2019-20 Wrestling proposals

I am going to throw this out there and see if others react to it in a way that may make it worthwhile to have a conversation about...: it seems to me that representation at state from the regions is very disproportional in terms of quality. Some regions in some weights in some years are stacked...and in other years, not so much. Wouldn't it be great if we could allocate spots at state in a weight class based on the region's strength in a particular weight class? I know this has come up numerous times over the years but until recently, we haven't really had the means by which to do the allocation independently and based on data.

I am a data scientist - this is what I do for a living. Every day we run advanced algorithms to classify people, things, machines, opinions, etc...and this scenario isn't much different and I have some ideas on how it could be done. Sure, it has some challenges, mainly data related, but I believe with some historical data, we could come up with a way to allocate spots based on depth/quality within that division > region > weight class. We could test it out and see where our algorithm is strong...and weak. Where does it "hit" and where does it "miss"?...and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't try to convince the AIA to go to such a system in year 1, but if we could get historical data, design a system, and then test it out next year, that could be a way forward. Me and my team could do the work for free.

Here is my question: Is this something coaches would get behind? Woo, at the high school level, do I need to talk to? Who needs to be on board and champion this politically? Obviously Dean Visser is key but what/who would it take to open up the conversation?

I would love to hear what people think.

Brett

I agree completely. This year our section was the only one with 11 teams. At 106 the Cesar Chavez kid did not make it to even though he took second at both Peoria and flowing Wells tournaments. One of the sections had 8 teams and a very weak 106. Now maybe that section was tougher up top but there was no reason to only have 8 schools.

One true champ tournament ideas:
First of all love the idea and this will do wonders for AZ wrestling in the aspect of college recruiting and national respect frankly. AZ forever has been known as a watered down state as far as wrestling goes. I was a state champion in high school and I heard talk about how weak my weight class was and how I wouldn't have won a different division. The state needs a true state or all state tournament.
That being said I don't like the name one true champ because just because you are a division champ should not take away from the idea that you are a state champ. That is why I like term all-state or states tournament.
As far as valiant goes stop hating it. Valiant is the future and it's a wonderful program for the next level. We should support the boys that wrestle there and devote their young lives to the sport. Other states have Wyoming seminary and Bethlehem Catholic and the best wrestlers in college come from those schools. Valiant can make AZ a wrestling powerhouse.
As well I believe we should support the boys in their quests to become state champs they are after all AZ wrestlers and live in AZ. That is why we have a separate tournament from state that it's as prestigious to place in as it is to win a division title.
I love that valiant hosts this tournament. I have some feedback on rules. First of all you can't have a serious tournament if you don't have months of anticipation so let's know about this tournament before regular season begins. I know most kids stopped watching weight as soon as state was over as well as just were happy to have their year finished.
Second, you can't have a serious tournament when the weight allowance is 6 pounds. No more than 2 pound allowance and perhaps maybe 3 weeks after state so kids can enjoy their state accomplishment and heal from the regular season.
Third is criteria, top 4 (or 6 if you are willing) at state should qualify as well as anyone who has placed at a national level caliber tournament. This could be anyone of the tournaments valiant attends, terminator, freak show, etc. If you took 5th at state, this would still count as a qualifier (sometimes the top 5 in one division would be the state 1 or 2 in the next division, if someone places at a giant tournament but bombs at state let them come).
Also I think the all state tournament would be nice if we placed 8 like they do in national tournaments, this tournament after all is not about being number 1 like the state tournament is.

as girls wrestling is "piggy backing" on boys wrestling season right now... it is a disservice to the girls and coaches. Some teams are focused on the boys and girls are only getting round about coaching in the room. Some coaches are holding separate practices for girls. In the end it is more beneficial to make girls wrestling its own season. It makes sense to hold it in spring since that is Freestyle season anyway.

I like the idea of having freestyle in the spring but it may have an adverse affect to girls wrestling as far as spectators go. Also it will cost more for officiating.
I am also alright with the idea of having one ref per mat that may not be a specialized freestyle ref. That way they can ref both the girls tournament and the boys tournament at the same time.
Let's be honest anything is better than the takedown tournament thing they did this year.

I am going to throw this out there and see if others react to it in a way that may make it worthwhile to have a conversation about...: it seems to me that representation at state from the regions is very disproportional in terms of quality. Some regions in some weights in some years are stacked...and in other years, not so much. Wouldn't it be great if we could allocate spots at state in a weight class based on the region's strength in a particular weight class? I know this has come up numerous times over the years but until recently, we haven't really had the means by which to do the allocation independently and based on data.

I am a data scientist - this is what I do for a living. Every day we run advanced algorithms to classify people, things, machines, opinions, etc...and this scenario isn't much different and I have some ideas on how it could be done. Sure, it has some challenges, mainly data related, but I believe with some historical data, we could come up with a way to allocate spots based on depth/quality within that division > region > weight class. We could test it out and see where our algorithm is strong...and weak. Where does it "hit" and where does it "miss"?...and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't try to convince the AIA to go to such a system in year 1, but if we could get historical data, design a system, and then test it out next year, that could be a way forward. Me and my team could do the work for free.

Here is my question: Is this something coaches would get behind? Woo, at the high school level, do I need to talk to? Who needs to be on board and champion this politically? Obviously Dean Visser is key but what/who would it take to open up the conversation?

I would love to hear what people think.

Brett
This is exactly what they do for NCAAs by the way