Weekend Wars 2017

MingusCoach

Staff member
Many coaches are already calling about this year’s Weekend Wars dates so they can schedule them in to their calendars. These are the 2017 dates : March 18th, April 1st, 15th & 29th, May 13th & 27th, June 10th & 24th, July 8th & 22nd, August 5th & 19th, September 2nd & 16th

MingusCoach

Staff member
Many coaches are already calling about this year’s Weekend Wars dates so they can schedule them in to their calendars. These are the 2017 dates : March 18th, April 1st, 15th & 29th, May 13th & 27th, June 10th & 24th, July 8th & 22nd, August 5th & 19th, September 2nd & 16th

What benefit is there for kids to drive up to Camp Verde? This is the place for quality mat time during the off season. Weekend Wars attracts many serious contenders from throughout Arizona and from out of state. Anybody that’s a serious wrestler practices and participates in off-season mat-time as preparation for the Winter season. Each wrestler who attends is given the opportunity to wrestle up to ten matches. This is a big draw for other teams statewide, as well as teams from out of state, who face the same dilemma, which is the lack of wrestling competition. Nonstop grappling takes place on seven mats and by the end of the day there is an abundance of mat burns, a few bloody noses, but a wealth of wrestling experience for each athlete that makes the trip to Camp Verde.

Many kids perform hours of practice throughout the week in preparation to attend New Breeds, “Weekend Wars” tournaments. Their reward is to do battle with another dedicated young champion, pushing each other to even greater heights. Kids that wish to move up another level in their wrestling skills, can ask any coach for technical advice. I guarantee before the day is over, if you wrestled against the best, they will have helped you expose the weaknesses you must work on. Many coaches and parents come together to create a motivational environment most conducive to the wrestlers success. We measure and motivate them; and so they leave here highly inspired with an attitude to excel.

Wrestlers who do not participate in our Weekend Wars, lose valuable mat time, opportunities for receiving critical technical advice, and miss out coming together with individuals from various styles of wrestling quality levels. All of this free of charge! All we want is mat time for all kids. I highly recommend it to anyone that wishes to move up another level in their wrestling skills. Weigh-in starts at 7:00AM. Folkstyle Wrestling starts at 8:00 AM (three one minute periods) and usually finishes by noon. We would like parents and coaches to ensure that all your kids sign a waiver (see attached). You must bring a waiver every week. For those of you who have been asking how they can help support these weekend wars, I could really use help with refereeing and a case of water bottles. Once again thanks to all the Coaches and Parents who support this function. Many kids thanked us for putting on Weekend Wars for them. Many kids are benefiting from all our collaborative efforts as a brotherhood.

Wrestlers- Three one minute periods of Folkstyle competition. Kindergarten thru high school. Tons of kids show up in every weight class. No lifting in the air. All wrestlers should bring their own white athletic tape and wrestling shoes. (singlet’s and head gear are optional) You must sign the attached release form. Weigh-ins start at 7:00 AM and wrestling commences at 8:00 AM. Please don’t be late as this only holds up everything.

Just a reminder, please have your wrestlers bring their own, white tape, nose plugs, band aids and med kit. I cannot afford to supply all of Arizona's medical needs. Contrary to rumors circulating. I did not receive a "Stimulus" package from Obama.

If you are using Map Quest, use 321 W Apache Trail, Camp Verde AZ 86322 as your destination.

Thank you Coach Chagolla

Attachments

• Camp Verde Weekend Wars Release.doc
    58 KB · Views: 101

MingusCoach

Staff member
I can't believe how many requests I have already had inquiring about dates for weekend wars. Looks like this years attendance will be extremely high. Even the elementary weight inquiries are up. Can't wait for March 18th.

If you attend every Weekend Wars, you should easily exceed over 100 matches in the off-season. With those kind of numbers it is inevitable that you will improve.

Arizona is on its way up. Congratulations to one and all. In 2017 I look forward to watching Arizona Wrestling’s quality level rise and advance to a position of excellence. With so many dedicated Coaches, parents and teams, I am confident that those participating in off-season Weekend Wars will again improve in leaps and bounds finding themselves at the top of the State podium.

Thank you
Coach Chagolla

Just a reminder that weekend wars is on for this weekend.
Coach do you guys do weight and age divisions. We are interested in coming from the little town of Blythe Ca down the river from Parker AZ. We have no youth program locally so we train in Parker and this would be a great way for us to get mat time for my 12 yr old son who is 7th grade and 90 lbs...thank you.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Glad to hear of your interest. You can wrestle whomever you choose. You can be selective and choose kids that best match your kids age and quality levels. Come on up and see for yourself. I'm sure your kid will have a positive experience.

Last edited:
Glad to hear of your interest. You can wrestler whomever you choose. You can be selective and choose kids that best match your kids age and quality levels. Come on up and see for yourself. I'm sure your kid will have a positive experience.
Had a great experience on 3-18-17 @ Camp Verde Weekend Wars. My son got great quality mat time and we were able to get 15 matches in by 1030. Man was he worked. We didn't go for the wins and losses we went for the mat time and experience. Lots of talent was there at Weekend Wars . We left there with an insight as to some of our weaknesses as well as our strengths. You cannot get better in off season if you don't wrestle. Got plenty of wrestling at Camp Verde and more to come in future dates... highly recommend this place if you want to stay grinding while others sit idle and wish they were wtestling somewhere. Even the coaches around the mats were helping to educate the athletes on certain aspects of their game...... Thank you coach we will be back in a month. Worth the drive from California.
James Callaghan.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Thank you for the kind words my brother. We are so happy that your boy had a positive experience. We cannot thank you enough for traveling such a great distance to provide your kid as well as ours with quality mat time.

It goes without saying that those competitors who compete against quality wrestlers in the off-season, will prevail in the winter season. Life is a series of choices that lead to your destiny. Remember that you are in the driver’s seat in your journey. Make the right choices and life can be rewarding.

If you are looking for great competition then this is where you want to be. I encourage those of you that have not yet joined in on the fun at Weekend Wars, to please come and see for yourself what the excitement is all about.

I would like to thank all the Coaches for their contributions to Weekend Wars. We appreciate your invaluable support in helping us develop Weekend Wars into one of the best Off-season quality Mat time programs around.

We could never have achieved so much without coaches like yourselves. It is through your kindness and desire to help kids in the community that truly impresses me. I am truly touched by your generosity, your spirit, and willingness to go out of your way to help kids. You are a real Mentor. I am indeed lucky to have a friend like you in my life. Thank you again for being so thoughtful in your support.

Just a reminder that April 1st, is the next Weekend Wars. See you all there.

Thanks
Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
Mr.James Callaghan, Please tell others from California about our Weekend Wars. They are all welcomed to come. If they need a place to stay, arrangements can be made to help them. All they need to do is contact me at coachchagolla@hotmail.com

Many thanks
Coach Chagolla

Coach I posted our conversations and your thread about Weekend Wars on Facebook in a public group with 41k members it is called Wrestlers Only!!! If you do Facebook friend request me and I'll get you linked in . Lots going on in this public group. My fb is as follows
James N Nikkie Callaghan
Anyhow I hope this helps and here is my email
Forddriver.jc@gmail.com
760 668 5233
I will also personally spread by word of mouth what a great thing you got going on up there at Weekend Wars. Thank you for your love of the sport and your willingness to help ALL kids get better at this great sport .
James Callaghan

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just a reminder, WEEKEND WARS on for this Saturday. Come on up and join in on the fun. Everybody welcome.

MingusCoach

Staff member
It was a great showing today. Most kids averaged 12 matches. You can’t beat that for free. It goes without saying that those competitors who compete against quality wrestlers in the off-season, will prevail in the winter season. Life is a series of choices that lead to your destiny. Remember that you are in the driver’s seat in your journey. Make the right choices and life can be rewarding.

If you are looking for great competition then this is where you want to be April 15th. I encourage those of you that have not yet joined in on the fun at Weekend Wars, to please come and see for yourself what the excitement is all about.
Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
In attendance were club teams from Prescott, Tempe, Sunkist, Peoria, Desert Ridge, Bagdad, Flagstaff, Page, Grapplers, Coconino, Holbrook, Basha, Olympus, Mingus, AZ Champs, Mountain View, Perry, Ironwood, Goodyear, Liberty, Pinnacle, Chino Valley, Bradshaw, Mountain Ridge, Tuma Catholic, Dysart, Gilbert, Chandler, San Tan Valley, Queen Creek, Sunrise Mountain, Phoenix, Mesa, Elmirage, Carl Hayden, Granite Mountain, West-View, Cactus, Desert Edge, Buckeye, and Higley.

MingusCoach

Staff member
Very Good. When it comes to Weekend Wars atmosphere, our goal is to create the best experience for the kids. They are matched up to someone of equal caliber by the coaches or parents for an overall positive experience. Most of the kids averaged 10 or more matches. Many parents have commented on how pleased they are with the days activities.

Here is one comment emailed to me; "Thank you for having us today , my son wrestled a total of 10 matches today with kids of various ages and various wrestling knowledge. He is a tall slim 7 year old who weighs 66 lbs which is not very common for that age so usually he wrestles from 8-10 year old 70lbs weight brackets at other tournaments we've been attending. Usually I'm all for that and explain how wrestling older and bigger will make him better and he is getting way better, but he is also getting discouraged cause of the losses he is taking when his first two years he was unstoppable for his age. Today he got to wrestle from younger and lighter with equal knowledge to older and heavier with better knowledge he got try moves we've been practicing and wanting to try and he learned so much. We got home and it is still all he's been taking about, so we wanted to say thank you and we will see you and more weekend wars."

MingusCoach

Staff member
This is some more feedback. So I invite anyone who has not made it up here to come see what it is all about.

"Thanks again for opening your wrestling room for clinics and wrestling to
all of us. My wrestlers have benefited greatly from this. It is great to
see a program that really cares about the youth. The parents of our
wrestlers were really impressed with the program you put on, and have
stepped up to volunteer their help for our own program.

Let us know what we can do to help because we are committed to this sport
and the youth who compete in it. Half of my wrestlers would be flunking, or
in juvee if it were not for wrestling. I think some people just don't
understand the sport or the benefits that it brings to kids. Keep up the
good work, and good luck with the program.
Thanks again-"

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just a reminder that this Saturday April 15th is Weekend Wars.

Camp Verde’s Weekend Wars continue to have success. We have officially serviced over 20,000 wrestlers from schools, teams and clubs from all over Arizona and also out of state. The attendance numbers have risen every year. With the increase in numbers, the quality levels have also risen. The event has led to matches equal or tougher than those at the state level. This past weekend’s tournament was a great success, presenting many opportunities for kids to test their skills. Unbelievable! Is the best way to describe several matches. I still can’t stop thinking about it the following week. With champion-like qualities of courage, fortitude, determination, tenacity and perseverance, many wrestlers are proving that if you dedicate yourself and work hard, you will succeed.

Many new coaches/organizations are joining in on the fun. This is absolutely outstanding. Needless to say, Arizona is on its way up. Congratulations to one and all. In 2018 I look forward to watching Arizona Wrestling’s quality level rise and advance to a position of excellence. With so many dedicated Coaches, parents and teams, I am confident that those participating in off-season Weekend Wars will again improve in leaps and bounds finding themselves at the top of the State podium.

Everything is free. All we want is mat time for all kids. I highly recommend it to anyone that wishes to move up another level in their wrestling skills. Weigh-in starts at 7:00AM. Folkstyle Wrestling starts at 8:00 AM (three one minute periods) and usually finishes by noon. We would like parents and coaches to either ensure that all your kids sign a waiver. Please bring a copy every week. For those of you who have been asking how they can help support these weekend wars, I could really use help with refereeing and a case of water bottles. Once again thanks to all the Coaches and Parents who support this function. Many kids thanked us for putting on Weekend Wars for them. Many kids are benefiting from all our collaborative efforts as a brotherhood.

Wrestlers- Three one minute periods of Folkstyle competition. Kindergarten thru high school. Tons of kids show up in every weight class. No lifting in the air. All wrestlers should bring their own white athletic tape and wrestling shoes. (singlet’s and head gear are optional)

If you are using Map Quest, use 321 W Apache Trail, Camp Verde AZ 86322 as your destination.

Thank you
Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
“Weekend Wars” attendance this Saturday April 15th was huge with lots of wrestlers exhibiting varying levels of expertise seeking to match their skills against those who have worked hard all month to test their newly acquired techniques.

Those new to our brotherhood were excited and astonished by the quality and quantity of matches that their kids were able to obtain with most averaging between 10 and 15 matches. “UNBELIEVABLE” was the phrase mostly used by Coaches and parents.

If you are looking for great competition then this is where you want to be April 29th. All are welcomed. So come on up and join in on the fun.
Coach Chagolla

Last edited:

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just a reminder that Weekend Wars is on for this Saturday April 29th.

It is amazing to see everyone that attends and the new friends we meet every other weekend. It’s a great honor that we gather together as colleagues, witnessing wrestlers of the past who now carry on the torch and are coaching and mentoring the youth in their communities. The room is full of souls with passion for the sport providing technical advice and placing hope in the hands of our children.

If you have not been here, I invite you to come join in on the fun. I guarantee you at least five matches. Everyone that is hungry has been averaging between 12 and 15 matches.

Thank you

Coach Chagolla

MingusCoach

Staff member
Just received this from a parent: “Thank you for holding this event every other weekend. It has been a great opportunity for my son to continue to improve his wrestling skills and get matches in. It is incredible to witness all the coaches and parents mentoring these kids.”