Will girls wrestling be separated in division like the boys any time soon?

Tommy James

I am just curious to know when and if the girls divisions will be separated into 4 divisions like the boys?

How will the qualification work? In terms of how many girls get to go to state in terms of placing in the 5 sections and how big will the brackets be at state?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Is there even enough girls to have 4 divisions? Probably would be better to have them all in 1 division. Wish they would do that with the boys too.

Coachdoerr

How will the qualification work? In terms of how many girls get to go to state in terms of placing in the 5 sections and how big will the brackets be at state?
Only the top two from each sectional will go to state and only the top two will place at state. Both sectionals and state are single elimination which in my opinion is the dumbest thing ever

chingon76

Staff member
was the tournament on Trackwrestling? Our coaching staff is going to input our head-to-head girls wrestling matches on Track ourselves. Thankfully, there aren't that many...

chingon76

Staff member
Only the top two from each sectional will go to state and only the top two will place at state. Both sectionals and state are single elimination which in my opinion is the dumbest thing ever
it really discredits the hardwork of so many young women in AZ. To be honest, its not a surprise... some coaches are just resistant to change and they didn't support this much needed addition to Arizona wrestling. I can tell you that I've heard direct and overheard indirect conversations throughout the season concerning girls in the wrestling room.

Is it easy being more co-ed? No... but wrestling and coaching has taught me to evolve my gameplan quickly.

I'm just seriously annoyed here...Why only top two place at state? Single elimination will make for a very quick tournament but... it really is just making girls wrestling a "sideshow" event. It should be given its credit and its spotlight.... instead of a penlight.

I'm delighted to see schools like Casteel and others that are highlighting girls wrestling and having girls only duals. Its going to put those teams ahead of the curve and set the standard for girls wrestling in AZ... I hope more coaches embrace the changes and focus on growning AZ wrestling for everyone.

Last edited:
it really discredits the hardwork of so many young women in AZ. To be honest, its not a surprise... some coaches are just resistant to change and they didn't support this much needed addition to Arizona wrestling. I can tell you that I've heard direct and overheard indirect conversations throughout the season concerning girls in the wrestling room.

Is it easy being more co-ed? No... but wrestling and coaching has taught me to evolve my gameplan quickly.

I'm just seriously annoyed here...Why only top two place at state? Single elimination will make for a very quick tournament but... it really is just making girls wrestling a "sideshow" event. It should be given its credit and its spotlight.... instead of a penlight.

I'm delighted to see schools like Casteel and others that are highlighting girls wrestling and having girls only duals. Its going to put those teams ahead of the curve and set the standard for girls wrestling in AZ... I hope more coaches embrace the changes and focus on growning AZ wrestling for everyone.
I believe top 3 will qualify from sections and for State, I believe top 4 place.

chingon76

Staff member
I believe top 3 will qualify from sections and for State, I believe top 4 place.
I believe you are wrong... I spoke with Bryan and his assistant over at Moon Valley HS. THey pretty much run the state trackwrestling etc. He told me directly: single elimination and top four from each section go to state. ( I did not ask about only medals for the top 2 of state)

Top 3 from all 5 sections will go to state with a wild card to qualify in order to make a 16 girl bracket. The state tournament however will only place top 4 so there will be a consolation bracket. No team title so it will only be strictly individual.

Coachdoerr

I agree with you it should be ran just like the boys.