WRESTLING ROOM

1801 E. FIR ST.
COTTONWOOD, AZ

NO WRESTLER, TEAM, OR SPECTATOR ENTRY FEE

ALL ATHLETES MUST PRESENT A CURRENT USA WRESTLING CARD AT REGISTRATION

GET 8-12 MATCHES BEFORE LUNCH FOR FREE!

MINGUS WEEKEND WARS.png

Mingus Wrestling

All wrestlers are required to submit a parent-signed release waiver in order to participate. Form is attached.

Attachments

• 2021 Mingus Waiver Weekend Wars Release.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 30

tworkman

What time are weighins? Are there refs? Are wrestling shoes and shorts and a t-shirt fine to wear?

We hope to bring 13+ youth up. Thank you.

jfingd

Staff member
What time are weighins? Are there refs? Are wrestling shoes and shorts and a t-shirt fine to wear?

We hope to bring 13+ youth up. Thank you.
We've been up a couple times, in past years--it's pretty informal, no weigh-in's, and you just hit people up, and ask if you can wrestle. Unless they changed it up a bit...

MingusCoach

Staff member
You can arrive early to verify your own weight. It is very informal. Arrive between 7 and 7;30 to register. Must have USA card. Coaches help referee matches. Wrestling shoes and t shirts are fine. We start wrestling at 8 am so don't be late. It messes up things when people are late. Please bring water bottles for kids. Everyone must have a waiver signed by parent/guardian.
Thank you

MingusCoach

Staff member
What a great start! Even though it was Easter Weekend we had a huge huge turnout of Elementary and Middle school kids and they will be back. A very good turn out in the High School Division we had wrestlers from ALA Queen Creek, Mingus, Camp Verde, Ironwood, Phoenix, Liberty, Holbrook, Centennial, Desert Edge and Mesquite. Many reached there goal of ten matches and some exceeded up to 15 matches. It goes without saying that those competitors who compete against quality wrestlers in the off-season, will prevail in the winter season.

If you are looking for great competition then this is where you want to be. I encourage those of you that have not yet joined in on the fun at Weekend Wars, to please come and see for yourself what the excitement is all about. We were done by 10:30 AM with plenty of time to get back home early and enjoy the rest of the day.

I would like to thank all the Coaches for their contributions to Weekend Wars. We appreciate your invaluable support in helping us develop Weekend Wars into one of the best Off-season quality Mat time programs around.

We could never have achieved so much without coaches like yourselves. It is through your kindness and desire to help kids in the community that truly impresses me. I am truly touched by your generosity, your spirit, and willingness to go out of your way to help kids. You are real Mentors. I am indeed lucky to have friends like you in my life. Thank you again for being so thoughtful in your support.

Just a reminder that Saturday April 17th, is the next Weekend Wars. See you all there.

Thanks Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
Attendance records again were amazing. It is truly unbelievable the amount of matches being averaged at Weekend Wars. Not only High School but the Little guys attendance were phenomenal. We also had many girls wrestling. All those who were assertive averaged 14 matches by 11AM.

This is the place for quality mat time during the off season. The tournament attracts many serious contenders from throughout Arizona. Anybody that’s a serious wrestler, practices and participates in Summer competition, as preparation for the Winter season. Each wrestler who attends is given the opportunity to wrestle up to ten matches. This is a big draw for teams statewide, who face the same dilemma, which is the lack of wrestling competition. Ten simultaneous high school matches and ten Middle school matches of nonstop grappling takes place every three minutes and by the end of the day there is an abundance of mat burns, a few bloody noses, but a wealth of wrestling experience for each athlete that makes the trip to Mingus High School’s (Weekend Wars).

It is amazing to see everyone that attends and the new friends we meet every other weekend. It’s a great honor that we gather together as colleagues, witnessing wrestlers of the past who now carry on the torch and are coaching and mentoring the youth in their communities. The room is full of souls with passion for the sport providing technical advice and placing hope in the hands of our children.

Many thanks to the following programs that participated this weekend. Camp Verde, Bradshaw Mountain, Corona del Sol, Coconino, Willow Canyon, Liberty, Snowflake, Yuma Catholic, Shadow Mountain, Mesquite, Dobson, Mingus, ALA Queen Creek, Arizona College Prep, Sandra Day O’Conner, Patriots, Big Horns, Vista High, Centennial, South Valley, Mountain Ridge, Grind House, Arcadia, Cortez, Mayer, Brophy, Prescott, Mustang Elite, Payson, Saber Cat Wrestling Club, Thunder Cats, Shadow Ridge, San Tan Valley, Desert Ridge, Cornville, Northern Arizona Grapplers, Humbolt, Chain Gang, and Joseph City.

So come on up and join in on the fun.

Thank you

Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
Weekend wars was awesome with huge number of wrestlers in attendance. So many teams brought quality wrestlers. The quality of wrestling matches was phenomenal. Unbelievable is the best way to describe several of the matches. Thank you to all those who came up and participated. Teams/clubs in attendance, ALA Queen Creek, Bradshaw, Camp Verde, Valliant, Mingus, Laveen, Humboldt, Snowflake, Arizona College Prep, Coconino, Pinnacle, Kofa, Cornville, Prescott, Arizona Lutheran, Chandler, Corona Del Sol, Patriots, Thoroughbred, Somerton, Brophy, Holbrook, Liberty, Canyon View, Cactus Shadows, Pueblo, Anza Trail, and Payson. Sorry if I missed anyone, some of my paperwork was missing.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Las Vegas Team coming to Weekend Wars this Saturday. So if you are looking for different styles of competition, come on up and join in on the fun. Don't be late.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Another good turn out. Again so many teams brought quality wrestlers. The quality of wrestling matches was breath taking. Unbelievable is the best way to describe several of the matches. Thank you to all those who came up and participated. Teams/clubs in attendance, ALA Queen Creek, Bradshaw, Chain Gang, Camp Verde, Casteel, Mingus, Laveen, Humboldt, Snowflake, Page, Pinnacle, Kofa, Cornville, Yuma, Prescott, Arizona Lutheran, Chandler, Corona Del Sol, Patriots, Thoroughbred, Somerton, Brophy, Holbrook, Liberty, Canyon View, Cactus Shadows, Payson, Mesquite, Somerton, Ganado, Flagstaff, Basic, Globe, Prescott, Pueblo, Anza Trail, Yuma Catholic, Grind House, and Payson. Sorry if I missed anyone, some of my paperwork was missing.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Weekend Wars has been cancelled for the remainder of this year. Sorry for any inconvenience but safety is our first concern, especially with new Covid Variant restrictions.