Best HS Wrestler in AZ 2019??

blackbaby

Andrews did not win four middle school state titles...maybe Tempe state, but not Tucson.
Where do you get your information from, he won both of them as a 7th and 8th grader, undefeated both years. Only loses were as a 6th grader against two 8th graders.

blackbaby

Where do you get your information from, he won both of them as a 7th and 8th grader, undefeated both years. Only loses were as a 6th grader against two 8th graders.
After checking the records Dawon as a 6th grader lost to Marco Groves 3 time high school state champion and Brandon Konecny, 3 time high school state champion .

acestallion

Ah I'll just post my Top 10 in no particular order:

Jake Borneman
Bobby Tellez
Dawon Andrews
Anthony Echemendia
Jeremiah Hollen
Marcus Castillo
Tarik Sutkovic
Keller Rock
Alfonso Martinez
Diego Chavez

Again it's my opinion and just a list I threw together. I'm not going to argue who's #1. IMO 3 most memorable, would probably be Bobby Tellez, because of how he finished and who he beat this year; same goes for Anthony Echemendia. Also Marcus Castillo just dominated this year.

Still don't have a horse on who's #1, and apologies to anyone not on the list. Again just my opinion, list should probably be Top 25 or something; but don't feel like putting that together.

Also, hopefully this year's National Qualifier has all the top guys come out for it like last year.

Last edited:

Matwizard

I would say my top 5 would be
Alfonso Martinez
Nathaniel Deasey
Zack Espalin
Bobby Tellez
Hollen

Deasey won Fargo, Espalin placed 4th at Fargo and I believe they both placed at Reno TOC, Temecula....these guys are up there placing at some of these big tournaments. Pretty sure they were untouchable in AZ.

I am going to disagree with Diego Chavez as the 160. Scott Kellenberger at Horizon and Sheldon Cole from Boulder Creek both dominated this year.

I am going to disagree with Diego Chavez as the 160. Scott Kellenberger at Horizon and Sheldon Cole from Boulder Creek both dominated this year.

What's the logic in that?

Chavez hasn't lost a wrestler from AZ since he began his high school career and he has quality national credentials with an All-American finish at USAW Folkstyle Nationals and won NHSCA Virginia Beach Nationals, both of which are legitimate, recognized events.

Cole only lost once to an AZ wrestler since August to a wrestler he beat multiple times during season (Cameau from Desert Vista), but he happened to lose the "big one" since it was the State Finals...he doesn't have the national credentials Chavez does.

Kellenberger lost to Keller Rock (won once against Rock) and Stonebraker 2x since August...he too doesn't have the national credentials Chavez does.

Even without considering in-state losses, Chavez' national performances are solid and I'd score it objectively: 1) Diego Chavez 2) Sheldon Cole 3) Scott Kellenberger although you could argue Cole/Kellenberger for 2nd.

I will say that they are all fortunate Aaron Gandara transferred to Poway...he'd probably have gone 160 in-state and he'd have been the clear choice at 160 imo

Last edited:

SONSx5

Even without considering in-state losses, Chavez' national performances are solid and I'd score it objectively: 1) Diego Chavez 2) Sheldon Cole 3) Scott Kellenberger although you could argue Cole/Kellenberger for 2nd.
Cole is confirmed for tomorrow. Don’t see the others have.

bayoubadger

I agree that Diego Chavez had a phenomenal year. That being said, I think that Kellenberger and Cole would probably beat him. Yes Chavez has National Accolades but they are against kids his own age. There is a big strength difference when you are a 160 pound freshman wrestling 18yo seniors. The competition that Chavez faced was substantially weaker that of Kellenberger and Cole. For this reason I would not put any of them in the discussion for best wrestler in AZ in 2019.

I agree that Diego Chavez had a phenomenal year. That being said, I think that Kellenberger and Cole would probably beat him. Yes Chavez has National Accolades but they are against kids his own age. There is a big strength difference when you are a 160 pound freshman wrestling 18yo seniors. The competition that Chavez faced was substantially weaker that of Kellenberger and Cole. For this reason I would not put any of them in the discussion for best wrestler in AZ in 2019.

That's fair...NHSCA Championship was Junior High level and USAW All-American finish was Cadets. Definitely agree none of the 3 belong in the "Best HS wrestler in AZ" convo

My Tier 1 for "Best HS wrestler in AZ" are the following (in no particular order):

Alfonso Martinez
Nate Deasey
Jeremiah Hollen
Zack Espalin
Marcus Castillo

With the following being in the conversation, primarily due to national credentials (other than Tellez and Borneman):

Anthony Echemendia (came in late on the scene; could argue he is in Tier 1 conversation)
Dawon Andrews (lost to Echemendia)
Tarik Sutkovic (lost to B. Johnson)
Keller Rock (lost to Bobby White & Scott Kellenberger)
Bobby Tellez (lost to Ybarra)
Jesse Ybarra (lost to Tellez)
Jake Borneman (no quality wins)
Denen Fernandez (lost to Echemendia)

Darkhorse: Andres Avelar (no in-state losses, beat D3 champ Lujan, D2 champ J. Rivera, Gilbert Rodriguez from San Manuel)

Last edited:

bayoubadger

That's fair...NHSCA Championship was Junior High level and USAW All-American finish was Cadets. Definitely agree none of the 3 belong in the "Best HS wrestler in AZ" convo

My Tier 1 for "Best HS wrestler in AZ" are the following (in no particular order):

Alfonso Martinez
Nate Deasey
Jeremiah Hollen
Zack Espalin
Marcus Castillo

With the following being in the conversation:

Anthony Echemendia (came in late on the scene; could argue he is in Tier 1 conversation)
Dawon Andrews (lost to Echemendia)
Tarik Sutkovic (lost to B. Johnson)
Keller Rock (lost to Bobby White & Scott Kellenberger)
Bobby Tellez (lost to Ybarra)
Jesse Ybarra (lost to Tellez)
Diego Guerrero (lost to Tellez)
Jake Borneman (no quality wins)
Denen Fernandez (lost to Echemendia)
Darkhorse: Andres Avelar (no in-state loses) beat D3 champ Lujan, D2 champ J. Rivera, Gilbert Rodriguez from San Manuel)
I don't like to hate on the big guys, but the quality of the competition drops precipitously once you hit 195. While Hollen and Deasey were both dominant in their weight classes, I don't think they could be considered in the class, wrestling wise, as Martinez and Castillo.

I don't like to hate on the big guys, but the quality of the competition drops precipitously once you hit 195. While Hollen and Deasey were both dominant in their weight classes, I don't think they could be considered in the class, wrestling wise, as Martinez and Castillo.

I’d agree with you but I’m biased : ) ...hard with Deasey tho: Fargo Cadet Champ, USAW Folkstyle Nationals Cadet Finalist, and Reno TOC placer

bayoubadger

I’d agree with you but I’m biased : ) ...hard with Deasey tho: Fargo Cadet Champ, USAW Folkstyle Nationals Cadet Finalist, and Reno TOC placer
My kid was Hollen’s only loss the last 2 years so I have spent a lot of time watching the big guys. There are 4 or 5 at 195, 220 and HWT every year that are decent the rest are pretty bad. Not a lot of in between. So if your criteria is who had the best season, you could put big AZ guys in there. If it is who is the best wrestler in AZ, big guys don’t have to “wrestle” as much so it’s hard to put them in there. At least 75% of my kids matches senior year at 195 we over in less than a minute. Does that make him one of the best wrestlers in AZ last year? No, it just meant he wrestled a lot of bad opponents.