State Brackets

bayoubadger

Any idea why they locked the public out of the D1 brackets on trackwrestling? They were open at 11:15 or so, I looked at all of them. Now it says they are not being released to the public yet.

3boys

I am with you bayoubadger....I started printing D2 and only got the 1sr 2 wts...108 and 115..then blanks started printing..least I got my sons wt classes....lucky to get a sneek peek.

bayoubadger

I am with you bayoubadger....I started printing D2 and only got the 1sr 2 wts...108 and 115..then blanks started printing..least I got my sons wt classes....lucky to get a sneek peek.
You can figure them out on your own, but who wants to do that.

donrcovert

I have found that is you first go to the weight class the click each weight the click bracket you do not have the error with nothing showing up on the screen. So far I have had no problems doing this way. But every time i try to use the bracket selection I get the Whoa nothing to see here message.

John

does anyone know how they devised the seeding. the AIA website says it will be one way and when i checked there it is completely different

bayoubadger

does anyone know how they devised the seeding. the AIA website says it will be one way and when i checked there it is completely different
My sons bracket is spot on. I had figured it out beforehand. They try to explain it in the State Tournament handbook but they make it confusing.

Basically the 4 section champs are seeded 1-4. Based on 1. Returning State Champ, 2. Win Percentage, 3. head to head will supersede 1 and 2.

That gives you the section seed. So Champs from Section Seed 1 Wrestle 4th placer from Section seed 4. 2's from 1 wrestle 3's from 4. So on and so forth.

So your only loss on the season could come in the Section Semifinals and you still have the best record in the state. If your Section Champ has the 4th best record of Sectional Champs, you will still be wrestling the number 2 from section seeded 1.

Hope that makes sense.

Coach Pat

I know people have asked before here, but how do some of the wrestling powerhouse states - Penn, Iowa, Cali, NJ, Ohio, etc. - seed their state tournaments?

John

My sons bracket is spot on. I had figured it out beforehand. They try to explain it in the State Tournament handbook but they make it confusing.

Basically the 4 section champs are seeded 1-4. Based on 1. Returning State Champ, 2. Win Percentage, 3. head to head will supersede 1 and 2.

That gives you the section seed. So Champs from Section Seed 1 Wrestle 4th placer from Section seed 4. 2's from 1 wrestle 3's from 4. So on and so forth.

So your only loss on the season could come in the Section Semifinals and you still have the best record in the state. If your Section Champ has the 4th best record of Sectional Champs, you will still be wrestling the number 2 from section seeded 1.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks and it does make sense but unfortunately they didn't do my sons the same and I was curious as to why. Ill give you an example. D1 182 the champ from section 1 mtn view kid has a .95 WP and should be the number 1 seed and he is, but the kid from section 2 cibola has a .81 WP and should be the number 2 seed but is not they put him at the number 3 seed and he doesn't have any head to head with the kid the put in number 2 seed from section 4 from tucson. so the number 1 and 4 seeds are correct but they changed around the number 2 and 3 seed which of course changed all the other placements. Any idea if there is some uniformity or does someone doing the brackets just decide their going to move stuff around??

wjd

The AIA Tournament Guide sited earlier actual lists this as the criteria for state tournament.

State Tournament
Seeding Criteria
The following seeding criteria will be used for all Divisons of the State Wrestling Tournaments.
SectionalChampions will be seeded in the sixteen (16) man State Tournament bracket using the
folowing criteria:
1.The returning previous Arizona State Champion
2.Pre - seeding (Trackwrestling/common opponent) will be determined by each wrestler soverall seasaon
winning percentage (%).
3.Head to Head will supersede criteria 1 & 2 (must be in the top four-4 seeding pool to challenge).

So it sounds like the value Trackwrestling assigns is the criteria that determined this. They must give more weight to the number of matches wrestled/won (44 vs 13 for the two wrestlers in question)

It would be nice to know what that formula actually is, but that'll never happen with the AIA. In other sports they've used MaxPreps, CalPreps and other rankings and no one ever knows what determines those rankings.

bayoubadger

The AIA Tournament Guide sited earlier actual lists this as the criteria for state tournament.

State Tournament
Seeding Criteria
The following seeding criteria will be used for all Divisons of the State Wrestling Tournaments.
SectionalChampions will be seeded in the sixteen (16) man State Tournament bracket using the
folowing criteria:
1.The returning previous Arizona State Champion
2.Pre - seeding (Trackwrestling/common opponent) will be determined by each wrestler soverall seasaon
winning percentage (%).
3.Head to Head will supersede criteria 1 & 2 (must be in the top four-4 seeding pool to challenge).

So it sounds like the value Trackwrestling assigns is the criteria that determined this. They must give more weight to the number of matches wrestled/won (44 vs 13 for the two wrestlers in question)

It would be nice to know what that formula actually is, but that'll never happen with the AIA. In other sports they've used MaxPreps, CalPreps and other rankings and no one ever knows what determines those rankings.

The only other though I had was that the wrestler that had 13 wins did not wrestle any matches at 182 until sectionals. While it does say overall winning percentage, maybe trackwrestling did take that into account with preseeding. I think a coach can only challenge if they are arguing head-to-head should supersede.

bayoubadger

Thanks and it does make sense but unfortunately they didn't do my sons the same and I was curious as to why. Ill give you an example. D1 182 the champ from section 1 mtn view kid has a .95 WP and should be the number 1 seed and he is, but the kid from section 2 cibola has a .81 WP and should be the number 2 seed but is not they put him at the number 3 seed and he doesn't have any head to head with the kid the put in number 2 seed from section 4 from tucson. so the number 1 and 4 seeds are correct but they changed around the number 2 and 3 seed which of course changed all the other placements. Any idea if there is some uniformity or does someone doing the brackets just decide their going to move stuff around??
In actuality, if the seeds were reversed, the only change to first round matchup and bracket placement would be your son and the #2 seed overall. They would be switched. In looking at the bracket, I do not think there is a much different level of difficulty to reach the finals that if your son would have been seeded #2.

acestallion

Well I'm guessing that record against common opponents played a factor and now it can supercede winning %. Again I don't know for sure but I'm guessing this is what happened.

Allazallstars

Yes

Common Opponents comes before winning %.

I think they forgot to put that in the tournament guide for state seeding.

bayoubadger

Yes

Common Opponents comes before winning %.

I think they forgot to put that in the tournament guide for state seeding.
Since the one kid only had 16 matches it is easy enough to check common opponents. The only common opponent I could find was the kid from Sandra Day O'Connor. The 3 seed beat him, the 2 seed lost to him. Obviously there is something else in play. That is the problem of relying on the trackwrestling pre-seeding we don't really know what they use.

East Valley

I know it hurts if the matches aren't put in right as well. Trackwrestling has my son ranked 3rd (NAIA) in his region but he beat the 2nd ranked kid. Maybe that will change when the brackets are formed? Good luck to all at State!!