D2 2019-2020 Individual Rankings

JB Doubles

Coach P, Jay Lee is correct on the Centennial clarifications, they are both on the Centennial Nevada team roster .

Attachments

• 86A15C99-1262-40BD-9F0C-BDEE4B41AB66.jpeg
    86A15C99-1262-40BD-9F0C-BDEE4B41AB66.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • C2866EB6-7E46-4C74-8497-2BBC9F01D489.jpeg
    C2866EB6-7E46-4C74-8497-2BBC9F01D489.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

jfingd

Staff member
Coach P, looking at Trackwrestling, I'm pretty sure that Norris and Ieremia are both from Centennial HS in NV, not Centennial HS in AZ, so they should probably not be ranked in AZ rankings. Feel free to confirm though, I may be wrong. Also, Calloway and Fletcher from Campo Verde and Valle from Casteel all finished 1st in the Doc Wright tournament, which supports the rankings for Fletcher and Valle, but perhaps Calloway should be ranked higher.

Haha--yeah, there was a Centennial and a Liberty there, both from Nevada.

Coach P

Anyone know what happend to Luca from Ironwood Ridge...or Villaescusa from SS? I know they were injured recently, so just hoping they are ok.

CVCougar

D2 Sec 1...the toughest sectional in state. Thoughts?
Hands down the toughest section, and not just because it has SS. Mtn View, Cienega, and Ironwood Ridge would make for a tough section by themselves. I can't wait to see how the new divisions and sections shape up, if they ever get released.

JB Doubles

D2-106

1 James Armstrong of Sunnyside
2 Eathon Rider of Millenium
3 Jackson Rustad of Casteel
4 Luis Pastoriza of Raymond Kelis
5 Daniel Miranda of Mountain View Marana
6 Timothy Valencia of Ironwood

If Rankings are based on Results Rustad should be #2 and Rider #3

Rustad took 2nd at Doc Wright and beat C. Housley (Showlow) 4-1 who beat Rider in O.T 4-2. Granted Rider took 3rd and beat the #2 seed that Housley lost too 4-2.

thoughts ?

Attachments

• 5D06D1AB-6BD1-4AC9-B7FD-3E651032FC54.jpeg
    5D06D1AB-6BD1-4AC9-B7FD-3E651032FC54.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 15

Coach P

D2-106

1 James Armstrong of Sunnyside
2 Eathon Rider of Millenium
3 Jackson Rustad of Casteel
4 Luis Pastoriza of Raymond Kelis
5 Daniel Miranda of Mountain View Marana
6 Timothy Valencia of Ironwood

If Rankings are based on Results Rustad should be #2 and Rider #3

Rustad took 2nd at Doc Wright and beat C. Housley (Showlow) 4-1 who beat Rider in O.T 4-2. Granted Rider took 3rd and beat the #2 seed that Housley lost too 4-2.

thoughts ?
Definitely a close call agreed....Just have to give Rider the #2 spot due to last year's state placing. I don't think they have wrestled head to head.

jfingd

Staff member
Definitely a close call agreed....Just have to give Rider the #2 spot due to last year's state placing. I don't think they have wrestled head to head.
They will (should) wrestle each other on Wednesday.

jfingd

Staff member
Jacob Muniz beat Guzman, 11-8

Attachments

• D5B0546E-299B-4022-ABC1-995C6F84EF7F.jpeg
    D5B0546E-299B-4022-ABC1-995C6F84EF7F.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 22

jfingd

Staff member
And Bryson Young from Mountain View beat Avery Parker of IR last night 5-2

my thoughts on 160:

1. AJ Valle, Casteel
Unbeaten in AZ.
2. Bryson Young, Mt View
Gave AJ his closest match
3. Jesse Kovacs, Apollo
Beat Justin Muniz,
4. Justin Muniz, Cactus Shadows
Beat Brandon Guzman, 34-3, only in weight loss is to Kovacs, other two are to Jacob Done and Junior Camarillo, who both dropped to 152.
5. Avery Parker, Ironwood Ridge
I don’t know much about this guy. could be up at 4, with Muniz at 5?
6. Brandon Guzman, Higley
Biggest wins are against Todd Price(twice), and Jacob Done, first match of the season. And Done’s first high school varsity match ever. Higley has a pretty weak schedule, But will see casteel in Page this weekend.

Honorable mention, Todd Prince, Williams field and Rene Flagoso, SS.

