Division 3 Rankings

CVCougar

Yuma boy, or Yuma dad, it really doesn't matter. You see the hard work that your son puts in and a dad is always going to be his biggest fan. The MDN coaches see the Torres boys busting their butts and will be their biggest cheerleaders, and Rock's fan club up North knows what he is capable of and will say the same thing. There are no haters here, just awesome supporters. But the crystal ball still had the names right, just the wrong seeds. Rock as the one seed, meeting White in the semis, Torres as the 2 seed, meeting Gamez in the semis.

wm201617

Its the 4 top teams everyone has already stated that are in the hunt. State will come down to the same things it usually comes down to: The wrestlers still have to go out there and win the matches they are supposed to win and a couple need to win matches they shouldn't. And then bonus points. None of the top 4 teams have a big enough margin of error to go out there and lose matches they aren't supposed to. I have to give a slight edge to Waldon Grove because of some Show Low injuries that ended the season of one of them but they still can very likely win State as well. Safford only has 10 but they are pretty solid 10. Yuma may not have the higher seeds but they have the quantity in numbers if they over perform.

We are looking at 4 very well coached and disciplined teams contending for state. I will say this: These top teams at D3 this year would have a very good chance at winning D2 ( Not D1 but maybe 2nd or 3rd and for sure top 5 in D1) and I think that all 4 would be be in top 10 of D1 and/or D2 if they were competing with them. That's how good these teams are and they have proven it at the tournaments they went to where they have beaten top D1 and D2 teams. It will be an exciting State tournament because I really don't think any 1 team runs away with it.
Regardless of who actually wins, these teams went out this year and made D1 and D2 teams respect our Division.

Last edited:

Tak3down

Can anyone tell me about that MDN 120 Malik Jones, ive been seeing the kid wrestle but i dont recall seeing him last year is he a freshmen.Very talented

bayoubadger

Check out 195 bracket!!!
Same thing happened in D1. While I understand their are a myriad of reasons that a young man may have had to sit out most of the season. I think that it sends the wrong message to those that have worked hard all season. It happened in a few other brackets too. I think the most egregious is at D1 152. Cibola kids only to losses are to out of state guys. He is one of the best 152 pounders in the country. While I understand that the Corona Kid was State Champ last year, it was at 138. I think the AIA needs to do something to discourage this, or at least not reward it.

In the spirit of full disclosure my son got the 2 seed in D1 195. Other than the presumptive matchup in the semis the bottom half of the bracket is substantially easier than the top. So I think ultimately it worked out in his favor.

wm201617

Mr Rees, I totally agree with your post above. As a Showlow fan/parent we feel your pain. We were last section to wrestle on Saturday and saw that Sanford edged out as winner of his section which with a 6-0 record which JUST like your D1-195 bracket did put the best 2 wrestlers in the bottom. Well before our 195 final started the coaches did the math which is easy once you use the seeding criteria to figure out top 4 seeds and you can then see everything -- and I know for a fact that Keime was asked if he wanted to medical to the Page kid at our sectional finals and then that would have put Keime on the Sanford kid in the qtr finals up on the top. Based on common opponent win differences ( Ibanez) Keime would have a very good chance of beating Sanford there in the qtrs. However Keime said he had no problem seeing Mickelson in the semis and thinks he will beat him then and get to avenge that earlier loss where he feels he just got caught in a move after being up on Mickelson 4-1. Whoever wins that semi final will deserve it and it will be a tough close match I think. Either-way if you want to be the Champ you got to beat the best at some point. It will be a great semi final but they both have to win some other tough matches to get there too. Bland is way better than his record shows and is a tough wrestler. I think 3 wrestlers from our section will place at state. Chagolla, Ibanez, Sanford, Wright, Edwards, White etc are very tough as well. I don't know each of the others well but Mickelson and Keime both have to beat some good wrestlers to even meet in the semis or to win state or even place.

I don't know the answer or the "balance" but maybe under 10 wins only guarantees a top 4 seed unless said section champ is returning state champ or has a H2H win over another section champ. Or maybe the section winner has to have wrestled in at least one other 16 or greater team tournament to be seeded higher than 4. ( unless champ or H2H over other sectionwinner) Or an algorithm that rewards and slightly weights total match victories.
Winning Percentage + ( matches won * .0025 ) = total points
( everything carried to like 3 or 4 decimal places)

I don't know but someone smarter than me should apply common sense to the seeding criteria.

Also by the way we are very impressed by your son and his academic achievements as well. Was it Navy or Airforce Academy he is going to?

Good luck to your son.

Last edited: