Division 3 Rankings

CVCougar

D3 seems to be getting left out of the ranking talk. I will post this here for your responses and comments. I know there may be some movement, I based these on the previous thread and on the weights listed or if I saw a result that showed them lighter. I am sure that there are some incoming freshman studs at the lighter weights that I am missing. There are a few studs who I didn't see listed this year (Tkach-TB, Dylan Williams-Emp (maybe Luke), Tuni-Page, Segundo-Buckeye, Santa Maria-Amphi, Nilsen-Amercan Leadership, Stevenson-TB, Romero-Rio Rico, Johnson-Payson, Sutkovic-TB)
Billups-Coconino
Fellows-Show Low
Lopez-Walden Grove
Martin-Yuma
Castro-Peoria
Casas-Sahuarita

Perkins-Snowflake
Perez-Sunrise Mtn
Whitewater-Page
Campista-Pueblo
Sepulveda-Peoria
Howard-Sahuarita

Ramirez-Sunrise Mtn
Schwiegart-Show Low
Busch-Casa Grande
Gonzalez-Buckeye
Payne-Chino Valley
Vega-Peoria

Guerrero-Walden Grove
Ruiz-Yuma
Lujan-Pueblo
Bateman-Show Low

Finch-Safford
Cordero-Peoria
Ramos-Walden Grove
Holkom-Florence

Silva-Walden Grove
Wilhelm-Show Low
Vargas-Apache Junction
Carabeo-Sahuarita

Miller-Mingus
McKissick-CDO
Kilgore-Walden Grove
Penrod-Page

Andrews-Safford
Svboda-Mingus
Chavez-Kingman
Cruz-Youngker

Rock-Chino Valley
Alex Torres-Marcos de Niza
Zabala-Peoria
Acuna-Sahuarita

Allen-Show Low
Andrew Torres-Marcos de Niza
Ramirez-Sunrise Mtn
Desoto-CDO

Henderson-Blue Ridge
Finch-Safford
Mata-Peoria
Susel-Florence

Keime-Show Low
Chagolla-Peoria
Sanford-Safford
McCarty-Cactus

Mickelson-Thunderbird
Jacobs-Combs
Corrales-Salpointe Catholic
Ashton-Lee Williams

HWT
Clark-Moon Valley
Vega-Yuma
Arnold-Florence
Manassra-Marcos de Niza

Last edited:

chingon76

Staff member
manassra is 220... training for his trip to fargo made him lose some weight... he also had a great match with jacobs last night... :)

wm201617

Nice job with rankings.
Chris Johnson Payson wrestled last night. ...I am not sure where he will end up. My opinion would be rank him 2nd at 170 ( he wrestled 182 last night) for now.

You had better move Mickelson from 220 and make the Combs kid number 1 or his dad will get all over you. (See crazy thread in D3 returners) I am just kidding, i would wait a couple weeks to see what Mckelson does, but he would be a light 220 albeit still in my opinion the favorite to win it.

Also per post in D2 rankings Waldon Grove grabbed a highly ranked stud from Desert Vista I think.....that will prob go 145 I bet.

I am sure Safford has some surprises as well for great wrestlers yet to be named. Mark my words Showlow will have 3 or 4 more wrestlers enter rankings in the upcoming weeks.

For team rankings right now I like:
SHOWLOW with Waldon Grove and Safford nipping at their heels.

All 3 of those teams meet next week at Marana Mt View. Should be good

GDCOACH6

Thomas ranked 5th in D2 132 is at Greenway this season (D3) and will be wrestling 138. Currently 14-1 on the season.

wm201617

Marana Mnt View will even be better. In addition to the 3 teams mentioned Show low, Walden grove and Safford, I am sure that Thunderbird will have a say in quite a few weightclasses. So with all 4 teams meeting next week we will see some great matches and a Mickelson/Keime match ought to be a great one too.

wm201617

Thats a great point AZLOVE....They have been in hunt past couple years for championship and are loaded again this year.
Especially in a duel format when I look at matchups Yuma will be tough.
It pains me to say this but right now at this point in season Showlow is a better double elim bracket tournament team than a dual format team. ( I will get crap from SL folks for saying that but its true)
Still very good but because they arent all at weight yet and prob wont be until after the new year plus some inexperience in a couple spots I could see a team with a full lineup that also has people in the right spots really giving them a tough time. But that being said still one of top teams.
All in all I agree that Yuma will be in the mix at every tourney they are in and I apologize for leaving them out.

