Mile High Challenge

CVCougar

For those of you asking, this year's Mile High Challenge at the Findlay Toyota Center is scheduled for Jan 1-2. We are still working out the details with the event center to see what PV will allow for fans, and we are trying to get AIA approval to have it at 2 venues (Bradshaw Mtn HS and Findlay Toyota Center) so that we host 36 teams. We are hoping to have 170-HWT wrestle on 4 mats at the HS on day 1, and 106-160 wrestle on 6 mats at the event center (which would be equivalent to less than 24 teams at PVEC and 12 teams at BMHS). Day 2 would have the PVEC hosting the latter rounds of the boys, and BMHS hosting a girls tournament, and all finals at the PVEC with our elevated championship mat. This would allow us to have 1 or 2 weight classes per mat so that the number of wrestlers you are exposed to is limited. We have a pretty comprehensive plan for social distancing and safety so hopefully we have a wrestling season and are able to pull it off.

CVCougar

Ya, so you might want to disregard my previous message. Thanks for nothing AIA. Way to bend over backwards for football though.

Coachdoerr

Ya, so you might want to disregard my previous message. Thanks for nothing AIA. Way to bend over backwards for football though.
Exactly right. It’s sad that there have been multiple day tournaments all summer long with Thousands if kids from every state and no virus problems at all not one problem. Yet we can’t have a few hundred kids within the same state to wrestle.

Coachdoerr

There are 72 USA wrestling sanctioned events in the next 3 months in 19 states and AIA says no to a couple in state high school tournaments

wrestledoc

Can Mile High be run as an Independent tournament allowing only "unattached" wrestlers? looking carefully at the AIA rules, there is no restriction on wrestlers (and other individual sports such as tennis) competing in events as unattached or for a club team. Using non-school facilities would eliminate the AIA bureacracy, but would still have to deal with local health departments and their rules.

JB Doubles

Can Mile High be run as an Independent tournament allowing only "unattached" wrestlers? looking carefully at the AIA rules, there is no restriction on wrestlers (and other individual sports such as tennis) competing in events as unattached or for a club team. Using non-school facilities would eliminate the AIA bureacracy, but would still have to deal with local health departments and their rules.

I don't see why not, considering USA wrestling, Tulsa Nats, RMN among other promotions are doing this.

Coachdoerr

I don't see why not, considering USA wrestling, Tulsa Nats, RMN among other promotions are doing this.
I agree. Tournaments can be held all over the country with thousands of kids yet we can’t have instate tournaments with a few local kids.