackwrestling stats are not even close to being correct my point was that it costs to have it on track and a very pretty penny if flo would even stream it.

Coachdoerr

Could this be the start of a new format for State Championships with a Section Championship Tournament, followed by a Division Championship Tournament, then a True State Championship Tournament with the top 4 placers from the division Championships entered into a 16 man bracket placing the top 4, all sanctioned by the AIA and all ran on Trackwrestling???
Opinions or thoughts?
Nope. People have talked about it for years. AIA will never change the way they do things

If this event if ran well, it will continue to grow. It’s a great start and going forward, more and more wrestlers will want to be apart of it.

This event has so much potential. Thanks for putting it together.

wjd

Opinions or thoughts?
I'd like to see this workout, but the concept is nothing new. There used to be All Star matches the week after state that tried to pit the best in state against each other, but the participation of the top wrestlers wasn't at a high level. Often they ended up with a few placers wrestling each other at different weights. Since it's not an official state event, there's probably not a ton of buy in from coaches and wrestlers. If they can get a decent turnout the first year, maybe it will snowball into something in the future.

yotesdad

I have a question. The top Admin post says that you have to be 1st through 6th to qualify at AIA state but there is non AIA wrestlers that they invited to participate as well. My question is we know where the AIA wrestlers will be wrestling at this event but where will the non AIA wrestlers be wrestling at, will it be where ever they wrestled at in what ever league they were in or do they get to cut to what ever weight they want too so they can set who they get to wrestle? Also how will this be seeded? Is there a criteria for seeding? I would also like to know why there is a middle school competitor who just wrestled Tucson State in this competition. Is this a high school tournament or open anyone as long as you were invited? Who is it that determines who is invited on the non AIA? Just some questions that I have been wondering about. I think this could be a good thing but with adding in non AIA people (this is fine) there are no guidelines in place on how this will operate. It sounds like there are rules in place for the AIA kids but none for the invited kids

swingsingle

What are you talking about I thought this was AIA div 1-4 state High school placers only? That is the criteria. What other criteria are they allowing to be able to wrestle in it? I know a kid who lost in the blood round at state he should of been a state placer but he isn't. Can we still get him in?

yotesdad

If you look at the list of confirmed wrestlers there is a number of wrestlers listed that are non AIA wrestlers. These are wrestlers that the people putting on this event have invited to attend. The way they make it sound it is a D1-D4 event but if that is the case and they are running 16 man brackets where do these extra wrestlers fit in if 1st thru 3ed place finishers have priority. This is where my questions arise from.

I'd like to see this workout, but the concept is nothing new. There used to be All Star matches the week after state that tried to pit the best in state against each other, but the participation of the top wrestlers wasn't at a high level. Often they ended up with a few placers wrestling each other at different weights. Since it's not an official state event, there's probably not a ton of buy in from coaches and wrestlers. If they can get a decent turnout the first year, maybe it will snowball into something in the future.
It was a senior all star match. Only seniors could participate.

swingsingle

The wrestler list looks like a tournament against valiant prep and everyone else. They didn't stick to their participation criteria and now everyone is backing out. I thought this tournament was to find the one true champion out DIV 1 thru 4 AIA schools not a validation tournament for Valiant prep to show it can beat the AIA's best. Should of just been forward about this from the beginning instead of promoting misleading participation criteria. Guarantee a valiant prep kid doesn't wrestler a state champion in the first round so they can find the path of least resistance to get their kids to the finals. That's why you should do this on track and make the seeding and brackets transparent so we can all see fairness if your going to include a non AIA member school in this competition.

Last edited:

SPRAWL

I have a question. The top Admin post says that you have to be 1st through 6th to qualify at AIA state but there is non AIA wrestlers that they invited to participate as well. My question is we know where the AIA wrestlers will be wrestling at this event but where will the non AIA wrestlers be wrestling at, will it be where ever they wrestled at in what ever league they were in or do they get to cut to what ever weight they want too so they can set who they get to wrestle? Also how will this be seeded? Is there a criteria for seeding? I would also like to know why there is a middle school competitor who just wrestled Tucson State in this competition. Is this a high school tournament or open anyone as long as you were invited? Who is it that determines who is invited on the non AIA? Just some questions that I have been wondering about. I think this could be a good thing but with adding in non AIA people (this is fine) there are no guidelines in place on how this will operate. It sounds like there are rules in place for the AIA kids but none for the invited kids

i agree, the Admin. says 1-6 AIA State placer to qualify, but only a 16 man bracket?? How's that supposed to work?
BTW, where can we see a list of participants?

WolfPack

Well if all 24 wrestlers show up I guess they will work it out and adapt. I do not think the participation with that high this year. So I doubt this will be an issue.

i agree, the Admin. says 1-6 AIA State placer to qualify, but only a 16 man bracket?? How's that supposed to work?
BTW, where can we see a list of participants?