Arizona TRUE State Champion

Allazallstars

Both Valiant prep. Nor USA wrestling. Does not mean the best in the state.
Not all schools do USA wrestling.
Not all athletes are going to skip a possible state championship. For whatever Valiant prep does.

This one true state tournament. Is a joke.

It’s only valiant prep trying to justify whatever it is they are then to do.

And USA wrestling trying to say they are the one main champ. Doesn’t also apply.

So whatever.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as they give me a list of updated wrestlers attending I will post it.

My 2 cents, I have no dog in this fight. The announcement put out for the "One True State Champion" tournament seems to me what it is implying. This tourney is looking for the best "Arizona" Champion. It is giving State Champs and Placers first priority to seeding. It says so on the flyer. You have to give whoever is running this kudos for putting it together even if it seems biased somehow. It seems certain individuals are putting to much emphasis on the "True Champion" title when all this tourney is wanting to do is get the best wrestlers who just wrestled in their very own tough tourneys to participate. I do though have to argue though concerning individuals who might compete and have not been "weight certified" like all AIA wrestlers. Simply put, if you want your athletes to keep wrestling tough competition go, if not don't go. Your choice.

chingon76

Staff member
looking at the ERAU mile high open, I noticed Weston Milnes wrestles 157. Maybe valiant prep can get him to cut to wrestle Dawon. That would be a decent match... not sure if they've wrestled at the RTC before or during offseason.

chingon76

Staff member
who all is wrestling for valiant at this tournament?
Benji Alanis
Tanner Mendoza
Weston Milnes
any others?

Could this be the start of a new format for State Championships with a Section Championship Tournament, followed by a Division Championship Tournament, then a True State Championship Tournament with the top 4 placers from the division Championships entered into a 16 man bracket placing the top 4, all sanctioned by the AIA and all ran on Trackwrestling???
Opinions or thoughts?

It would be a good idea to run a 1 division tournament. I like the idea of having sections, divisions, then a state tournament. I do not agree however that only the top 4 from each division go to state. Division 1 is a lot more tougher than division 4 so the AIA would have to evenly match every division and section accordingly regardless if a school is small or not. Wrestling is wrestling so the top kids in the state will eventually be at the podium but the product cannot be diluted to give every division the same chance because the talent just isn't their in some divisions. In today's world the top 5 from d1 go to state, top 4 in d2 go to state, top 4 in d3 go to state and top 3 from d4 go to state and place top 8 at the state tournament. Whatever Valiant is doing is a great idea but not an original one, the creation of something like this is a great opportunity to have the kids finally show who the number 1 in AZ is. If every champ or placer does not go than it defeats the purpose of this tournament. Looking at 152 no kids has committed as of yet according to trackwrestling. It will be interesting to see what this weekend will bring.

It would be a good idea to run a 1 division tournament. I like the idea of having sections, divisions, then a state tournament. I do not agree however that only the top 4 from each division go to state. Division 1 is a lot more tougher than division 4 so the AIA would have to evenly match every division and section accordingly regardless if a school is small or not. Wrestling is wrestling so the top kids in the state will eventually be at the podium but the product cannot be diluted to give every division the same chance because the talent just isn't their in some divisions. In today's world the top 5 from d1 go to state, top 4 in d2 go to state, top 4 in d3 go to state and top 3 from d4 go to state and place top 8 at the state tournament. Whatever Valiant is doing is a great idea but not an original one, the creation of something like this is a great opportunity to have the kids finally show who the number 1 in AZ is. If every champ or placer does not go than it defeats the purpose of this tournament. Looking at 152 no kids has committed as of yet according to trackwrestling. It will be interesting to see what this weekend will bring.
I would not be surprised id Sunnyside does show up! They always make a dramatic entrance. Like past year when they did that fake story about who was wrestling what weight.

yotesdad

looking at the ERAU mile high open, I noticed Weston Milnes wrestles 157. Maybe valiant prep can get him to cut to wrestle Dawon. That would be a decent match... not sure if they've wrestled at the RTC before or during offseason.
Did Andrews change his mind about going? If not I don't get it Weston posted on his Instagram You want 152 well here I am Arizonas One True Champion or something close to that. That was before Andrews signed up though. I just hope Andrews backed out and decided not to go otherwise that would just show they moved their kids to where they could win and that was my concern from the beginning that if there was a question as to if their kid would win they would move them to where they could.

SONSx5

Did Andrews change his mind about going? If not I don't get it Weston posted on his Instagram You want 152 well here I am Arizonas One True Champion or something close to that. That was before Andrews signed up though. I just hope Andrews backed out and decided not to go otherwise that would just show they moved their kids to where they could win and that was my concern from the beginning that if there was a question as to if their kid would win they would move them to where they could.
Sadly looks like that’s exactly what is going down. The six pound allowance definitely helps make that happen.

In a perfect world, we'd call what we call "State" now "Divisionals" and then have the top 4 from "Divisionals" enter a 16 man bracket for "State" but that's too clear cut for the AIA zzzz

AveJoe

In a perfect world, we'd call what we call "State" now "Divisionals" and then have the top 4 from "Divisionals" enter a 16 man bracket for "State" but that's too clear cut for the AIA zzzz
Honestly it shouldn’t be top 4. In my eyes it should be a 4 man bracket. Winners from each division in each weight compete. If you don’t wrestle in AIA it is what it is. If you ask me majority of the top wrestlers in the state Wrestle in AIA. I’m sure there are some that don’t. I mean that’s like saying NCWA champs would take out the Champs from NCAA. Is it possible maybe but the best competition is in NCAA. And unfortunately I’d take the NCAA champ over a NCWA champ all day everyday. Nothing against NCWA there are a lot of people in different situations academic, financial, etc. so not taking anything away from them. That being said... majority of the top competition is AZ is in AIA for sure. Just me point of view.

Bighead

Here is a table which is a couple years old showing what states do a “single state” or “one champion”. I just thought I’d post this for discussion because as a member of the military I’ve lived all over the U.S. and I was pretty sure most states did multiple division state championships and not the single state championship that CA does.

Just my personal opinion but I believe the reason most states do it with multiple classes is because wrestling is also a team sport which often forgotten.

Attachments

• 95795B5D-D991-4DC1-929F-9D9926C470E6.jpeg
    95795B5D-D991-4DC1-929F-9D9926C470E6.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

yotesdad

Honestly it shouldn’t be top 4. In my eyes it should be a 4 man bracket. Winners from each division in each weight compete. If you don’t wrestle in AIA it is what it is. If you ask me majority of the top wrestlers in the state Wrestle in AIA. I’m sure there are some that don’t. I mean that’s like saying NCWA champs would take out the Champs from NCAA. Is it possible maybe but the best competition is in NCAA. And unfortunately I’d take the NCAA champ over a NCWA champ all day everyday. Nothing against NCWA there are a lot of people in different situations academic, financial, etc. so not taking anything away from them. That being said... majority of the top competition is AZ is in AIA for sure. Just me point of view.

With the current way the state tournament is set with the 4 divisions what I think would be a neat idea would be to have a champions duel after state is complete. This would have to be an AIA sanctioned event for this to work. You have all the champs from each division compete in a round robin duel so each division will face each other. Not only would this show the strength of each division but it would also settle the question as to who the true number 1 wrestler from each weight class would be. Just something that is rattling around in my head. I would like to here what everyone's opinion would be on this.

Allazallstars

Basically looks like what we expected.
Looking at track wrestling.
Valiant College Prep proving their worth.

Still don’t understand how anyone would sacrifice the possibility of a state title. Or multiple state titles.

For what. Valiant prep did nothing this year.

CVCougar

The reason that a post season true champ tournament won't ever take off is because there is not the emotion and passion of a real state tournament. No one is cutting weight and training like a beast like they are for the state tournament. No one feels like they just lost everything when they lose a post season all star match. I really like the idea of it from a fan perspective, but it will never measure up to the intensity of the state tournament in my opinion. Today's tournament felt more like a showcase for Valiant Prep to show how they measure up with the rest of the state, and I am okay with that. I don't think they need any validation because most coaches realize that they have a lot of talented wrestlers there with a top notch coaching staff. If Arizona really wants to put on a tournament to try and crown the best wrestler at each weight, they need to do it the same weekend of the state championships and only take the top 1 and 2 from each division. No need for #3s because their already is at least 1 person better than them in their own division. Have ERAU put it on on the Sunday after state while everyone is still close to weight and in the same vicinity. Don't have adults running their mouths on social media and calling kids out because they aren't registered. If a kid doesn't show, then he most likely realizes that he isn't the best or doesn't have an ego big enough that he feels the need to prove it. Make sure that you advertise it well ahead of time (like before the season starts) so wrestlers and fans can make plans to attend.

Allazallstars

But whatever. Teams like Chandler and Corona. Losing out on their top kids.
Allowing Liberty. And other schools to become the top schools in the AIA.

All good.

CVCougar

But whatever. Teams like Chandler and Corona. Losing out on their top kids.
Allowing Liberty. And other schools to become the top schools in the AIA.

All good.
I agree with a lot of what you say but Liberty was already a top school and would have been tough to beat even if Valiant wasn't in the picture.

The reason that a post season true champ tournament won't ever take off is because there is not the emotion and passion of a real state tournament. No one is cutting weight and training like a beast like they are for the state tournament. No one feels like they just lost everything when they lose a post season all star match. I really like the idea of it from a fan perspective, but it will never measure up to the intensity of the state tournament in my opinion. Today's tournament felt more like a showcase for Valiant Prep to show how they measure up with the rest of the state, and I am okay with that. I don't think they need any validation because most coaches realize that they have a lot of talented wrestlers there with a top notch coaching staff. If Arizona really wants to put on a tournament to try and crown the best wrestler at each weight, they need to do it the same weekend of the state championships and only take the top 1 and 2 from each division. No need for #3s because their already is at least 1 person better than them in their own division. Have ERAU put it on on the Sunday after state while everyone is still close to weight and in the same vicinity. Don't have adults running their mouths on social media and calling kids out because they aren't registered. If a kid doesn't show, then he most likely realizes that he isn't the best or doesn't have an ego big enough that he feels the need to prove it. Make sure that you advertise it well ahead of time (like before the season starts) so wrestlers and fans can make plans to attend.

This is a really level-headed, reasonable response...are you sure you are in the right place lololol? In regards to your statements about this tournament, I agree wholeheartedly and believe you hit the nail on the head. It's up to the AIA to make some systematic changes...again call what we know as "State" "Divisionals" and then do another tournament with the top 4 or top 2 or just champions and call that "State".

In regards to this new charter school, if Valiant can demonstrate that the academic and social aspects of their operation are worthwhile, I think this will be an interesting situation for AZ high school wrestling, much like what is happening with soccer at the high school level (https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-arizona-high-school-girls-soccer/2671102002/). Hard to argue with what was shown today, as well as what we already know (they have a hell of a coaching staff).

And yeah, Valiant or not, Liberty was going to continue to make noise and develop high-caliber wrestlers, they are a machine

Last edited: