Realignment?

FamousLie

Anyone know why the AIA hasn't released the new conferences yet? Football was a bigger issue and they released that without problem. I'm curious to see where some schools fall during this next bloc.

Coach Pat

I think it’s because wrestling isn’t so straight. I have a feeling that it’s not as simple as all 6A is DI.

Allazallstars

4. Wrestling – Divisions I – IV
a. Division I – 6A schools
b. Division II – 5A schools and top 10 4A schools by enrollment
c. Division III – Remaining 4A schools and top 10 3A schools by enrollment
d. Division IV – Remaining 3A schools and all 2A, 1A schools

This was the original plan on AIA website, but some of the DIV schools complained so now they have to redo the plan.

CVCougar

What schools have enough "pull" to get the AIA to make changes when they complain? And how does my school get added to that list?

jfingd

Staff member
If they added a true second to the existing "State" tournament, they could relabel that a divisional tournament, and take the top two, and have a True State tournament the following week. 8 man brackets.

Coach Pat

Or take the top four, and have a 16 man bracket.
If they added a true second to the existing "State" tournament, they could relabel that a divisional tournament, and take the top two, and have a True State tournament the following week. 8 man brackets.
I totally agree. I think it would be a great idea, and give a lot more credit and weight to AZ state champs in terms of recruiting, to call our current state Divisionals, and then take the top 4 from each division and wrestle a true state championship the following week. I dont think it would screw up schedules either, as wrestling is already done at least two weeks before basketball and soccer.

On that note, I am also not opposed to expanding the, what would be, divisional tournament, taking the top 6 from each section. I am actually not opposed to that right now.

FamousLie

It just seems kind of dumb the way they do it. If they stick to the 4 divisions thing then the math works out pretty well. There's 205 schools with wrestling. So just divide them evenly and make your sectionals from there. It isn't like we're asking the AIA to perform brain surgery here, anyone with a pad of paper and a calculator can do this in an hour.

Coach Pat

So, there were some sections up in Phoenix for Div II that had only 5 or 6 wrestlers per weight class, as opposed to us down in Tucson which had 10 -11 wrestlers per weight class. We need to reevaluate our sections. One section at I think 113 had 3 wrestlers. Its not okay that a kid who has had a great season doesnt go to state and someone else just defaults in.

So, there were some sections up in Phoenix for Div II that had only 5 or 6 wrestlers per weight class, as opposed to us down in Tucson which had 10 -11 wrestlers per weight class. We need to reevaluate our sections. One section at I think 113 had 3 wrestlers. Its not okay that a kid who has had a great season doesnt go to state and someone else just defaults in.
I agree with your point, but that was in a section with 9 schools but only 4 schools in that section had a 113lb. You want the best kids to wrestle at State against each other. But there's no way to control how many kids are in a weight class. But you shouldn't have some section with 9 schools and others with 14.

MingusCoach

Staff member
As an elder I do recognize that anyone in a leadership position is subject to be scrutinized. That being said, those in charge should know that if a date had been set to establish a new two year conference and sectional alignment, it should have been adhered to (November). When you change your mind it makes one appear disorganized and wishy washy, lacking strength or boldness.

Let me make myself clear, I am not saying anyone is guilty of this, it just gives that appearance. What should happen now is that the set criteria should be followed through (the original plan) and if anyone disagrees, there is a set appeals process that one can use to submit their personal reasons why they are against it.

By prolonging the process, it promotes gossip, anxiety, phone calls with enquiring minds. The list goes on and on. So let’s put out the information and get through this change. If not then put me on the same list that CV Cougar is talking about LOL. I encourage everyone to stop the complaining and let’s give the AIA an opportunity to resolve this matter expeditiously.

If a doctor who has to amputate your hand, do you want him to remove it one finger at a time or remove all at once and get on with life? Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Coach Pat

I agree with your point, but that was in a section with 9 schools but only 4 schools in that section had a 113lb. You want the best kids to wrestle at State against each other. But there's no way to control how many kids are in a weight class. But you shouldn't have some section with 9 schools and others with 14.

I know that I would be willing to travel up to phoenix for one day, if it meant evening out the sections. I agree, there should be more even sections. Why not take a look at section strength every year or every two years. spread those teams out. Look at the top 8 teams at Div II state. Four were from Div II Sec I and four were from I think Div II Sec IV (which ever section is the Gilbert/San Tan area). Spread us out.

FamousLie

There's always going to be imbalances no matter what. I actually like the sections/regions as is, even though they'll change with schools moving up/down. The reason is because it gives other regions/sections that might not be as strong a chance to build up. If you separated the top 4 teams in D1 to different sections, it would just keep them in a position to beat up on weaker teams. Like Cibola and Liberty, the 2 best D1 programs in the state. Same region/section, but if you took one of them out, other than Kofa which is up and coming, it would just mean less competition. If you are wrestling on a team for a school in the PUHSD where coaches change pretty much every year, if you don't at least have some success and you're starting off or whatever, it could be discouraging to be thrown into a section/region with a school like that even though they aren't close by or in your area. It would just ensure the rich get richer and schools would struggle when they can't get enough kids out because they don't feel like they can beat a pseudo club team like Liberty.

