2020-21 Season

CVCougar

If I am reading the metrics correctly, it looks like the AIA has pretty much shut down the season. There are 2 counties (La Paz and Mohave) that are able to compete right now, and a few more that are able to start practices with restrictions. The rest of the state (including Phoenix and Tucson) are not able to start practices today because they haven't met the numbers. But because basketball and soccer are using different metrics, they are allowed to start up. If you want a season, I suggest you take the day off and show up to the next meeting on the 16th and speak up.

Attachments

• Metrics_Winter_Sports_Nov._5th.pdf
    434.8 KB · Views: 28

Mingus Wrestling

Along with wrestling, football is categorized as a high-risk sport. Yet we still have football practices and games taking place.

Our questions should be: Are these AIA guidelines just guidelines, as the name suggests, or are they prohibitive mandates that the AIA can and will enforce? My understanding is that the onus is on districts and schools to decide.

If two schools/districts agree to compete, can we set up so-called "freedom duals" on our own even if we are in the yellow on the metrics? Again, that's what is happening with football.

Coachdoerr

Seems strange that Wrestling would be put In a higher risk than basketball. My personal thoughts 10 guys banging into each other for an hour seems riskier than 2 guys grappling for three minutes.
In my opinion it has to do with money. Wrestling doesn’t bring in money like other sports which is total BS

Levi

From what i've heard...
ALL winter sports season events will start competitions on Jan 5th, 2021 and end on Feb 19th, 2021. The season will consist of 14 matches, no tournaments. For the most part there will be no multi-meets, however there will be a few exception to this and each conference will work those out as needed. Each scheduled meet will include all levels, including girls if the school has a girls team.

Allazallstars

Any word on schedules?
or weight classes since we start after January 1st?

Also if wrestlers wrestle at that Thorobred duals tournament in December, does this mean they have to sit out the first two weeks of January duals? practices?

d3coachdad

+2lbs. on Jan 1st for all

Anyone competing in an outside tournament once their season starts (you have started practicing) must quarantine 14 days.

As soon as competition season starts (January) wrestlers cannot practice nor compete with a club/non-school entity or will forfeit the season (non-school participation 14.4.1)

This is from the AIA Wrestling Coaches meeting Tuesday.