16. Stone Crooks- Boulder Creek
17. Jackson Allen- Show Low
18. Adam Henderson- Blue Ridge
19. Weston Milnes- Arizona Luthern
20. Josh Herrera- Desert Edge
20. Chad Porter- Desert Vista

Last edited:

bayoubadger

How is Dawon Andrews P4P when he got PINNED at flowing wells and before that he was losing 4-1??? Paradise Valley's undefeated 170 Treyvin Cato should be on this list. He has wins over Jason Moore, Stephen Graham, Billy Fiore, Joshua Vigh and wrestled UP a weight class to face Curtis Stevenson at 182 and gave him his first loss of the season. Hard working kid and just breaks kids on the mat.
I agree. Cato is good and deserves to be on the list. He really has come on strong this year.

phoenix28

Tommy Mommer is a good name that could be included on this list. Returning state champion, undefeated in AZ (I think) and took fourth at NHSCA Sophomore nationals. Also Chad Porter. Returning State Champion , undefeated in AZ (I think) and took third at USA Wrestling Folkstyle Nationals. Also I think Trey Escobar could be higher. You have teammate two places higher. Both are returning state champs with one loss in az this year but Trey is also a fargo finalist and his only az loss is to bravo with a win over the always tough Stone Crooks.

Tommy Mommer is a good name that could be included on this list. Returning state champion, undefeated in AZ (I think) and took fourth at NHSCA Sophomore nationals. Also Chad Porter. Returning State Champion , undefeated in AZ (I think) and took third at USA Wrestling Folkstyle Nationals. Also I think Trey Escobar could be higher. You have teammate two places higher. Both are returning state champs with one loss in az this year but Trey is also a fargo finalist and his only az loss is to bravo with a win over the always tough Stone Crooks.
Tommy Mommer is tough! Good athletic heavyweight, mentally tough! I like him. His only loss in Arizona this season was in the finals at Peoria against Northview High School (Covina, CA. Escobar should be a top 5 P4P.

acestallion

The match with Mommer and Serna was a great match it was very close with Serna pulling it out in the end. It's not a bad loss for Mommer either as Serna's one of the top Hwts in Cali. With Mommer being closer to a 220lber I think it's only fitting that he would be on this list.

Carlos W.

How is Dawon Andrews P4P when he got PINNED at flowing wells and before that he was losing 4-1??? Paradise Valley's undefeated 170 Treyvin Cato should be on this list. He has wins over Jason Moore, Stephen Graham, Billy Fiore, Joshua Vigh and wrestled UP a weight class to face Curtis Stevenson at 182 and gave him his first loss of the season. Hard working kid and just breaks kids on the mat.

Carlos W.

How can you say andrews dont deserve to be on list 103-1 4 state titles if you include jr. High championship a fargo champion went up weight this year and he is on track to do something no other wrestler has done in the history of az wrestling 6x champion the kid has the heart of a lion.

BlueDotter

Marcus Castillo of Marana Mt. View beat Trey Escobar handily in the finals and he should be above him now. Also was the only match in the whole tournament that featured two All Americans.

Wrestlers

Not sure why Marcus Castillo would be on the official list of Pound 4 Pound and Gator Groves not when Gator beat him in the semifinals of last year's state championship and hasn't lost a match since. Gator has 3 state championships and a career record of 164-3. In fact the 2, 3 and 4 placers behind Gator in last year's 126 state bracket all won state this year.

phoenix28

I think that's a good point about head to head win for groves, although a lot can change in a year. Obviously it's hard to compare the boys in Arizona, does anyone have some info on the national accolades for some of these kids?

giark65

Versus a P4P list I'd really like to see a P4P list of wrestlers in AZ per weight class. I think many get skewed by the concept of P4P when in reality it's nearly impossible to determine. I mean, the purpose of this should be for younger pups to see the standard and for recruiters to know who to watch.

I like Phoenix28's comment, national accolades or competition should also be a top tier component to rankings. Though not required, they do give a marker upon our AZ wrestlers within national competition.

This isn't about chest beating. It's simply about recognizing wrestlers who have excelled above the norm and have earned recognition. Ultimately, if they're that good, a scholarship will ensue to compliment their achievements.

SPRAWL

I agree with Phoenix 28, that Tommy Mommer should be on the list. 2 time state Champ, and NHSCA Sophomore
All-American. Also think Jackson Allen, 3 time state Champ with 105-7 over 3 seasons, and Adam Henderson, 2 time state champ, NHSCA Sophomore All-American 109-3 over 2 season should be higher on the list, as well as Josh Herrera who was very impressive @ state. Also Dawon Andrews is the real deal, believe he holds national titles in Greco and Freestyle.

Last edited: