Let's Grow AZ Girls' Wrestling!

Eagle74

Hello Everyone,

I am the newly elected Women's Wrestling Director for AZ-USAW and I'm definitely interested in growing girls' wrestling in our state to the state where it can really help us grow our sport as a whole. I'm of the opinion that the more wrestlers we have in practice rooms and on mats competing, the better position we can be to garner support and exposure for wrestling at all levels. Bonus points if we can support gender equality in sport along the way.

My first order of business is to put together a mailing list of coaches, wrestlers, parents, and supporters that want to know what's going on with Girls' wrestling in AZ.

I'm also open to suggestion for anyone that has ideas about how we can better support and grow the girls divisions in Arizona.

If you would like to be included in a monthly mailing on what's developing with our girls in AZ you can signup here: http://eepurl.com/bLa_sH!

Old Fart

If you are interested in developing and expanding Women's wrestling in Arizona, you have one of the top resources living in Phoenix. Coach Redman was the Founder and President of the CWWA the association that built girls wrestling in high schools in California and pushed the CIF (California) into finally recognize girls wrestling as an official sport. Robert Redman, Hall of Fame Coach Lee Allen, Mike Minahan, Carl Murphree and Steve Solis started the California Woman's Wrestling Assn. and CIF finally implemented all of the ideas CWWA had developed. Coach Minahan started an unofficial State tournament which the CWWA moved to Hanford to make it more centralized increasing the numbers from Southern California. Coach Redman developed the Section tournaments that were used as unofficial qualifiers to the State Tournament. Redman and Solis came up with the weight classes based on a three year study of tournaments. They also increased the opportunities during the season by increasing the number of tournament from the Original four Napa, which Coach Murphree turned into the largest, toughest tournament in the Nation and San Leandro, Castro Valley and Thousand Oaks to having a tournament available every weekend for girls to wrestle in. CWWA established League Championships to promote female involvement. Established a ranking system and helped finance trips to National events. Coach Redman, Coach Allen, Coach Murphree and Coach Kip Flanik also started the Collegiate Women's Wrestling Assn. which was changed to the current WCWA by the Coach of Oklahoma City College when they joined, so he could take credit for coming up with the Organization. Coach Redman still conducts clinics and has presented the same College Recruitment Lecture that you posted. He has 30 years of Coaching: Club, Jr. High, High School and at the College level. Winning National Titles and over 100 All-Americans. He currently owns Arizona Academy of Combative Arts, He was working at Willow Canyon.