Seth1983

As anyone seen the wrestlers from cactus they are looking good... 5 kids place top 3 in the big red tournament at Auga fria.. also mcarty is at 182 not 195 he is 21-1 with 2nd place finish and a first place finish. Simms the cactus Hwt has a 3rd place finish and a 2nd place finish

wm201617

As anyone seen the wrestlers from cactus they are looking good... 5 kids place top 3 in the big red tournament at Auga fria.. also mcarty is at 182 not 195 he is 21-1 with 2nd place finish and a first place finish. Simms the cactus Hwt has a 3rd place finish and a 2nd place finish
Yah, I just looked at MCarty in Track and if I was ranking I would probably rank him 3 or 4, its early still. Mata and Finch both have some early losses though. Plus I think Finch will head down to 170s anyway. At some point I think Safford at those upper weights does a cut enabling Bailey Sanford to enter the line up. I say that not knowing anything about whats going on there weightwise or talent wise. Safford has a kid named WHITE looks really good and should be ranked at 160.
Anyway, point taken about Cactus, after this weekend I am sure some new rankings will be made or updated.

wm201617

A couple thoughts from Marana Mt View Duals and rank changes....
Per my post earlier for 160s White is good....beat Rock in a good match....since he lost to MDN I gotta think it goes Alex Torres then White then Rock.

Marsh from Show Low at 152 should be ranked as well....maybe 3 or 4 but agree until and unless he sees the others must settle for 5th... But mark my words he will do better than that at State.

Allen from SL also took out Bashas Carey almost teching him before pinning him.
Finch from Safford looks really solid at 182 but I still think he drops to 172.
So 172 is Allen by a mile then Johnson from Payson then the others.
Henderson easily took out Sunnyside kid to win Veterans I heard and so 182 in my opinion is a spot you go if you want to shoot for runnerup. After him since Finch is there I think you go Sanchez yuma ( beat Finch earlier this year I think) then Finch.

At 195 move Mickelson to 1 and Keime to 2. Keime up 4 to 1and seemed in control but got caught and pinned. Mickelson looked good at 195. Probably a preview of State finals match.
Chagolla and others behind them.

Witt didnt change my mind about 220s or Heavy.

Teams for state
I cant make up my mind....its hard to argue that Safford or Waldon or Show Low or Yuma all couldnt win State.

Safford won this tourney as a team I think and beat Show Low and Waldon on the way but Waldon didnt wrestle a lot of their wrestlers and Showlow also missing a couple. That being said, Safford is crazy good. Waldon has legitimate shot at 4 champions so how can you rule them out?
Hopefully others will chime in here....let me know where I am wrong. I am sure I am.leaving out some folks.

SPRAWL

D. Lujan from Pueblo and Ruiz from Yuma are @120 and should be #1 & #2, Bugarin from Yuma should go to #1 @ 132 followed by Ramos of W.G. and Cordero of Peoria. Finch from Safford is @ 138 and should be below Silva from Walden Grove although he may drop. McKissick from CDO and Miller should be #1 & #2 @ 145 and add Wayman from Lee Williams @ 4th.
Chavez from Kingman is wrestling 145, Marsh from Show Low should be ranked @ 152 probably 4th behind Cruz.

I agree with wm201617 Torres from MDN should be #1 @ 160 followed by White from Safford and Rock from Chino, since White
defeated Rock in a close match. There are not alot of results available from this weekend yet and things could change. I'll add to this post later with my .02 on the upper weights a little later.

