Sectionals

wjd

Keep those of us who couldn't make it out, posted on any news. After all the pre tourney discussion in other threads, I see that Holmes isn't entered for Chandler and Jarman is missing from the Mesa lineup. Any news on what happened with those two? I'm sure there's more. Looking at the lineups on track wrestling, its pretty sad. Only a quarter of the teams field a full lineup, while 15 have less than 10 wrestlers entered.

Last edited:

Coach Pat

I agree that it's unfortunate that a lot of teams aren't fielding full lineups but I also think we have to remember a couple things.
1. Our kids are getting a lot of matches (which is a good thing) but that is also more opportunity to get beat up and injured. I know in our case it was some late injuries and I wasn't willing to throw a young, inexperienced kid to the wolves and watch his passion for wrestle disintegrate as he gets destroyed.
2. The time of the year that AIA has sectionals and state isn't very conducive to grades and progress and eligibility. Again, for us, if I have a kid ineligible at the semester, he's done for the rest of the year. If sectionals were simply a week or two later, like they are in many other states, our kids would be able to get eligible again and I know we're not the only district in that boat.
3. I think lastly we need to do a better job, especially in southern Arizona, of promoting both JV and freshman wrestling. It's rediculous that JV kids can't get medals at tournaments and I think we tend to get so focused on varsity that we forget there all these guys just waiting to be in the lineup and they eventually fade away so that when we do have an injury or ineligibility, there's no one to take their place. In SoAz we end doing this round robin crap for our JV that they don't ever get to lineup and wrestle a dual like the varsity. And forget about freshmen. They're simply JV. I wish we had a more clear distinction between freshmen and JV and gave them a more real wrestling experience in competition

TUMBLEWEED

I agree that it's unfortunate that a lot of teams aren't fielding full lineups but I also think we have to remember a couple things.
1. Our kids are getting a lot of matches (which is a good thing) but that is also more opportunity to get beat up and injured. I know in our case it was some late injuries and I wasn't willing to throw a young, inexperienced kid to the wolves and watch his passion for wrestle disintegrate as he gets destroyed.
2. The time of the year that AIA has sectionals and state isn't very conducive to grades and progress and eligibility. Again, for us, if I have a kid ineligible at the semester, he's done for the rest of the year. If sectionals were simply a week or two later, like they are in many other states, our kids would be able to get eligible again and I know we're not the only district in that boat.
3. I think lastly we need to do a better job, especially in southern Arizona, of promoting both JV and freshman wrestling. It's rediculous that JV kids can't get medals at tournaments and I think we tend to get so focused on varsity that we forget there all these guys just waiting to be in the lineup and they eventually fade away so that when we do have an injury or ineligibility, there's no one to take their place. In SoAz we end doing this round robin crap for our JV that they don't ever get to lineup and wrestle a dual like the varsity. And forget about freshmen. They're simply JV. I wish we had a more clear distinction between freshmen and JV and gave them a more real wrestling experience in competition

Cougar,
The only thing I agree with on your post is it is to bad numbers are down.

The rest.... I have to disagree with.

#1. The more matches the better. Preferably against top notch competition. Or as you like to call them "wolves" (no connection to Chandler LOL)
your kids will never get better unless they take those bumps, bruises, injuries and get their butts kicked by the better wrestler. In this sport, I t's called experience

#2.
To imply that the AIA should cater to athletics over academics is just wrong.
In my 30years experience very rarely do you see a dedicated wrestler fall behind in the classroom.
Are we trying to promote student athletes or athletic students?
preparation is key to the sport and that begins in the classroom.

#3. The numbers are what they are. If there was an overwhelming number of students in each and every wrestling room I'm sure we would have JV and or freshman teams. From what I have seen this is a state wide, if not a national issue, not just to be blamed on southern Arizona.

if the kids who can't crack the lineup REALLY want a medal maybe they should roll in the freestyle season. They give medals away at a lot of those tournaments because there is less wrestlers then placing spots.
Maybe if some more of the schools north of Phoenix (northern az) started bringing their kids down to the freestyle tournaments instead of running their own hodgepodge weekend tournaments the state as a whole would increase their numbers, their own kids would get better national recognition, and the states competition level would go up.
They would also likely gain the experience they need to crack the varsity spot next year.

On the closing note,
It is my opinion that the AIA is ran by a bunch of jokes who have no interest in promoting our sport.
The one or two people sitting on their board that do respect our sport are so overpowered by numbers they don't have a leg to stand on.
Just like you cannot leave it up to a referee during any specific match, do not leave it up to these clowns to determine the fate of your wrestlers future. Educate yourself on NCAA requirements, and attend as many off-season tournaments as you can.

Mike Jarman

Keep those of us who couldn't make it out, posted on any news. After all the pre tourney discussion in other threads, I see that Holmes isn't entered for Chandler and Jarman is missing from the Mesa lineup. Any news on what happened with those two? I'm sure there's more. Looking at the lineups on track wrestling, its pretty sad. Only a quarter of the teams field a full lineup, while 15 have less than 10 wrestlers entered.

Steven Jarman from Mesa didn't make weight. Because his teammate Isaac Santilian was at 122, he volunteered to drop to 115. It was just to much weight in the end. He made it a few times but just barely and he has been growing. He is very disappointed that he wasn't able to wrestle. Look for him at 126 or 132 next year.

donrcovert

#1. The more matches the better. Preferably against top notch competition. Or as you like to call them "wolves" (no connection to Chandler LOL)
your kids will never get better unless they take those bumps, bruises, injuries and get their butts kicked by the better wrestler. In this sport, I t's called experience
Here is a quote from Jason Skoda article in east valley tribune. “Every time he walks off the mat, he get gets better,” Johnson said. “If he loses to someone, he usually comes back and beats them the next time. He keeps getting better and fast. We kind of threw him to the wolves last year, and now he is better for it.”

Coach Pat

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I don't disagree that more matches are good. I think it's great. I remember walking into the state tournament with 30 matches. All I'm saying is that more matches means more injuries. It's just a fact of being on the mat more. It's obviously not a guarantee. I also don't think athletics should take predecence over athletics at all. Quite the contrary. All I'm saying is that there is no standard for eligibility for the state of AZ and when a good number of schools do eligibility at 5-6 weeks, it means a kid who is ineleigible at the semester is done. Football and baseball have an opportunity to get eligible on several occasions. And I am certainly not saying we need to hand out medals but in my opinion we need to treat wrestling more like other sports in the sense that we need to line up a freshman team against a freshman team, JV vs JV etc. I know Phoenix does a good job of this. I do think it's ridiculous we can't give out medals at JV tournaments

MingusCoach

Staff member
I have read the complaints about the AIA and the remarks about Northern Arizona’s hodgepodge weekend Tournaments. There are over 250 Clubs and over 450 Coaches that realized that hiding in the side lines shouting, ranting and raving isn’t the solution but part of the problem. They now get together at Weekend Wars up north providing thousands of wrestlers with opportunities of mat time, clinics, and personal growth every year. Most of them reach their personal goal of 100 matches in the off-season. They also utilize these tournaments to help them prepare for national competition.

Attending every year are numerous state champions from Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado. These out of state teams come every year because they have the same challenges in their own states. The quality of Arizona Wrestling has gone up and part of it is due to the ongoing efforts of those coaches willing to put in the work in the off season and drive up North to volunteer their services. Everything for the last 11 years has been free of charge.

Weekend Wars had it’s humble beginnings 11 years ago and is now huge with lots of wrestlers exhibiting varying levels of expertise seeking to match their skills against those who have worked hard all month to test their newly acquired techniques.

Those new to our brotherhood have been excited and astonished by the quality and quantity of matches that their kids were able to obtain with most averaging between 10 and 15 matches.

Camp Verde’s Weekend Wars continue to have success. We have officially serviced over 20,000 wrestlers from schools, teams and clubs from all over Arizona and also out of state. The attendance numbers have risen every year. With the increase in numbers, the quality levels have also risen. The event has led to matches equal or tougher than those at the state level. This past year's Weekend’s Wars tournaments was a great success, presenting many opportunities for kids to test their skills. Unbelievable! Is the best way to describe several matches. With champion-like qualities of courage, fortitude, determination, tenacity and perseverance, many wrestlers are proving that if you dedicate yourself and work hard, you will succeed.

Once again thanks to the many Arizona Coaches who attend Weekend Wars and constantly strive to provide competitive opportunities for all levels of wrestlers that are reasonably challenging, while still giving them the chance to succeed and grow to reach their full potential. In addition these coaches have an unwavering focus on development of their athletes, by providing them the support they need as they strive to become better wrestlers and human beings.

We all reap the benefits from being a part of this great wrestling Weekend Wars Community. Our numbers, our talent, and dedication have us well positioned to make this the best wrestling mat time program top to bottom that Arizona has ever seen. All are welcome and I encourage all of you to find your place, to use your energy and talents to continue to make this program great.

Last edited:

bayoubadger

I have read the complaints about the AIA and the remarks about Northern Arizona’s hodgepodge weekend Tournaments. There are over 250 Clubs and over 450 Coaches that realized that hiding in the side lines shouting, ranting and raving isn’t the solution but part of the problem. They now get together at Weekend Wars up north providing thousands of wrestlers with opportunities of mat time, clinics, and personal growth every year. Most of them reach their personal goal of 100 matches in the off-season. They also utilize these tournaments to help them prepare for national competition.

Attending every year are numerous state champions from Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado. These out of state teams come every year because they have the same challenges in their own states. The quality of Arizona Wrestling has gone up and part of it is due to the ongoing efforts of those coaches willing to put in the work in the off season and drive up North to volunteer their services. Everything for the last 11 years has been free of charge.

Weekend Wars had it’s humble beginnings 11 years ago and is now huge with lots of wrestlers exhibiting varying levels of expertise seeking to match their skills against those who have worked hard all month to test their newly acquired techniques.

Those new to our brotherhood have been excited and astonished by the quality and quantity of matches that their kids were able to obtain with most averaging between 10 and 15 matches.

Camp Verde’s Weekend Wars continue to have success. We have officially serviced over 20,000 wrestlers from schools, teams and clubs from all over Arizona and also out of state. The attendance numbers have risen every year. With the increase in numbers, the quality levels have also risen. The event has led to matches equal or tougher than those at the state level. This past weekend’s tournament was a great success, presenting many opportunities for kids to test their skills. Unbelievable! Is the best way to describe several matches. With champion-like qualities of courage, fortitude, determination, tenacity and perseverance, many wrestlers are proving that if you dedicate yourself and work hard, you will succeed.

Once again thanks to the many Arizona Coaches who attend Weekend Wars and constantly strive to provide competitive opportunities for all levels of wrestlers that are reasonably challenging, while still giving them the chance to succeed and grow to reach their full potential. In addition these coaches have an unwavering focus on development of their athletes, by providing them the support they need as they strive to become better wrestlers and human beings.

We all reap the benefits from being a part of this great wrestling Weekend Wars Community. Our numbers, our talent, and dedication have us well positioned to make this the best wrestling mat time program top to bottom that Arizona has ever seen. All are welcome and I encourage all of you to find your place, to use your energy and talents to continue to make this program great.
I think what Camp Verde is doing up North is great! Keep up the good work.