AIA Question

deasey

Is there an AIA rule that does not allow wrestling in tournament outside the school during the school season?

Example could my son go to Flo Tulsa Nationals in January even though his high school is not going?

A

aaron1126

You should get this verified but I believe that yes there is a rule saying it would be considered 1 of the allowed 4 tournaments. But the whole school would be dinged with a tournament for that.

So even if he only wrestled and no one else did, the school could only be allowed to wrestle at 3 more tournaments.

bayoubadger

I would get clarification from AIA but this is what the rule states:

31.6.1 No school shall schedule more than 12 varsity meets, including four invitationals.

read in conjunction with this rule:

31.6.3 No wrestler shall participate in more than 12 wrestling meets per season, excluding qualifying and post-season tournaments.

I would say that as long as the school has not "scheduled" it and your son will not be wrestling in 12 meets/tournaments it would be ok. If they have 12 on the schedule he may have to sit out of one.

SPRAWL

I believe 31.6.1 & 31.6.3 apply to AIA member school events. Just my opinion.

NONSCHOOL PARTICIPATION
A
student who is a member of a school team shall not practice or compete w
ith any other group, club,
organization, association, etc., in that sport during the interscholastic season of competition. This rule
applies to
the following
team sports
:
football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track relay
and swimm
ing relay teams. For purposes of this rule, the interscholastic season of competition shall
begin with the first regularly scheduled game and conclude with that particular team's final game. Any
student violating the above rule shall forfeit his/her elig
ibility for a minimum of the balance of the season
for that sport or up to a maximum of one calendar year.
INDIVIDUAL COMPETITION:
A student competing as an individual and in his/her name shall not be coached by, transported by,
financed by, or chaperoned by the school or school personnel. He/She shall not be identified as a
representative of the school. He/She s
hall not use any school equipment when competing.

That's my take on the ruling, but of course it would be best to get a ruling from the AIA.

bayoubadger

SPRAWL said:

NONSCHOOL PARTICIPATION
A
organization, association, etc., in that sport during the interscholastic season of competition. This rule
applies to
the following
team sports
:
and swimm
ing relay teams. For purposes of this rule, the interscholastic season of competition shall
begin with the first regularly scheduled game and conclude with that particular team's final game. Any
INDIVIDUAL COMPETITION:
A student competing as an individual and in his/her name shall not be coached by, transported by,
financed by, or chaperoned by the school or school personnel. He/She shall not be identified as a

That's my take on the ruling, but of course it would be best to get a ruling from the AIA.

The first rule only applies to football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track relay
and swimming relay teams. The second rule would not prevent an individual wrestler from competing on his own with his own equipment on his own dime with no coaching from the school.

SPRAWL

Exactly!! So based on those by-laws, it appears to me that any non-school event that a wrestler wanted to participate in would not violate any AIA rules as long as they abide by ruling 14.5.1.

By laws 31.6.1 and 31.6.3 apply to interscholastic events only.

Just wanted to clarify my point Bayou, I wasn't sure if we were in agreement.

I don't want to sound like an authority on this matter, so if anyone is unsure or considering participating in a non-school event like (Grand Canyon Nationals), please contact an AIA representative for the final say!!

acestallion

SPRAWL said:

NONSCHOOL PARTICIPATION
A
applies to
the following
team sports
:
and swimm
INDIVIDUAL COMPETITION:

So I have a quick question? By rule 14.4.1 it only mentions sports that do not include wrestling. So does that mean that wrestlers can practice with other club teams in season then? Now a couple things it only says teams sports there, and maybe somewhere else in the rules it mentions it for individual sports. Again I just want to make sure I understand the rules here. I've always believed that wrestlers can't wrestle for any club non-school teams in season. Again just want to make sure on this rule here.

bayoubadger

Let me preface this by saying that the only opinion that matters is that of the AIA (or a court if you end up needing to sue them over it). There is nothing I could find in the rules that prevents a wrestler from practicing with a club team. There may be an issue with the number of competitions if they compete in outside tournaments. The rule, as you correctly read, only applies to those team sports.

SPRAWL

bayoubadger said:
Let me preface this by saying that the only opinion that matters is that of the AIA (or a court if you end up needing to sue them over it). There is nothing I could find in the rules that prevents a wrestler from practicing with a club team. There may be an issue with the number of competitions if they compete in outside tournaments. The rule, as you correctly read, only applies to those team sports.

31.6.1 No "school" shall schedule more than 12 varsity meets, including four invitationals.

The ruling states no "school" shall schedules more than 12 meets or 4 tournaments. The wrestler would not be representing any school. They would most likely need to enter the tournament under their club name or un-
attached, per 14.5.1

bayoubadger

31.6.3 No wrestler shall participate in more than 12 wrestling meets per season, excluding qualifying and post-season tournaments

The AIA could say that if you wrestled in on outside tournament and your school schedules and wrestles 12 meets in a season and you wrestle in all the school scheduled meets that you have exceeded the number of allowable competitions and are not eligible.

SPRAWL

bayoubadger said:
31.6.3 No wrestler shall participate in more than 12 wrestling meets per season, excluding qualifying and post-season tournaments

The AIA could say that if you wrestled in on outside tournament and your school schedules and wrestles 12 meets in a season and you wrestle in all the school scheduled meets that you have exceeded the number of allowable competitions and are not eligible.
The AIA Constitution and Bylaws shall govern contests
in sports and activities sanctioned by the AIA

az_wrestler

Given the answers, Then it is ok for a wrestler to participate in an RMN event like the Grand Canyon Nationals? looking at the wrestler list there are 15 & under freshman entered and sophomores in the 18 & under. The AIA allows this? The season has officially started correct?

SPRAWL

az_wrestler said:
Given the answers, Then it is ok for a wrestler to participate in an RMN event like the Grand Canyon Nationals? looking at the wrestler list there are 15 & under freshman entered and sophomores in the 18 & under. The AIA allows this? The season has officially started correct?

The AIA by laws can be found on AIAONLINE.ORG . IMO rulings 14.1.1, 14.4.1 & 14.5.1 defines competing in non scholastic non AIA sanctioned events. Wrestlers in RMN Tournaments can double bracket. They can Wrestles up a Division or weight class. Again, this is my opinion based on what I have read in the by laws.