DI Team Rankings

bayoubadger

1. Sunnyside

2. Cibola

3. Corona Del Sol

I have only ranked 3 because I think there is a going to be a big drop between 3rd and everybody else.

Based upon returning placers and not taking into account Seton Catholic transfers, these are the teams that have a legitimate shot of winning it all. If CDS gets a bulk of those Seton Kids it will bump them over Cibola and make them competitive with SS. I still think SS has the guys to plug in and match up with any team in the state and will be the team to beat.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
i wouldn't count out Mesa Mt. View, still has some returning starters and the B squad from last year ready to fill the holes

1. Sunnyside
2. Cibola
3. Mt. View
4. Corona
5. Desert Vista
6. Chandler
7. Kofa

East Valley

For pre-season rankings I agree with Chokem out’s thinking. I’ll explain the positions with as much fact & rumor as I can. Haha
1- Sunnyside
2- Cibola
3- Mtn. View
4- Corona
5- Chandler
6- Desert Vista
7- Kofa

1- Sunnyside has to be the favorite because they return the most points from State. They have 2 State Champs, one runner-up, a third, a 6th place & their 152 coming back. (& tough freshman coming in) They have been knocking on the door for 3 years. What could make it interesting is Bravo-Young. He is at such a high level. I’ve heard rumors that he could go to an Apple Valley or Blair type program. Who would blame him he’s world level good. That could make a difference. He brings a lot of points & he would be missed in the room. Cejudo did what was best to be a world champion. He might also?

2- Cibola qualified their whole team last year. From State they return one 1st, two 3rd & two 4ths. They have 10 returning state qualifiers. They also have some tough freshman coming in. (All the teams do) Gandara will be one of them. Cibola could do some real damage for the next 2 to 3 years!

3- Mtn View brings back one 2nd & one 5th from state & 4 state qualifiers. A few things make them interesting. They will have a new coach Corey Anderson. He should adjust quickly he knows AZ wrestling. He opened a new HS in NM. In 7 years he won 3 titles, 1 runner up & two 4th place finishes. Mtn View has great depth. They bring back an undefeated JV squad that placed 4th at Blackford without 2 of their best wrestlers. (Callison took them to the Clash) The challenge is they are unproven. To me that's why Sunnyside & Cibola have to be the early favorites. The questions will be there until they beat some quality opponents.

4- Corona quietly brings back 7 state qualifiers, one 3rd, two 5th & one 6th from state. For Seton if it’s true that Hovis & Rico are going elsewhere. That leaves Nickel, Garcia, Milnes-Bowers, Dolce & Konecny. (If they all transfer?) At D2 state 5 of them placed. At Flowing Wells 3 of those placed. If you add five D2 State placers (Lead by Konecny & Dolce) to 4 D1 state placers. That gets really interesting!! I have no idea how many transferred over. If Corona pulls that together they could be the dark horse?

5- Chandler brings back 4 state qualifiers, one 3rd, one 5th & one 6th from state. If Jason Holmes steps on the mat that is big. The word is the Kelly’s are also coming to Chandler. That would be a boost for a number of years.

6- Desert Vista has 6 returning state qualifiers, one Champ & one 6th place. I know they have some good freshman coming in.

7- Kofa is interesting. They are working really hard to improve! They have 7 returning D2 state qualifiers, 3 placers & 2 that placed at Flowing Wells

Coach P

I will call it now in June....Sunnyside will run away with Peoria (will be interesting to see what out of State schools show up, Servite and Cimarron always bring top talent), FW, and State. Mesa MVT, was blessed with some SERIOUS transfers the last 3 years (completely legal, but still transfers). Cibola gets an edge every year due to them being in the weakest division only due to location (not their fault). Sad to see IR drop divisions, but without Berrier and Vasquez Coaching I don't see them contending right off the bat (lost too many Seniors). However, that does clear the way for SS again (Chandler has been hit and miss lately, but they do have a few studs). I would also put Tuscon HS in the mix. Deberry is at it again. Watch out for them. I would put Tucson HS in the top 6 or 7. If the Seton kids show up at Corona, I would put them a solid 3rd behind Cibola.

As of right now, SS has a potential 4 state champs in their line up. Loaiza, Bravo, Salazar, and Hernandez.

East Valley

I understand you drinking the Sunnyside punch. They look good coming into this year.

Now your argument about Cibola & Mtn View? Cibola may have a weak division but they had a lot of young kids place at state. A year after winning back to back D2 titles when they were supposed to be down. Mtn View for transfers had the Taylors & Wokasch. That's it. (They are studs but they only wrestled together for one year) The only good transfers they have had for 20 years. Taylors out of state the other in state. What you think all the Sunnyside kids are home grown? They get 1-3 transfers a year. Hernandez, Mordecai, Tellez & Luguna to name a few. Hernandez made a big impact last year. I have great respect for Sunnyside & their tradition! I'm not saying they broke any rules. (Completely legal) I'm saying if you are going to use an arguement against a team winning look at all of them. Especially the one you are crowning to be king. What you think Jerod Booth, Paden & Steven Mason, Blake & Seth Monty, Ryan Gallo, Phoenix Hollin, Rylan Evans, Brock Doolen & the other 12 kids that placed during those years got lucky? Whoever wins the team title has the best team. IR had it last year. If Sunnyside wins this year it's because they have the best team! Transfers help but you better have a solid foundation in place to win.

I do however agree with you about Tucson getting better. They are quiety building a solid program. They placed 14th I believe at State. They are in the mix.

Coach P

Sunnyside punch....lol.

Transfers like the 3 Taylor brothers (Safford kids to Utah to MMV) definitely make a difference. All serious studs, not to mention Wokasch. Those 4 guys are top in AZ and are on par with National level comp. But again, not taking anything away from the other guys. They earned the title, much respect.

As for SS, Tellez never really made the line up his Jr or Sr year. Hernandez is a Sunnyside kid, but got accepted into a top school in Salpointe, just didnt work out for him so he came back home. Laguna, as far as I can remember, is/was a Sunnyside kid. Well, more of a Coach Bravo kid, but grew up and went to mostly SS schools in Elem/MS. Then followed all the Cyclones kids under Vega/Bravo at the time. Mordecai is the only one but we know how that turned out.

Either way, didn't mean to really focus on the transfers or say that they won State because of it. However, I would argue that having such high quality transfers in the room made all the other guys that much better. Laguna was the only guy at SS to transfer in with such high expectations. Mordecai was there for a few months, but turned out to be a bad decision for SS.

Now, the homegrown comment......um, yes. To bad some SS homegrown kids go elsewhere but yes, that room breeds kids from the kindergarten level.

Allazallstars

Year in year out Sunnyside is always going to be in the talks for the top spot. Because of the tradition they have built there.
If Corona gets the Seton kids I don't see anyone beating them at the state tournament. Unless they implode. Which has occurred before.
So what other teams do we think round out a top 10.
Red Mountain. Mesa. Dobson. Boulder Creek. Mountain Ridge. OConnor. Basha. Chavez. ?????

East Valley

Coach P, strong arguments. I see where you coming from. Ok maybe punch wasn't the right word. lol.

If I'm reading what Allazallstars is saying correctly. You are picking SS unless Corona gets those transfers then you feel Corona is the favorite. Right? I can see an argument for both sides of this. (It's always good to see all sides) Myself I still feel SS is the favorite either way. Mainly because they have jelled together (In battle) & seem to have the point scoring pieces in place. As I mentioned before just because you get transfers they have to fit in (Jell) with the right supporting cast.

Let me say I do think on paper (If Corona gets those transfers) that it is possible if a few things happen. The weight classes & personalities have to fit right! (The key) They would all have to be focused on a common, unselfish goal. (Like IR did last year) Chemistry is harder to build than people think. SS has had that for years. IR & Mtn View had it the last 3 years. I would like their chances better if the Farina boys were there but who knows? They do have a great coach. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Allazallstars

Yes. If corona gets all those transfers and they jell. I think they will be the favorites.
If not then Sunnyside is the favorite.
Either way with the new sections which are more balanced and even. And all the cross sectional wrestling from the scheduling. It should be a very fun and interesting year.

homerdindon

Lopez getting the football job at Sunnyside is going to help them out a lot. I imagine he will "encourage" all of his players to wrestle, and if they can get points in the higher weights at the state tourney to go with their points from their studs down below, they'll be tough to beat in years to come.

TUMBLEWEED

Which Lopez got the SS football coach position?

I also heard Mordecai is going back to SS this year, and will be at either 170 or 82.

bayoubadger

TUMBLEWEED said:
Which Lopez got the SS football coach position?

I also heard Mordecai is going back to SS this year, and will be at either 170 or 82.

I have it from a pretty solid source that Mordecai is moving to Colorado, so he will not be at SS.

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
Looking at who Sunnyside is bringing back and the possibility of Corona getting the Seton Studs, i still think Sunnyside will have a slight edge, i agree with East Valley, teamwork and cohesiveness is what makes a Championship team and not to mention TRADITION. I still think the big boys 170 and above is what puts a team over the top. Whatever team, Sunnyside, Corona, Cibola or Mt.VIEW that has the big men, they will win it all. It will be interesting to see where the Seton Studs go. STAY TUNED!!

Coach P

Yes! Please....I tried last night, but man that is some work. Much respect to the ones who do it and then get yelled at for not including everyone...LOL.