Who is going where? College Talk now that High School Season is over

Discussion in 'Wrestling Talk - HS' started by chingon76, Feb 12, 2018.

1. chingon76

chingon76 Active Member

We all know RBY is off to Penn State. I just read that Danny Vega is back from Iowa because of homesickness :( vega leaves
    Sadly, I know he's not the only one that has come back from college because of being homesick. I know of several other wrestlers that have done the same thing (all from AZ ) I'm not sure how we can better equip these young people to deal with loneliness in college.

Anyone know where kids are headed? We had a few 4 time state champions this year. We have a lot of seniors graduating too. So where are they headed?

Scoobysnak likes this.
  2. chingon76

chingon76 Active Member

I think I heard jacob garcia of corona del sol is headed to Airforce Academy

3. Matwizard

Matwizard New Member

Gator Groves-Chandler, also a 4x State Champ is headed to Harvard.

Scoobysnak, Wrestlers and chingon76 like this.
  4. Scoobysnak

Scoobysnak New Member

Have the Torres boys said where they are going yet????

5. Scoobysnak

Scoobysnak New Member

Or any of the MDN guys???

chingon76 likes this.
  6. Scoobysnak

Scoobysnak New Member

What bout the other Groves twin?

7. Scoobysnak

Scoobysnak New Member

Nice!!!! Smart kid!

8. chingon76

chingon76 Active Member

still waiting to hear...

9. WrestlingMom

WrestlingMom New Member

Vargas from Apache Junction is heading off to Briar Cliff University in IA. He signed his National Letter of Intent back in November.

I have never commented on here and typically just watch the conversations but this topic hits home. I do wonder what other parents have done to make sure their child is prepared. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Scoobysnak likes this.
  10. Matt daniel

Matt daniel New Member

I have not posted on this forum for a long time, but I do follow it to see what's going on

11. Matt daniel

Matt daniel New Member

Sorry that was incomplete. Just wanted to encourage everyone to let us know where our Az.
    wrestlers are going to college so that we can continue to follow them and support them as they move on to the next level

Austin likes this.
  12. chingon76

chingon76 Active Member

As an educator both in the classroom and on the mat... it really bugs me when kids come back and leave college. Homesickness is part of life. But being away from home teaches us to be alone and stand by ourselves. Just like wrestling does. What am I doing to make sure my wrestlers stay to their commitments? I think every coach needs to answer this. We can be content with "you step on the mat and do your thing" or we can say "wrestling teaches us to face our fears and our discomfort". College life is lonely sometimes. I remember very clearly calling home just to hear my mom's voice. Wrestling at the next level is undoubtedly another quotient to that loneliness but it's sad to see our boys or girls come home. To have the opportunity to go to school is so very important. It is so very important to stay in college.

WrestlingMom and Scoobysnak like this.
  13. WrestlingMom

WrestlingMom New Member

Completely agree! I always tell Taylor that his education is 1st. He has worked hard on and off the mat which is why he got an academic and wrestling scholarship! I honestly think I worry more than him but he’s our only child.

14. Austin

Austin New Member

My name is Austin Blomquist and I wrestle at Yuma Catholic. My friend Richard Molina and I will be continuing our wrestling career at a junior college called Northland Community and technical college!

giark65 and chingon76 like this.