8 ZUMBROTA (MN)

5 DAKOTA (IL)
4 FARMINGTON (MN)

3 PARK HILL (MO)
6 HERMOSTON (OR)

7 RIO RANCHO (NM)
2 STMA (MN)

devilfan

What are the odds? You travel 2000 miles to a tournament and Mt. View and Ironwood Ridge end up wrestling each other this morning. I believe both finished 6th out of 8th in their respective pools yesterday, so I'm assuming todays format creates new pools based on yesterdays placing.

Close rematch. IR bumped a lot of wrestlers up a weight and it almost paid off. The 138 match could have been the turning point. On track wrestling it looked like IR was up 1 in the third and then had an injury DQ. I don't know if the score changed before that or what the injury was.

Match Summary IR MMV
285 Michael Dallas (Mesa Mountain View) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 0 6.00
106 Bowen Doolen (Mesa Mountain View) over Payton Billings (Ironwood Ridge) Fall 3:09 0 6.00
113 Danny Vega (Ironwood Ridge) over Cyler Rustad (Mesa Mountain View) TF 16-1 5.00 0
120 Marcus Castillo (Ironwood Ridge) over Rylan Evans (Mesa Mountain View) TF 18-2 5.00 0
126 Patrick Klass (Ironwood Ridge) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 6.00 0
132 Josiah Kline (Ironwood Ridge) over Paden Mason (Mesa Mountain View) Dec 3-1 3.00 0
138 Kade Williams (Mesa Mountain View) over Alfredo Calzadillas (Ironwood Ridge) Inj 4:07 0 6.00
145 Jerod Booth (Mesa Mountain View) over Kyle Taylor (Ironwood Ridge) SV-1 3-1 0 3.00
152 Anthony Wokasch (Mesa Mountain View) over Andy Winkel (Ironwood Ridge) Fall 0:36 0 6.00
160 Marco Dominguez (Ironwood Ridge) over Benjamin Peters (Mesa Mountain View) Maj 15-2 4.00 0
170 Kyle Goff (Mesa Mountain View) over Ben Lind (Ironwood Ridge) Dec 9-4 0 3.00
182 Jeremy Berson (Ironwood Ridge) over Brock Doolen (Mesa Mountain View) Maj 10-2 4.00 0
195 Jacob Mansman (Ironwood Ridge) over Mikane Faraoni (Mesa Mountain View) Dec 7-0 3.00 0
220 William Jordan (Mesa Mountain View) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 0 6.00
Dual Meet Score 30.0 36.0

East Valley

Yes Mtn View & IR facing each other again was crazy. Actually being there gives you a whole different perspective. That tournament was tough! Even the small schools were loaded & brought multiple back ups. Ironwood Ridge & Mtn View battled! I give those boys serious props. IR battled giving up 18 points each dual. They fought hard. You can see why teams don't travel out of state. The out of state losses hurt your seeding with the AIA but I think the boys grow so much. There are kids that will battle to win state with 6 & 7 (Out of state) losses.

Cudos to Danny Vega & Anthony Wokasch for going undefeated! (I'm not aware if any others did)

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
I give props to the teams in Division I and Division II for going out and looking for out of state competition and also for fundraising. Its sucks the AIA seeding committee for state does not look at the overall strength of schedule of a wrestler/team, Instead they only look at the losses which eventually hurt wrestlers seeding at STATE. Some of these Championship/place matches are against national caliber kids and other studs from different states.

Mesa Mt. View -Reno and Clash
Ironwood Ridge to Reno, Las Cruces Invitational and Clash
Sunnyside- Las Vegas (Green Valley)
Chandler- Temecula 'Battle for the Belt"
Basha- Las Vegas Holiday Classic
Seton Catholic- Beast of the East and Doc Buchanan Invitational (CA)
Liberty- Las Vegas Holiday Classic
Red Mountain- Las Vegas Holiday Classic
Queen Creek- Las Vegas Holiday Classic
Desert Vista- Tournament of Champions (Cerritos, CA)

This is WHY you see these teams in the top 10 at STATE every year. They don't pad their record with a bunch of bogus wins.

East Valley

Thanks for posting! That is good to see. I know Cibola also went to Reno & Tempe HS went to the other Reno tournament. Props to all of those teams for getting better & helping our state grow nationally!

East Valley

They just posted this Clash video. It has a portion with Mtn View. Any AZ publicity is good!

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/3340937-featured-game-the-clash-rochester-wrestling-tournament/#.Vop_dRXoyiM.twitter

Go47

Thank you to Mountain View and Ironwood Ridge for accepting our invitation and doing what it takes to make the trip to The Clash. Both teams represented Arizona well. We look forward to putting together next year's field of 32. If you ever wish to share any information with us about what is going on with AZ high school teams please send us a message at http://www.clashmn.com/contact/, on Twitter or Facebook.

East Valley

I agree. It's not the kids fault. They can only wrestle those on the schedule. It's a pain to fundraise but worth it. The out of state tournaments humble you but also help you realize there is a higher level that can be achieved.

I also understand why it's tempting to be a big fish in a small pond. I remember watching Mingus win Flowing Wells. Their boys came in with 5 or 6 (Out of state) losses & a lot became state champs. The out of state competition I believe really made the difference. It's the old debate easy schedule keep guys fresh or out of state & battle tested.

CVCougar

That all sounds great, but it isn't as easy as it sounds. We already have to fund raise to pay for our tournaments, travel, uniforms, etc. I have most of my team that cannot even pay the $125 pay to play so we fund raise so they can be allowed to wrestle. It is worth while for teams like MMV to go out of state because most of their team will compete, even if they don't place. Most of the other teams in this state would only have 2 or 3 guys that would compete and the other 12 would watch from the stands after 2 matches. Small-poor schools have to look at tournaments that give them the most bang for the buck. Those 2 or 3 elite guys get their quality competition in the off season and in the semis and finals of in-state tournaments. It's not about dodging teams, it's about affordability. You can say all you want about how easy it is to fund raise, but the kids and parents have to be willing to help. It doesn't all fall on a coach.

East Valley

As far as fundraising It's not easy! Like you said people all have to be on board. Every situation is different. Everyone appreciates what the coaches, parents & volunteers do for our sport in all the schools (Big & small) that need support. That's what makes this such a great community to be a part of. Keep doing what you are doing Coach! Your effort is appreciated!

I would never blame anyone for not going out of state for competition. There are many reasons why & why not. I do however think that if the AIA took out of state matches & the strength of schedule into consideration then maybe more teams would be motivated to go? Who knows?