Covid Year Changes

SUSU

Let’s use this thread to post the changes that are happening in the AIA for this Covid season. From the rumors I’ve heard here’s what I got. Nothing confirmed. This is very frustrating considering season starts in two weeks.

- only 1 day tournaments
-16/24 team cap at tournament- I’ve heard rumors for both 16 and 24.
- 8 weigh ins ( 5 multi/ 5 tourney) almost 100% sure this is true

Maybe we can get more answers through this AZ wrestling community.

Allazallstars

I heard 5 multis and 3 tournaments

Also heard we might not even get to start on time (Nov 9th) like Basketball and Soccer.

My concern is those school districts that opted to delay their season. Since Phoenix Union and Tolleson Union are having that combined football season, their season won't end until December, and the majority of my wrestlers are playing football.

SUSU

That is also my concern with football season running so late. That is the first I have heard of the season being pushed back. That would be great for football wrestlers. I am hoping that we hear something sooner than later.

JB Doubles

I'm hearing that wrestling season my get push back from November until a January start, following suit like other neighboring states. I'll know more this week.

Coachdoerr

Let’s use this thread to post the changes that are happening in the AIA for this Covid season. From the rumors I’ve heard here’s what I got. Nothing confirmed. This is very frustrating considering season starts in two weeks.

- only 1 day tournaments
-16/24 team cap at tournament- I’ve heard rumors for both 16 and 24.
- 8 weigh ins ( 5 multi/ 5 tourney) almost 100% sure this is true

Maybe we can get more answers through this AZ wrestling community.
The 8 weigh-ins suck transfer kids pretty much get sh** on. This entire thing sucks. There have been tournaments all over the country all summer long with no issues 2 and 3 day tournaments I wish someone with AIA pull could give them info and let them know of zero issues with any of the tournaments

Levi

*MATCH OPPORTUNITIES:
-No invitationals
-Dual Meets only
o Exception: If your program does not have a full team, a small multiple can be scheduled. However wrestlers are only permitted to wrestle once per day.
-No out of state travel.

*EXCEPTION:
-Tournament exception: 2-day varsity tournaments and an increase to 24 teams during nonschool hours and venue allows for social distancing. (i.e. Christmas break, long weekends, or when school is out of sessions.)
-Border schools may petition to compete in tournaments near border where they can show this reduces travel.
-In between multiples the mats must be cleaned; during tournaments mats must be cleaned during allowable breaks.

*SEASON OF SPORT:
-11/9/2020-2/20/2021
-Regular season ends January 30, 2021 for boys with the sectional tournament taking place on February 13, 2021.
-Regular season ends January 30, 2021 for girls with the sectional tournament taking place on February 6, 2021.

Coachdoerr

*MATCH OPPORTUNITIES:
-No invitationals
-Dual Meets only
o Exception: If your program does not have a full team, a small multiple can be scheduled. However wrestlers are only permitted to wrestle once per day.
-No out of state travel.

*EXCEPTION:
-Tournament exception: 2-day varsity tournaments and an increase to 24 teams during nonschool hours and venue allows for social distancing. (i.e. Christmas break, long weekends, or when school is out of sessions.)
-Border schools may petition to compete in tournaments near border where they can show this reduces travel.
-In between multiples the mats must be cleaned; during tournaments mats must be cleaned during allowable breaks.

*SEASON OF SPORT:
-11/9/2020-2/20/2021
-Regular season ends January 30, 2021 for boys with the sectional tournament taking place on February 13, 2021.
-Regular season ends January 30, 2021 for girls with the sectional tournament taking place on February 6, 2021.
Seeing that the season is all screwed up do transfer kids still have to sit out the same amount of weigh-ins. They should cancel the transfer rule this season

wrestledoc

i have looked at the AIA Rules for 2020-2021. Pay attention to page 38-39. There is no limitation to doing wrestling tournaments as individuals, or unattached, during the HS season. i think that some organizations will notice this and have tournaments which will just be unsanctioned by the AIA and the wrestlers just wont wear high school based uniforms/singlets. Let's hope that these companies seize this opportunity and host tournaments during a time where they normally sit back and let the schools host them.

NEC1972

i have looked at the AIA Rules for 2020-2021. Pay attention to page 38-39. There is no limitation to doing wrestling tournaments as individuals, or unattached, during the HS season. i think that some organizations will notice this and have tournaments which will just be unsanctioned by the AIA and the wrestlers just wont wear high school based uniforms/singlets. Let's hope that these companies seize this opportunity and host tournaments during a time where they normally sit back and let the schools host them.

I've been told that the high school coaches also cannot coach the wrestlers, so it would have to be someone not currently on staff, i.e. a club coach or parent.

wrestledoc

I've been told that the high school coaches also cannot coach the wrestlers, so it would have to be someone not currently on staff, i.e. a club coach or parent.

Maybe the high school coach can be an “advisor” or “consultant” while someone else not affiliated with the HS can be the official listed coach for the unaffiliated tournament

14.5.1 A student competing as an individual and in his/her name shall not be coached by, transported by, financed by, or chaperoned by the school or school personnel. He/She shall not be identified as a representative of the school. He/She shall not use any school equipment when competing.
14.5.2 Any swimmer or runner, who competes outside of their school team during the season of sport, must compete UNATTACHED from the school.

Last edited: