Tucson (Prescott) state This weekend

jfingd

Staff member
Any sleepers? Lots of club kids last weekend did really well--are any of them on a school team, that will be in Prescott this weekend?

On TrackWrestling, there are 61 school teams on the list.

Valiant is on there as well, but they are also on the charter school state championships the same weekend as well.

Let's talk about it!! Any insights?

Eloy, Somerton and Casteel all finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd, respectively--and all three will be in Prescott this weekend.

Will the absence of any club kids make the final placement any different?

BKramer

Just to keep folks in the loop, we may end up losing a team or two from the 61 - still waiting to see if Payson and a few others are sending any of their kiddos. We lost Challenger but they were only going to bring a couple of kids anyway.

Right now we have about 575 kids registered - still waiting on about 5 school entries. My guess is we will end up when all is said and done with about 525 (maybe 550) in the tournament.

I think the biggest question will be Show Low - they didn't send many to Tempe, unlike past years, so it is hard to know how stacked they are this year but they are always in the hunt. A couple of the Gilbert schools are also on the upswing so we will see how they fare.

Many of the Tempe placers are in the tournament, but others are not. 88, 11, 118, 133, 180, and 245 all look tough. Should be fun!

jfingd

Staff member
Show Low had exactly one kid in Tempe. The did bring a lot of tough kids down to the USA Folkstyle tournament at ASU last weekend though--should be fun to see how they fare.

Eloy and Somerton have a lot of good kids though.

jfingd

Staff member
A lot of highland kids seeded. That looks promising. 154 you have Arrellin from Stafford seeded 3rd and Castillo from Morenci seeded 4th, but track shows Castillo pinned Arrellin at the San Manuel tournament at 167.

Last edited:

BKramer

Any comments, good or bad, on the tournament? Always looking for constructive criticism on what we could do better!

jfingd

Staff member
Smooth. The cost was a little extreme because of the venue...(me $15, my wife $15 and two kids $10/each x 2 days, cost $100 total just to get in). But that's not your fault, I guess.

No other complaints though. Nice work.

I’d recommend looking for another school or location in Tucson.

Catalina Foothills, Mt. View or the TCC are big enough to host.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on adding the 200 lbs weight class?

Majority of the tournaments during the season and Tempe state has the 200 lbs weight class. I think that would be a great addition to your tournament.

BKramer

Yes, I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that as well - thanks for bringing it up Richard. Ric and I have debated adding it for a couple of years and we always come back to the concern that adding it will water down both weight classes, cannibalizing the heavyweight division. We looked at the actual weights from the weigh-in sheets a couple of years ago and about 60% were over 200...but then again, we didn't have the 200 weight so maybe there were 200 lb kids who didn't wrestle at heavyweight because their teammate beat them. So it was kind of inconclusive.

We also try to balance things across the state and big school vs. little school in terms of giving every school a fair shot - fielding 17 weights for some smaller schools is awfully tough.

But hey - we are definitely open to considering it so please post your thoughts! You know, we tried 68 one year and it didn't work out so perhaps we ought to give the 200 lb weight a whirl and see what happens?

As to the venue, man we have looked at most places - MView won't have us due to too many kids close to campus as well as parking; never even attempted Cat Foot because I can't imagine their Admin agreeing to block the gym from Thurs-Sat (but if someone has an "in" there, let us know); and TCC was terribly expensive and we butt right up to Gem Show activities. Even pursued the McKale Center option but didn't get far. We would be interested in Phoenix but we don't really know of a facility that will work with us. Prescott was AMAZING to work with - so helpful and the price point was just within our reach. Any ideas for other facilities, please post or contact us - we will consider and pursue any reasonable option.

Thanks for the feedback - always good to hear people's opinions and perspectives.

Blake Jones

Yes, I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that as well - thanks for bringing it up Richard. Ric and I have debated adding it for a couple of years and we always come back to the concern that adding it will water down both weight classes, cannibalizing the heavyweight division. We looked at the actual weights from the weigh-in sheets a couple of years ago and about 60% were over 200...but then again, we didn't have the 200 weight so maybe there were 200 lb kids who didn't wrestle at heavyweight because their teammate beat them. So it was kind of inconclusive.

We also try to balance things across the state and big school vs. little school in terms of giving every school a fair shot - fielding 17 weights for some smaller schools is awfully tough.

But hey - we are definitely open to considering it so please post your thoughts! You know, we tried 68 one year and it didn't work out so perhaps we ought to give the 200 lb weight a whirl and see what happens?

As to the venue, man we have looked at most places - MView won't have us due to too many kids close to campus as well as parking; never even attempted Cat Foot because I can't imagine their Admin agreeing to block the gym from Thurs-Sat (but if someone has an "in" there, let us know); and TCC was terribly expensive and we butt right up to Gem Show activities. Even pursued the McKale Center option but didn't get far. We would be interested in Phoenix but we don't really know of a facility that will work with us. Prescott was AMAZING to work with - so helpful and the price point was just within our reach. Any ideas for other facilities, please post or contact us - we will consider and pursue any reasonable option.

Thanks for the feedback - always good to hear people's opinions and perspectives.

As for the weight class of 200lbs, it may be the right thing to do, however, if you look at the Tempe State there were very few wrestlers at 200. So it may not yield the results people are talking about.

There things missed this year:

1. No warm up mats
2. No Trainers, ice, tape etc.
3. No screen post for up coming matches.

However, the venue itself was perfect.

BKramer

You sure are right about those things we missed - thanks for pointing them out. We do plan to correct all three of those next year. I particularly felt bad about not having a trainer there with tape and supplies like we have had in the past - I dropped the ball on that one and didn't follow up like I should have.

We also spoke with the GM about using the big screens next year :) Plenty of room for a warm-up mat so we will take care of that also.

Thanks again - all things we can improve upon next year!

Brett