Johnson from Payson should be ranked #3 @170 followed by Taunima from Combs. Ramirez from Sunrise is @ 160. McCarty from Cactus #2 behind Henderson @182, then Sanchez from Yuma and Finch from Safford. Mickelson from TBird to #1 @ 195 since he defeated Keime from Show Low followed by Chagolla from Peoria and Ibanez from Pueblo.

Jacobs from Combs #1 @220, Powe from Estella Foothills @ #2 who is also undefeated and somewhat overlooked, followed by Umphries from Safford and Coronado from Rio Rico. 285 looks good, would put Delgado from Buckeye @ 4th, since Manassra is @ 220.

Just my opinion on rankings, if I have overlooked anyone or am incorrect anywhere please comment.

Last edited:
Marcos de Niza will be in the hunt this year for a team title. They have nearly a full lineup, and just took 3rd at the moon valley invitational, ahead of D1 stud Desert Vista and D2 stud Queen Creek, and nearly 300 points ahead of thunderbird (447 MDN, 150 TB). They had 4 champions in, Alex Torres (160) dec over Queen Creek state runner up Manuel Nikolas, Andrew Torres (170) dec over Tempe Stevie Maddox, Trequan Johnson (182) fall over Notre Dame Prep Brock Locnikar, and Hamza Mannassra (220) dec over Queen Creek Jonathan Matanuzak (4th @State).

Alex Torres- MDN
Robert White- Safford
Keller Rock-Chino Valley

Jackson Allen-Showlow
Andrew Torres-MDN
Chris Johnson- Payson

Adam Henderson-Blue Ridge
Hayden Finch-Safford
Jacob Sanchez-Yuma
Nolan Susel- Florence
Trequan Johnson- MDN

Eric Mickelson-Thunderbird
Keime-Show Low
Chagolla-Peoria

Isaiah Jacobs-Combs
Hamza Manassra-MDN
Corrales-Salpointe Catholic

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
Marcos De Niza has a very good team and definitely should be in the running for a team title, the Torres brothers are tough wrestlers and should be taking Home a State Championship In February. Corona has a young team minus Jacob Garcia? Desert Vista has some young talent and should be a team on the rise as soon as Alfonso Martinez is eligible. Queen Creek only had 9 wrestlers at the tournament, they will be fully loaded after Flowing Wells.

SPRAWL

Here are some updated rankings based on available info and my opinion. Lots or weight drops already. Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

1. Lopez-Walden Grove
2. Whitewater-Page
3. Perez-Sunrise Mtn Profile record not complete
4. Fellows-Show Low.
5. Billups-Coconino
6. Avalos CDO
1. Campista-Pueblo
2. Perkins-Snowflake
3. Ramirez-Sunrise Mtn Profile record not complete
4. Long-Show Low
5. Russo-Thunderbird
6. Sepulveda-Peoria
1. Guerrero-Walden Grove
2. Ruiz-Yuma
3. D. Lujan-Pueblo
4. Schwiegart-Show Low
5. Matherson-Buckeye
6. Richardson-Combs
1. B. Lujan-Pueblo
2. Lombillo-Safford
3. Bateman-Show Low
4. Ramos-Walden Grove
5. Rivera-Estrella Fotthills
6. Shuaibe-Jones-MDN
1. Finch-Safford
2. Bugarin-Yuma
3. Nelson-Combs
4. June-Page
5. Cordero-Peoria
6. Baxter-Prescott
1. Silva-Walden Grove
2. Wilhelm-Show Low
3. Miller-Mingus
4. Vargas-Apache Junction
5. Carabeo-Sahuarita
6. Frost-Snowflake
1. Svoboda-Mingus
2. McKissick-CDO
3. Wayman-Lee Williams
4. Kilgore-Walden Grove
5. Thomas-Greenway
6. Lund-Chino Valley
1. Andrews-Safford
2. Elmer-Payson
3. Cruz-Youngker
4. Doerksen-Mingus
5. Coates-Prescott
6. Mortensen-Chino Valley
1. Alex Torres-Marcos de Niza
2. White-Safford
3. Rock-Chino Valley
4. Gamez-Walden Grove
5. Curley III-Chinle
6. Acuna-Sahuarita
1. Allen-Show Low
2. Andrew Torres-Marcos de Niza
3. Susel-Florence
4. Campos-Yuma
5. Mata-Peoria
6. Shaffer-Lee Williams
1. Henderson-Blue Ridge
2. Sanchez-Yuma
3. Finch-Safford
4. McCarty-Cactus
5. Johnson-MDN
6. DeWitt-Show Low
1. Mickelson-Thunderbird
2. Keime-Show Low
3. Chagolla-Peoria
4. Ibanez-Pueblo
5. Nez-Page
6. Edwards-Walden Grove

