D2 2019-2020 Individual Rankings

JB Doubles

Question? Why is 3 Sioanex Martinez of Barry Goldwater rank in 170 lbs class when he wrestled State at 182 lbs Class last year - But the better question is why is he even ranked at all, he went 0-2 at STATE. Regardless if he is competing at 170 lbs now, it doesn't warrant a ranking IMO :)

upload_2019-12-5_15-57-37.png

JB Doubles

Coach P Thanks for doing the dirty work of keeping this current, I hope this FYI helps but James Maheras is at 120's

upload_2019-12-5_16-47-32.png

jfingd

Staff member
Question? Why is 3 Sioanex Martinez of Barry Goldwater rank in 170 lbs class when he wrestled State at 182 lbs Class last year - But the better question is why is he even ranked at all, he went 0-2 at STATE. Regardless if he is competing at 170 lbs now, it doesn't warrant a ranking IMO :)

View attachment 1027

I've managed rankings on this site in the past, it's a tough job to cover every weight class. Sometimes you have to reach a little to fill up the top six... Sometimes I've had to go top ten, in the super deep weight classes.

This type of feedback is very helpful though. Keep it coming!!

Coach P

View attachment 1027
In AZ, qualifying for state (Regional placer) the previous year usually gets you a ranking the following year depending on graduations and weight changes. Now if you think others should be ranked higher, please suggest. I think having rankings up to six in AZ is very difficult to complete this early in the season, so removing wrestlers based on last years performance is counterproductive and leads to less discussion. I made a small change at 170 since Valle seems to be a solid third. 4 thur 6 are pretty even (in most weight classes) until we get more results.

Thanks for the input.

JB Doubles

In AZ, qualifying for state (Regional placer) the previous year usually gets you a ranking the following year depending on graduations and weight changes. Now if you think others should be ranked higher, please suggest. I think having rankings up to six in AZ is very difficult to complete this early in the season, so removing wrestlers based on last years performance is counterproductive and leads to less discussion. I made a small change at 170 since Valle seems to be a solid third. 4 thur 6 are pretty even (in most weight classes) until we get more results.

Thanks for the input.

First off - THANK YOU for wanting to deal with managing these ranking ( I made Pre-Season D1 Ranking, but said I would not manage them for this reason :) )

Now back to your statement "if you think others should be ranked higher" - don't know; but I thought I did by stating the obvious in my original statement with supporting data. Ranking someone for the sake of filling 1-6 slots shouldn't be the reason - In this scenario I would wait a 2 weeks more after schools have competed in some tournaments and hopefully see some head-to-head match ups.

Nonetheless, Coach P - I appreciate all your efforts in solidifying a legit rank and value tier.

Just heard Gabe Levy will be 170 when he comes back from injury. Hopefully he will be back on the mat soon as he’s a great wrestler and will be in the mix for sure.

Coach P

Hoping f
First off - THANK YOU for wanting to deal with managing these ranking ( I made Pre-Season D1 Ranking, but said I would not manage them for this reason :) )

Now back to your statement "if you think others should be ranked higher" - don't know; but I thought I did by stating the obvious in my original statement with supporting data. Ranking someone for the sake of filling 1-6 slots shouldn't be the reason - In this scenario I would wait a 2 weeks more after schools have competed in some tournaments and hopefully see some head-to-head match ups.

Nonetheless, Coach P - I appreciate all your efforts in solidifying a legit rank and value tier.
If I waited two weeks after first competition....you and I (and a few others) would not be having this conversation correct? I adjust as needed, based on competition and feed back. I for one, probably can't wait for first comp....I think this thread was started months ago...LOL.

Last edited:

JB Doubles

152's 1-3 is Interesting to me; here are the current rankings, and wonder what one thinks of the following:

D2-152

1 Alex Young of Horizon
2 Alex Ruffentine of Williams Field
3 Alejandro Torres of Casteel

4 Brent Ward of Ironwood Ridge
5 Xander Ramirez of Centennial

1 Alex Young of Horizon - completed last year at 145's and went 1-2 lost to Carlo Castagnaro {(2nd in State @145's) also Rank#1 @160's currently} and lost 2nd match to A. Sandavol 5-2 (None Placer at State)

2 Alex Ruffentine of Williams Field - Competed at 152's and went 1-2 lost to DILLON GREENE (3rd in State) and Lost 2nd match to C.Nelson (5th at State)

3 Alejandro Torres of Casteel - Competed at 138's and went 2-2 lost to Alec Delafield (5th in State @138's) and lost 2nd match to #1 Seed Jared LeBaron (3rd in State @138's) in SV 4-2.

Who had the tougher opponents - Opinions please :)

upload_2019-12-8_3-0-19.png

upload_2019-12-8_3-3-31.png

upload_2019-12-8_3-7-59.png

Last edited:

npwc-az

They [the top 3] all come from the same section and will see each other during in-season duals and then at sectionals so it'll get sorted out.

152's 1-3 is Interesting to me; here are the current rankings, and wonder what one thinks of the following:

D2-152

1 Alex Young of Horizon
2 Alex Ruffentine of Williams Field
3 Alejandro Torres of Casteel

4 Brent Ward of Ironwood Ridge
5 Xander Ramirez of Centennial

1 Alex Young of Horizon - completed last year at 145's and went 1-2 lost to Carlo Castagnaro {(2nd in State @145's) also Rank#1 @160's currently} and lost 2nd match to A. Sandavol 5-2 (None Placer at State)

2 Alex Ruffentine of Williams Field - Competed at 152's and went 1-2 lost to DILLON GREENE (3rd in State) and Lost 2nd match to C.Nelson (None Placer at State)

3 Alejandro Torres of Casteel - Competed at 138's and went 1-2 lost to Alec Delafield (5th in State @138's) and lost 2nd match to #1 Seed Jared LeBaron (3rd in State @138's) in SV 4-2.

Who had the tougher opponents - Opinions please :)

View attachment 1030

View attachment 1031

View attachment 1032

Tbone46

Cienega took 8th out of 59 teams this weekend at the El Cajon Invitational. Cole Hickey took 4th at 138, Jason Hill took 5th at 145, Carlo Castagnaro took 2nd at 160 and Ritchie McCormick took 5th at 170.