Division 3 Rankings

wm201617

Just for kicks.
My absolute lock to win state is Henderson at 182. I know WG has Guerrero and then of course Dawon but I don't see anyone touching Henderson.
My big upset prediction would be Wilhelm over Silva. I also don' t think the Torres boys win state. Just my opinion. Trust me I will be rooting for Torres vs Gamez as Show Low needs every WG loss we can get to help us as a team.

bayoubadger

Mr Rees, I totally agree with your post above. As a Showlow fan/parent we feel your pain. We were last section to wrestle on Saturday and saw that Sanford edged out as winner of his section which with a 6-0 record which JUST like your D1-195 bracket did put the best 2 wrestlers in the bottom. Well before our 195 final started the coaches did the math which is easy once you use the seeding criteria to figure out top 4 seeds and you can then see everything -- and I know for a fact that Keime was asked if he wanted to medical to the Page kid at our sectional finals and then that would have put Keime on the Sanford kid in the qtr finals up on the top. Based on common opponent win differences ( Ibanez) Keime would have a very good chance of beating Sanford there in the qtrs. However Keime said he had no problem seeing Mickelson in the semis and thinks he will beat him then and get to avenge that earlier loss where he feels he just got caught in a move after being up on Mickelson 4-1. Whoever wins that semi final will deserve it and it will be a tough close match I think. Either-way if you want to be the Champ you got to beat the best at some point. It will be a great semi final but they both have to win some other tough matches to get there too. Bland is way better than his record shows and is a tough wrestler. I think 3 wrestlers from our section will place at state. Chagolla, Ibanez, Sanford, Wright, Edwards, White etc are very tough as well. I don't know each of the others well but Mickelson and Keime both have to beat some good wrestlers to even meet in the semis or to win state or even place.

I don't know the answer or the "balance" but maybe under 10 wins only guarantees a top 4 seed unless said section champ is returning state champ or has a H2H win over another section champ. Or maybe the section winner has to have wrestled in at least one other 16 or greater team tournament to be seeded higher than 4. ( unless champ or H2H over other sectionwinner) Or an algorithm that rewards and slightly weights total match victories.
Winning Percentage + ( matches won * .0025 ) = total points
( everything carried to like 3 or 4 decimal places)

I don't know but someone smarter than me should apply common sense to the seeding criteria.

Also by the way we are very impressed by your son and his academic achievements as well. Was it Navy or Airforce Academy he is going to?

Good luck to your son.
Thank you. He has had a great year. It's funny what being healthy will do. I have to say that when he wrestled Keime it was probably the most worried I had been all season. I had never seen Keime wrestle. Sure, Nuessle from Liberty is a beast but we knew what we were getting with him.

The only time I have seen Mickleson wrestle was at Flowing Wells and I was completely underwhelmed. Granted the Desert Vista kid had the tournament of his lifetime. I think if Keime wrestles his match he will be fine.

I also think that 3 at 195 from our section will place. I also think we could wind up with 2 from our section in the finals.

It is West Point that he is planning on going to. It is a waiting game at this point. He has everything in including his Congressional Nomination. Hopefully he finds out soon.

Last edited:

SHORT TIME

Good luck to the Div lll Sec lV teams at State and their placements. u just gotta play the cards that is dealt to you and take 1 match at a time. no matter the seeding or rankings any good wrestler can be taken out on any givin day. Now the question is mentally, are you prepared? .......

SHORT TIME

CVCougar yes u are right. the 1 thing d3s4 has over any other section is a MAJOR FAN BASE. despit beating each other up all year we all support and root for one another despit the school u go to. its the Pride of the North. Good luck to all the hard working wrestlers going to state. some dreams will be made and other will shatter

chingon76

Staff member
CVCougar yes u are right. the 1 thing d3s4 has over any other section is a MAJOR FAN BASE. despit beating each other up all year we all support and root for one another despit the school u go to. its the Pride of the North. Good luck to all the hard working wrestlers going to state. some dreams will be made and other will shatter
thus is one of the truths exhibited in the sport of wrestling. It has the highest highs and the lowest of lows. Wrestling teaches us to examine what went wrong and what went right... but it teaches us to keep going. We had some heartbreaker matches. A few of our matches on Saturday reminded me of this film........sometimes you just don't deserve the win. Sometimes it get's snatched from you.

watch it all but my favorite part starts around 5:01 Iowa Clicky

New to the forum and I just want to say that this year's D3 160lbs weight class is worth the admission all by itself. Going to be a very exciting weekend. Good luck to everyone.

chingon76

Staff member
Hard to believe a kid like that didnt qualify. I know many studs like that but mostly its a problem with grades haha. The contenders better not sleep on him
As a teacher and coach... this is an issue for many athletes. It must be noted that student-athletes are STUDENTS first. You might be a great wrestler but a champion strives for excellence in EVERY aspect of his life. Poor grades can keep you from competing. No college wants to deal with babysitting an athlete and his/her grades. If we [as a coaching staff/parents/mentors] urge our wrestlers to exemplify excellence on and off the mat... they will be better people overall and will succeed in far more arenas of life.

FamousLie

Wow D3 was wild. Yuma wins by 1/2 a point on the strength of a fall by their heavyweight against the #1 seed in the tournament. That is a legendary performance. The lead changed 3 times in the last 3 weights of the tournament, Show Low taking the lead after 195, then Walden Grove seemingly clinching it with their 220 winning over Yuma for 5th place, and then Yuma comes out on top at heavyweight with just enough points to take the team title. I think the last time a team race was this close was 95 when Santa Cruz edged Holbrook by 1/2 a point.

JMP2808

Wow D3 was wild. Yuma wins by 1/2 a point on the strength of a fall by their heavyweight against the #1 seed in the tournament. That is a legendary performance. The lead changed 3 times in the last 3 weights of the tournament, Show Low taking the lead after 195, then Walden Grove seemingly clinching it with their 220 winning over Yuma for 5th place, and then Yuma comes out on top at heavyweight with just enough points to take the team title. I think the last time a team race was this close was 95 when Santa Cruz edged Holbrook by 1/2 a point.
What about the Phantom 1 point team deduction by the ref against Walden in that 195 5th place match. There Was A Little OF Everything In That State Title run. Congratulations to Yuma. Hvwt came through.

JMP2808

What about the Phantom 1 point team deduction by the ref against Walden in that 195 5th place match. There Was A Little OF Everything In That State Title run. Congratulations to Yuma. Hvwt came through.
I have video with audio on that whole match. I'll try and post it you explain to me where the coach created a foul that warrants the 1 point deduction and what's even more crazy is the explanation by the ref for the 1 point deduction.

SPRAWL

For all the doubters:
1st Place Match
  • Jackson Allen (Show Low) 49-1, Sr. over Andrew Torres (Marcos De Niza) 57-1, Sr. (SV-1 3-1)