girls wrestling a sanctioned AIA sport next year?

chingon76

Staff member
Hey all,
anyone in the know concerning girls wrestling becoming a sanctioned AIA sport next year? From what I learned from other coaches its been on the table for at least two years and AIA should have voted on it.
The details that I know:
girls wrestling would be a spring sport.
girls wrestling would focus on freestyle
coaches would be able to apply for position and / or get a new stipend
it grow the f86k out of Arizona wrestling.

I'm wondering if there is any NEW news on the matter. Any major thing blocking the new addition?

My thoughts:
money is always an issue
insurance for freestyle wrestling (more injuries with throws and such?) though I feel this could be offset with coach training through USA wrestling, USA Wrestling Card purchase (will insure)

Hillis

Up north, we've had 31 girls wrestling. This is only the schools I've asked on the Navajo rez and border towns. there are even more in our MS/JrH programs. I think it needs to happen as well. I've asked for our VMI to host a separate Girls Div tournament but it didn't jive with the AIA plans.
I've wondered about Freestyle and I know its what is in place in college women's wrestling. Could it also be an underlying reason to keep girls wrestling out of the AZ high schools? Just my two cents.
I'd like to still see it happen.

chingon76

Staff member
damn, I was speaking with dean visser at d3 finals... I meant to ask this question to "the man" himself. I hope AIA decides on this. I really think it will grow the sport of wrestling in AZ

Maria G Brown

Can someone please inform me as to where I can get my hands on the registration form needed for my girls to participate at the Girls State Tournament this Saturday?

Thanks,
Maria