Realignment?

Discussion in 'Wrestling Talk - HS' started by FamousLie, Feb 4, 2020.

1. FamousLie

FamousLie Well-Known Member

Anyone know why the AIA hasn't released the new conferences yet? Football was a bigger issue and they released that without problem. I'm curious to see where some schools fall during this next bloc.

2. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

I think it’s because wrestling isn’t so straight. I have a feeling that it’s not as simple as all 6A is DI.

3. Allazallstars

Allazallstars Well-Known Member

4. Wrestling – Divisions I – IV
    a. Division I – 6A schools
    b. Division II – 5A schools and top 10 4A schools by enrollment
    c. Division III – Remaining 4A schools and top 10 3A schools by enrollment
    d. Division IV – Remaining 3A schools and all 2A, 1A schools

This was the original plan on AIA website, but some of the DIV schools complained so now they have to redo the plan.

4. CVCougar

CVCougar Well-Known Member

What schools have enough "pull" to get the AIA to make changes when they complain? And how does my school get added to that list?

5. jfingd

jfingd Well-Known Member

If they added a true second to the existing "State" tournament, they could relabel that a divisional tournament, and take the top two, and have a True State tournament the following week. 8 man brackets.

6. jfingd

jfingd Well-Known Member

Or take the top four, and have a 16 man bracket.

East Valley likes this.
  7. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I think it would be a great idea, and give a lot more credit and weight to AZ state champs in terms of recruiting, to call our current state Divisionals, and then take the top 4 from each division and wrestle a true state championship the following week. I dont think it would screw up schedules either, as wrestling is already done at least two weeks before basketball and soccer.

On that note, I am also not opposed to expanding the, what would be, divisional tournament, taking the top 6 from each section. I am actually not opposed to that right now.

8. FamousLie

FamousLie Well-Known Member

It just seems kind of dumb the way they do it. If they stick to the 4 divisions thing then the math works out pretty well. There's 205 schools with wrestling. So just divide them evenly and make your sectionals from there. It isn't like we're asking the AIA to perform brain surgery here, anyone with a pad of paper and a calculator can do this in an hour.

9. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

So, there were some sections up in Phoenix for Div II that had only 5 or 6 wrestlers per weight class, as opposed to us down in Tucson which had 10 -11 wrestlers per weight class. We need to reevaluate our sections. One section at I think 113 had 3 wrestlers. Its not okay that a kid who has had a great season doesnt go to state and someone else just defaults in.

lrchandllr likes this.