Division 1, Section 1:
1. Red Mountain: Have a strong team returning and with the way the sections are set up now will likely be able to qualify more for the state championship. Jason Moore at 170 and Ray Ramirez at 120 lead the way for the Mountain Lions.
2. Mountain View: Coming off a top 3 finish, losing most of their point scorers and head coach Bob Callison will bring the Toros down a notch. Return 2 state placers and a room of hungry wrestlers who are tough competitors.
3. Mesa: Will have a seamless transition with Bobby Williams retiring and longtime assistant Dave DiDomenico taking over. They always seem to have guys come out of nowhere who surprise you, so don’t overlook the Jackrabbits.
4. Desert Ridge: A team with a couple solid wrestlers, may not have the tradition of the top 3 schools, but is on the way up. In this section they are perfectly suited to make a run and get a lot of kids through to state.
5. Kofa: A program that was very down for a few years on their way back up. Yuma breeds some tough wrestlers, can they compete with some of the toughest East Valley teams? The Kings are not a team to take lightly.
6. Valley Vista: An improving West Valley team. They always seem to have at least one world beater on their team, and have had some solid finishes at various tournaments in the past few years. We’ll see if they can compete in this section.
7. Tolleson: Finished in the depths of Division 2 at state last year. They have a strong youth program, is this the year that some of their kids come up and make some noise?
8. Mountain Pointe: Had a difficult year last year losing their coach before mid-season. Seem to have had issues with keeping a coaching staff around for longer than a few years. Have some promising athletes on campus, but translating that talent to wrestling is not easy.
9. San Luis: Finished as a top 20 team in Division 3 last year. Not going to be an easy transition into one of the toughest sections and divisions in state.
10. Copper Canyon: No qualifiers for state last year. Going to be a tough year for the Aztecs as they move up to Division 1.