1. Jacobs-Combs
2. Umphres-Safford
3. Powe-Estrella Foothills
4. Manassra-MDN
5. Garcia-Yuma
6. Wagner-Chinle
HWT
1. Arnold-Florence
2. Vega-Yuma
3. Clark-Moon Valley
4. Nelson-Prescott
5. Delgado-Buckeye
6. Leasau-Dysart

Last edited:

wm201617

Great after Christmas start point rankings! Of course next 2 weeks will show more weight drops and some wrestlers enter or leave rankings.
Based on these rankings you would still come down to 3 teams competing for the team title. The big unknown however is sectionals. Because some of these ranked kids are in same section followed by ability for a lesser ranked to win a section with a better albeit less tough schedule and record its hard to predict. Waldon Grove, Safford , Showlow or for that matter Yuma or Marcos wont and cant win state because of their state champs. ( those are almost automatics and HAVE to happen or there is no chance for the team ) but rather how many of their non champs they push through sectionals.
Because state in reality only seeds 1 through 4 then a section champ with a less tough record but better percentage is guaranteed to be one of those 4. Worse is when 1 section has 3 or 4 kids that are really in the top 5 and other sections are weaker. Because each section is guaranteed a top 4 seed regardless of whether their champ should be in top 4 or not it means there will always be some kids that wrestle too early in the bracket. Seeding doesnt matter for the true #1 but after that it matters hugely.
Hypothetical: Take the 126 weight class rankings as they stand now.
Pueblo kid wins his section followed by the Safford kid. Leaves Waldon Grove kid unseeded at state and randomly drawn in. Depending on that draw that kid could have a much tougher path than if he was truely seeded 5.
Whats worse is lets just say another section has a champ that has a better record but isnt truely better. Now if your the best it dont matter but the others now wrestle too early hitting each other in qtrs vs semis and semis instead of finals.
I am not crying or even suggesting any changes or wrestling for true 2nd. There are semi finals every year where that truely is the match of the 2 best. I only point out that I think the team championship comes down to punching through a bunch of kids, having your studs live up to expectations but having your non ranked or lower ranked kids get a little lucky with some bracket placements and then over perform.

wm201617

Another quick example is 160s....you have the alot if top wrestlers in same sections (and honestly I think any of them in any given match could beat each other.) I heard Chris Johnson quit but if he didnt you could have even more. Plus a state champ who prob wins his section but might not be ranked 1 at time....that along with crazy head to heads among others could really make that bracket interesting.

Last edited:

SPRAWL

Here are some updated rankings based on available info and my opinion. Lots or weight drops already. Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

1. Lopez-Walden Grove
2. Billups-Coconino
3. Fellows-Show Low
4. Avalos CDO
5. Martin-Yuma
6. Castro-Peoria
1. Whitewater-Page
2. Perkins-Snowflake
3. Perez-Sunrise Mtn
4. Campista-Pueblo
5. Russo-Thunderbird
6. Sepulveda-Peoria