Laveen

I believe there was a wrestling aia meeting on Wednesday does anyone know what was said.
Yes. Rather than dividing the schools into equal quarters where each division would have 52 schools, the committee recommended the following: D1 - 48; D2 - 48; D3 - 52; and D4 - 60+. The rationale is that the D1 and D2 schools should be able to field full teams at sectionals while not all schools in D3 and D4 can do so. D1 and D2 will have 12 teams in each section, D3 will have 13 in each section, and D4 will have 14-16 in each section. Sections will be set using the following guidelines - location, competitive equity, and school district unity. Competitive equity was determined by analyzing the composite average of each teams placement at state for the past 5 years. D1 sections gave greater weight to competitive equity. This has been done for the past several years. The final approval will still require AIA board approval, but the recommendations were virtually unanimous.

FamousLie

Yes. Rather than dividing the schools into equal quarters where each division would have 52 schools, the committee recommended the following: D1 - 48; D2 - 48; D3 - 52; and D4 - 60+. The rationale is that the D1 and D2 schools should be able to field full teams at sectionals while not all schools in D3 and D4 can do so. D1 and D2 will have 12 teams in each section, D3 will have 13 in each section, and D4 will have 14-16 in each section. Sections will be set using the following guidelines - location, competitive equity, and school district unity. Competitive equity was determined by analyzing the composite average of each teams placement at state for the past 5 years. D1 sections gave greater weight to competitive equity. This has been done for the past several years. The final approval will still require AIA board approval, but the recommendations were virtually unanimous.

That actually sounds pretty decent, except I don't agree with the sections realignment really. Like there's no way they'll keep Cibola and Liberty together, but I think that's good because it gives other schools a chance at getting some kids through to state. At the end of the day there's going to be some imbalance, but separating the top teams in different sections just ensures the same teams stay on top and squeezes out marginal teams who maybe don't carry a full lineup or have a lot of coaching turnover and just keep coming up short because of that.

Allazallstars

Just make a super section then. 12 teams

Sunnyside
Liberty
Cibola
Desert Vista
Mountain View
Boulder Creek
Kofa
Corona Del Sol
Mesa
Hamilton
Chandler
Perry

HAHAHAHA

Laveen

That actually sounds pretty decent, except I don't agree with the sections realignment really. Like there's no way they'll keep Cibola and Liberty together, but I think that's good because it gives other schools a chance at getting some kids through to state. At the end of the day there's going to be some imbalance, but separating the top teams in different sections just ensures the same teams stay on top and squeezes out marginal teams who maybe don't carry a full lineup or have a lot of coaching turnover and just keep coming up short because of that.[/QUOTE

Your point is spot on. The AIA is concerned with all programs, not just the top schools, so there has to be a balance. In D1, in the “West” section there is Liberty, Boulder Creek, Kofa, and Cibola. Each of those teams finished in the top 10 on average for the past 5 years. Trying to build a program in that section would be very difficult. If one of those schools is moved, then an up and coming program has a much better chance of getting a kid to qualify for state and build some program momentum. One of the significant issues is the lack of strength in the Phoenix Union schools, with the exception of Cesar Chavez where Coach Rubio has done a great job. The middle schools in Phoenix do not have wrestling programs, so most of their kids have never seen a wrestling match before high school. The 4 Tolleson schools are in the same situation. While Chavez has attracted a handful of kids who wrestled for strong clubs for years, nearly every other Phoenix Union and Tolleson kid is a beginner. Although geographically sound and good for those beginning kids, placing those 12 schools in a section would raise numerous questions and concerns. As I understand it, the wrestling committee’s goal was to try and keep the sections fairly balanced so that the less powerful schools are not completely locked out from opportunities, which would occur if 4-5 powerhouse schools were in the same section.

FamousLie

Sometimes that happens anyway though. If the PUHSD schools were grouped together obviously Chavez would be the kind of that hill for a while, but other schools like Fairfax or South Mountain would have that to aspire towards and not get chewed up by another top squad and make it a two horse race every year at sectionals. I think that somebody would have to step up and challenge Chavez in that scenario and it would be a matter of district pride. I like the idea of seeing the other Phoenix Union schools using that as a reason to improve, rather than getting beaten up by some school not in their district like Liberty or one of the Mesa schools or something.

Laveen

I agree. I would be great to see Maryvale return to its former glory and watch Carl Hayden put together a full team of athletes, which could happen. But then the other sections would be very tough with each looking like the West last year. Look at the list of schools Azallstars put together and divide those schools into 3 sections. The protest from any other school put into such a section would be loud and constant. Realistically, that is not going to happen anytime soon. The concept of trying to split the powerhouse programs so that each section has no more than 3 such schools does give the remaining schools some room to build. Admittedly, there is no great solution. Until the Phx middle schools start wrestling, we will get more of the same. To be clear, there are some great wrestlers who live in PHX, but many go to schools outside PUHSD that have strong wrestling programs.