OSW

TUMBLEWEED

Seeing how the state dropped it a few years back... Who do you think was worthy of OW?

Overall my vote would go to Josh Herrera of Desert Edge. Pinned everyone in 1st period.

D-1 would go to David Salazar of Sunnyside. Pinned everyone.
The first three were in the first period.
Honorable mention to
Kolo Uasike of Skyline. Also pinned through tournament, just not as quick as Salazar.

Also team wise I think MArana Mtn. View earned top rankings. Holding on to win the D-2 team title after taking 2nd to queen creek all year. Came through when was most important.

The other divisions seamed to have been pretty clear who was gonna win before tournament started.

Hats off to all champions and placers. Keep up the good work

TUMBLEWEED

Seeing how the state dropped it a few years back... Who do you think was worthy of OW?

Overall my vote would go to Josh Herrera of Desert Edge. Pinned everyone in 1st period.

Honorable mention to
Kolo Uasike of Skyline. Also pinned through tournament, just not as quick as Salazar.

Also team wise I think MArana Mtn. View earned top rankings. Holding on to win the D-2 team title after taking 2nd to queen creek all year. Came through when was most important.

The other divisions seamed to have been pretty clear who was gonna win before tournament started.

Didn't follow D-3 & 4, who was worthy of top honors?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't follow D-3 & 4, who was worthy of top honors?

I think is is just called OW. Unless things have changed over the years.

I have Brandon Courtney, Desert Edge for D2. I believe he pinned everyone as well.

TUMBLEWEED

You're absolutely right about that 0W not OSW

He had a technical fall score of 20 to 5 versus Tellez of Cieniga.

All of his wins coming in the first period. And a 14 second pin in the finals is nothing to complain about.
I was going off of pins being the number one criteria for my OW voting

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

Honorable mention to

It really is a shame that the AIA has dropped the OW award. I mean it's only 4 trophies. Sometimes I just don't think the big dogs in the AIA even know what they are doing, let alone I think Dean Visser just does not care about wrestling. When someone does not care about the sport they are coordinating it can really hurt the sport.

Last edited:
Sorta have to agree with @Admin. Visser has been at the helm for a long time now. Instead of progressing he seems to have regressed or worse, stayed stagnant! It would he would liked to have keep up with the trends to help promote Arizona wrestling. He is a very knowledge man when it comes to the sport of wrestling. Makes me wonder what or who is holding him down?