2017 - 2018 DI preseason rankings

Da dude

Rumors. As for the kid leaving, he wanted to be a 4-timer. Was not going to happen at SS. He has a chance somewhere else, though he will have to beat the SS kid so it is still unlikely. Also, there is the possibility that he was sweet talked into heading to Chandler. Ybarra is just training up there for a week. As for RBY, you do realize you have to graduate from High School BEFORE you go to college, don't you? Things are running just fine at Sunnyside.
Hearing the same rumors. Disgruntled parents, coaches, and school officials. Chandler has a lot of resources, especially now that Larkin is there. Illinois is a hot bed for wrestling. Can’t imagine what Montini would be offering. SS isn’t really known for there funding or resources. In the past I think a lot of there success was due to the culture there. It’s obvious that something is off. I think this is one of the longest dry spells without a state title in recent years. Wrestling is no different than any other sport in that, times change and the sport changes with it.

Last edited:

bayoubadger

Hearing the same rumors. Disgruntled parents, coaches, and school officials. Chandler has a lot of resources, especially now that Larkin is there. Illinois is a hot bed for wrestling. Can’t imagine what Montini would be offering. SS isn’t really known for there funding or resources. In the past I think a lot of there success was due to the culture there. It’s obviously that something is off. I think this is one of the longest dry spells without a state title in recent years. Wrestling is no different than any other sport in that, times change and the sport changes with it.
While I understand that this is SS we are talking about I do not look at 5* (Yes I understand that one of them was technically taken away) Runner up finishes as falling off a cliff. Most schools would be pleased with a runner up finish. Other schools are now catching up, it happens.

Being a SS parent I can tell you I am not disgruntled. Coach Leon works harder and does more for these kids than any coach I have been associated with. I wouldn't want my son wrestling for another coach.

AzWildCard

2nd place isn’t the Sunnyside standard.

They are losing kids who grew up in the SS youth program. Two more ended up at Walden Grove.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

2nd place isn’t the Sunnyside standard.

They are losing kids who grew up in the SS youth program. Two more ended up at Walden Grove.
A reliable source told me that the boys who enrolled at Walden Grove were not kids that had been with the Sunnyside kids club for very long. One of them was a JV wrestler last year.

MatMaid

Everybody loves to hate SS Wrestling!

I guess we will all see how concerned everyone is about the programs stability when they get on the mat :)

az_wrestler

C,mon this is nothing new...moving... being held back...what ever edge it takes..don't hate the wrestler hate the AIA that allows it...If I could have been at SS I would have...If I can could go to Chandler right now I would...now lets get back to the rankings..certs are in 2 weeks then duel meets.

bayoubadger

Hey bud you & I normally agree but I did a double take with Hollen #2 at 182? He was giving up 15 lbs last year & made the finals at 195. He is also a Fargo Freestyle AA. It's my opinion but I'd put him at #1. (I do agree the Tucson kid is tough) Hollen won't be anywhere near 182s though. He's way too big. 195s all the way.
To throw another wrench in at 195. Rees from Sunnyside is going 195 he is healthy and been lifting hard. Definitely going to be in the mix at 195.

Jman24

I believe that you guys left Jayden Fletcher from Campo Verde in the 152 division out of the equation he was forgot in the returning qualifiers as well. he qualified and was at state last year as a freshman and will be back this year.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
I believe that you guys left Jayden Fletcher from Campo Verde in the 152 division out of the equation he was forgot in the returning qualifiers as well. he qualified and was at state last year as a freshman and will be back this year.
What weight will he be going 160?

WolfPack

Campo Verde is D II and that will not change for this season or the next two years. This thread is discussing D I rankings.

That is my opinion based on the talk going around the ro
Acording to "wolf pack" recent post, M. Groves will be at 160 also heard Mordecai is going 182

Just confirmed
Kelly is going 126 at Chandler
Kvavle is going 120 at Corona

Larkin had family that worked at SS while he went there.
AND SS was in the middle of their multi year state championship run at the time. It is no surprise he stayed there.
Would he have gone as far had he not stuck around SS??
Now he is using some of the skills he learned there to try and help build an empire / legacy for Chandler.
He should have boys in the room for long enough and his caliber of coaching is top notch.
Bound to draw new kids from all over..
My crystal ball says there will be a large increase of openinrollment and transfers to Chandler over next 10+ years
And for some reason they will mostly be wrestlers.
Haha
Acording to "wolf pack" recent post, M. Groves will be at 160 also heard Mordecai is going 182

Just confirmed
Chris Kelly going 126 at Chandler
Zack Kvavle going 120 at Corona
Corona isnt going to flowing wells this year, they are attending. CA tournament during same date as FW.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
(My opinion, updated weights 11/06/17)

1. Hunter Richards- Mesa Mountain View
2. Zack Espalin, Chandler

1. Jesse Ybarra- Sunnyside
2. Zack Kvavle- Corona
3. Alex Dieball- Desert Mountain
4. Benji Alanis- Chandler

1. Manny Garcia- Sunnyside
2. Chris Kelly- Chandler
3. Aaron Valenzuela- Kofa