Coach Pat

my thoughts on 160:

1. AJ Valle, Casteel
Unbeaten in AZ.
2. Bryson Young, Mt View
Gave AJ his closest match
3. Jesse Kovacs, Apollo
Beat Justin Muniz,
4. Justin Muniz, Cactus Shadows
Beat Brandon Guzman, 34-3, only in weight loss is to Kovacs, other two are to Jacob Done and Junior Camarillo, who both dropped to 152.
5. Avery Parker, Ironwood Ridge
I don’t know much about this guy. could be up at 4, with Muniz at 5?
6. Brandon Guzman, Higley
Biggest wins are against Todd Price(twice), and Jacob Done, first match of the season. And Done’s first high school varsity match ever. Higley has a pretty weak schedule, But will see casteel in Page this weekend.

Honorable mention, Todd Prince, Williams field and Rene Flagoso, SS.

really good assessment. Perhaps an honorable mention. Ritchie McCormack from Cienega. List to AJ Valle up at mile high 9-5. Decent match.

jfingd

Staff member
really good assessment. Perhaps an honorable mention. Ritchie McCormack from Cienega. List to AJ Valle up at mile high 9-5. Decent match.

And now I have to revise it... Todd Prince needs to be in there, because he just majored Bryson Young in Payson over the weekend, 8-0.

Even though Kovacs pinned Muniz--I don't think he's a better wrestler... Muniz beat a Guzman, who is tougher than I remember him, after seeing him battle with AJ in the Page finals.

1. Valle
2. Muniz
2. Guzman
4. Prince
4. Parker
4. Young
5. Kovacs

HM: Flagoso, SS and McCormack, Cienega.

And i'm retired... too convoluted.

What's nice--is you have the TOP 3 (minus Muniz) in the same sectional tournament in a couple weeks. Prince, Valle, Guzman.

We'll have a rematch of the Muniz/Kovacs match at another sectional tournament.

And we'll have Parker, McCormack and Flagoso and Young battling it out in a sectional tournament.

That other section has absolutely nobody at 160...(I double checked... no body).

Last edited:

Coach Pat

And now I have to revise it... Todd Prince needs to be in there, because he just majored Bryson Young in Payson over the weekend, 8-0.

Even though Kovacs pinned Muniz--I don't think he's a better wrestler... Muniz beat a Guzman, who is tougher than I remember him, after seeing him battle with AJ in the Page finals.

1. Valle
2. Muniz
2. Guzman
4. Prince
4. Parker
4. Young
5. Kovacs

HM: Flagoso, SS and McCorkle, Cienega.

And i'm retired... too convoluted.

What's nice--is you have the TOP 3 (minus Muniz) in the same sectional tournament in a couple weeks. Prince, Valle, Guzman.

We'll have a rematch of the Muniz/Kovacs match at another sectional tournament.

And we'll have Parker, McCorkle and Flagoso and Young battling it out in a sectional tournament.

That other section has absolutely nobody at 160...(I double checked... no body).

just a quick note. It’s McCormack not McCorkle.

Jay Lee

Here are some results from the Sand Devil Classic. Team Place: 1. Casteel, 2. Higley, 3. Canyon View (UT). Casteel had 3 champions, Rustad (106), Abele (126), and Valle (160) (Valle dec 5-3 over Guzman from Higley). Higley had 2 champions, Lee at 195 and Solomon at 285. Maheras finished 2nd for Casteel at 120. David Goodman finished 2nd at 152 in OT (he and Jacob Done (placed 3rd at 152lbs) lost to the eventual champion from Montezuma Cortez (Colorado)). Harrison Hunter from Higley finished 2nd at 170 vs a kid from North Sanpete, UT. Mason Hulme (Higley) finished 2nd at 182 dec vs Durango, Colorado wrestler. Ryan Nardozzi placed 3rd for Higley at 220, Rhonin Richardson placed 4th for Higley at 138. Casteel had several other kids place 3rd, 4th, 5th. I don't remember them all, but Jaden Lemos looked strong at 145 and placed 3rd. He lost to the eventual champion also from Montezuma Cortez, I believe on points. Cardona from Casteel finished 3rd at 195lb and had several good matches (lost head to head vs Lee by fall, but still a very good match).

Coach Pat

I know we have discussed in the past the sectional makeup, and I know there isnt a perfect system, but I wonder if the AIA would consider something that wasnt regional. I mean, DII Sec I is stacked - SS, MV, IR, Cienega. We were the top four teams in state last year and all from the same section. I was looking at DISII. Liberty, Cibola, Kofa. Also stacked. There's gotta be something we can do, maybe every two years, to help split those teams up. I dont know what the answer would be, but...

Jay Lee

Historically, Campo Verde, Horizon, and Williams Field have strong teams. Casteel was new to the DII last year, but they are super strong. Higley's program is developing. They're all in Section IV, I believe.