Mile High

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

I just looked on T*ackwrestling and it’s showing that RBY is wrestling at 132 now... Rodriguez at 138. So who’s your guess at 2nd place at 132?

Poor kids that have to wrestle RBY. They have to wrestle against a kid that could be filling Penn States 125 or 133 THIS season. He's just too dominant, it's not even fair who he wrestles all the way up thru 145, or 152 for that matter. It also looks like SS has a full roster there with their top guns, inuding Ybarra at 113. SS is going to coast.

Last edited:
Maybe he's hurt? Maybe he's sick? Maybe he decided to go on the family vacation? (Just like every excuse for every other BIG D1 and D2 program). That said, I wouldn't worry about Ramos, I'm sure he'll be ready. He'll blow through the D4 competition when the time comes, as he continues to compete at every other top tournament in the country.

Last edited:

matman

Maybe he's hurt? Maybe he's sick? Maybe he decided to to go on the family vacation? (Just like every excuse for every other BIG D1 and D2 program). That said, I wouldn't worry about Ramos, he'll be ready. He'll blow through the D4 competition when the time comes, as he continues to compete at every other top tournament in the country.
Do you know who he has beaten in high school that is a high caliber wrestler?

Of course. Look at the 15 and under bracket at the Freakshow, 128 man Bracket Champion as a 14 year old. 3rd place at Tulsa Nationals, 15 and under as a 13 year old. And the word is that he just beat a California HIGH SCHOOL State Champ a couple weeks ago (Cali only has ONE division, unlike FOUR in Arizona. Not to mention 6-8x the population of the state of Arizona). I'm sure MANY of these kids are in high school by now, trust me on that.

Last edited:

matman

Of course. Look at the 15 and under bracket at the Freakshow, 128 man Bracket Champion as a 14 year old. 3rd place at Tulsa Nationals, 15 and under as a 13 year old. And the word is that he just beat a California HIGH SCHOOL State Champ a couple weeks ago (Cali only has ONE division, unlike FOUR in Arizona. Not to mention 6-8x the population of the state of Arizona). I'm sure MANY of these kids are in high school by now, trust me on that.
That’s nice and all but you still haven’t mentioned a high caliber wrestler in Arizona that’s in high school...

matman

Not knocking the kid. But those tournaments you mentioned are not a good indication of how kids do in high school. Now if you were to mention Ironman, Super 32, Doc B, The clash, more high school driven tournaments like that then that’s another story

Ironman? Super 32? Doc Buchanon? The Clash? When was the last time AZ kids even competed in these tournaments at a high level? That's just rare. Maybe 3-5 years ago, if that? That said, Ramos may have trouble against AZ D1 talent because they're more accustomed to competing nationally.

matman

Ironman? Super 32? Doc Buchanon? The Clash? When was the last time AZ kids even competed in these tournaments at a high level? That's just rare. Maybe 3-5 years ago, if that? That said, Ramos may have trouble against AZ D1 talent because they're more accustomed to competing nationally.
I know this year and last kids from AZ wrestled in some of these high caliber high school tournaments. Look at Gandara, RBY, Just to name a couple that have won or were runner up, or placed at some of these tournaments

wm201617

I am at Mile High and yes Sunnyside is dominating. Liberty, Show Low, and Marana Mt View will prob end up wrapping up the next 3 spots. I am not sure Mt View is wrestling with their full lineup and I know Show Low is not wrestling 3 of their weight classes with their Varsity yet. I think Liberty is though and I think D2 state will go to Liberty with Marana Mt View right there close behind them.
I cant speak for other teams in D1 as I dont know them as well as D3 but in my opinion Sunnyside wins DI state handily. I am sure Chandler and Cibola will show up well but I dont think they can take SS. Cibola I think has better chance because they can push more 1s and 2s from their section into state than maybe Chandler.

Back to Mile High...if Mordecai makes finals I think ( just my opinion dont hate me) Allen majors him at the least.
The Horizon kid is good too which is why I say "if" Mordecai makes finals.

I am sure Ramos is very good. But in my opinion he needs a signature win in AZ. Maybe he has that. I didnt go through Track Wrestling enough to see. But Jackson Allen never got any respect until he beat Savage in the state finals his sophomore year. Savage had been in the Pound for pound top 10 rankings until that time and had beaten all other D1 and D2 eventual champs. Ramos needs a win like that in my opinion.

RBY is ridiculous. I totally agree with other poster who said he felt sorry for his opponents.
It makes me wonder how he is able to stay so sharp during the HS season as there is no challenge statewide. His room during practice is probably tougher than any match at any tournament.

AZ_wrestlinFan#1

After Day 1 Sunnyside is in 1st place with 156.5 points. Show Low in 2nd with 108.5. Liberty in 3rd with 108. Marana Mountain View in 4th with 99.5.

East Valley

We have to remember to be a little careful talking about a HS kid on a forum. He’s not on here saying anything. I’m sure he is doing his best. I’ve seen him & believe he will do well!