2015-2016 Division I Team Rankings (Update 1/11/16)

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
D-1 Team Rankings

1. Mesa Mountain View- Defending Champions, beat Sunnyside and Ironwood Ridge, team to beat until they get knocked off. Young studs stepping in and doing well.
2. Ironwood Ridge- Very talented group led by Vega and Kline. Beat Sunnyside and much closer match than the score indicated against Mt. View.
3. Sunnyside- Started off slow but now wins over Chandler and Peoria Invite Champions, they are peaking at the right time. Dont count them out for a team championship.
4. Cibola- Surprise team so far, Duel in the Desert Team Champions, wins over Chandler, Corona Del Sol and Seton Catholic. These young men are getting better faster than anticipated.
5. Corona Del Sol- Coach Martinez has these boys peaking, wins over Chandler and Runner up at Duel in the Desert tounament.
6. Desert Vista- Have not seen too much of them this year, good showing at TOC in CA.
7. Chandler- Biggest dissapoinment so far, team has talent but has cant put a full lineup together all year. Might be able to go on a run if they can pull it together.
8. Red Mountain- A program that surprised everyone last year, young talent stepping in and doing a good job.
9. Tucson High- Coach Deberry is doing ya great job getting these boys ready. Getting better every year since he took over program.
10. Basha- Young team led by Seniors Nico Braswell and Patrick Schmitz.

whenndoubtchokemout

Re: 2015-2016 Division I pre-season Team Rankings

SHOWDOWN!!! Mesa Mt. View vs. Liberty, Fri/Sat Dec 4-5 @ Liberty Classic, D1 Champions against D2 Runner Ups, good test for both programs.

whenndoubtchokemout

Ironwood Ridge takes over the #3 spot from Chandler after the addition of Missouri State Champion transfer Josiah Kline

Allazallstars

How many returning state champions do they have in division 1?

Sounds like there are a few state champions from other states joining D1 this year.

whenndoubtchokemout

Allazallstars said:
How many returning state champions do they have in division 1?

Sounds like there are a few state champions from other states joining D1 this year.
I noted the returning state champions and placers on RANKINGS

TUMBLEWEED

Choke em out - how come IronWoodRidge takes #3 spot from Chandler with Missouri champ transfer, when Chandler has Hawaii champ transfer that is ranked higher individually at same weight?

In my opinion, IR should be #1 based on returning placers and depth. Not as deep as MMV last year but pretty solid. Will be interesting to see line up. Gonna have to bench some kids who would likely crack line up at any other school.

Predicted placing-
1. IR
2. MMV
3. Chandler
4. SS
5. Desert view

East Valley

I don't know what the transfers do or don't do for the teams until I see them on the mat. I think IR is in the mix even before that. Transfers can make a difference but I believe if you don't have the solid home grown kids in the other spots its hard to win a title. Just my 2 cents.

Luckily we'll know a lot more in the next few weeks with MMV, SS, IR & Chandler mixing it up.

whenndoubtchokemout

TUMBLEWEED-

1. Mesa Mountain View are the 2x returning State Champions, until someone knocks them out in a duel then they will remain there. They lost some studs but also reloaded with young talent that has been waiting to get there turn.

2. Sunnyside- Loaded from 106 to 160, plus they always find a way to make an average wrestler a contender/placer at the end of the season. Sunnyside and Ironwood Ridge will find out who rules Tucson on Wednesday, December 2nd at Sunnyside.

3. Ironwood Ridge definitely has a loaded line up but were they are weak is at 106, 182, 195, 220 and Heavyweight. Yes, they do have depth but at 126/132 they have Klass, Cline and Castillo all within the same weight. Someone is gonna get left out of the lineup.

4. Chandler- Solid from 106 to 145. They got a 170 who is gonna surprise a lot of people, did not wrestle last year), it wont be till the middle of December before the big boys return from football, they will be tough at 195, 220 and Heavyweight.

I think anyone of the top 4 can win it all, last year we had a clear cut favorite, this year it's the team that stays healthy and hungry all year.

bayoubadger

Things should shake out pretty quickly since Sunnyside wrestles Mesa Mountain View and Ironwood Ridge in successive weeks.

TUMBLEWEED

-CEO- (choke em out)
well put. after reading that i believe this year will be one of the closest comps in a while for D-1 state
thank you for all of your time and effort on the rankings

donrcovert

Well it's been awhile since anyone has thrown out ideas on how the Team title will look. So before Flowing Wells this weekend what are your ideas?

I do not put much weight on the early season out comes.
I know MVT beat SS but now I think it is to close to call.
IR 3rd.
Chandler 4th.

donrcovert

I cannot disagree with you coach P. I think it will be very close between MVT and SS. East Valley I still think we can do it but we need everyone to step up and go deep into their brackets.

East Valley

I'm not mad at anyone. Your opinion is your own & I have mine. I just want people to say why they feel a certain way. A little data to back up opinions or it just sounds like "Feelings" to me. It's ok to be a homer just admit it or give reasons. :)

Just because SS won Peoria without IR, Mtn View, Cibola & Corona doesn't do it for me or the close dual that Mtn View & IR had in MN. They had a dual even closer 2 years ago at the Blackford duals. Mtn View had to pin the last 3 weights to win by a few points. Then at state Mtn View put up 197 points & IR only 100. 3 years ago Mtn View & IR had the same dual that came down to the last match & later Seth Monty was out for Flowing Wells & Mtn View took second to Sunnyside & looked like they would challenge for the State title. Nope! Sunnyside won it putting up 151 points & Mtn View took 4th with 122. Oh & Ironwood Ridge went on to romp everyone in D2 & put up 216 points over 2nd place Gila Ridge 128.

Now if you said I like SS because they won at Peoria with pressure on them. They responded when Liberty didn't & without their full lineup intact. That makes sense. I like IR because they did have a much closer dual with Mtn View & were only 2 spots behind them at Reno for the team portion I can buy that.

I believe FW will be interesting. IR is missing two key weights 122 & 140. SS is missing a 220 but Laguna is back. Mtn View has a full lineup. We'll see who wants it more. Some other team tired of hearing about those 3 may come through?

devilfan

East Valley - Just curious, do you know if the Booth move to 138 is permanent or is Kade Williams hurt? Having a returning state placer out of the lineup seems to hurt the Toros a little, but I'll admit I dont' know much about Thorton or his potential. Thanks

East Valley

devilfan - I don't know how it will all shake out with that situation. Missing Williams would hurt them for sure. Especially with Laguna being back at SS. Thornton is a tough kid. (10-3) He's been stuck behind Wokasch & Booth.

Coach P

Its not that I know of any secret weapon at SS....just know its gonna be close. Laguna returning definitely adds lots of team points to SS no matter what the outcome at 134. C Hernandez and H Salazar (who got bumped up) can place at the higher weights...so if Frias and D Salazar step up in the finals (and Bravo almost a given), SS still has two or three more placers in Loaiza, J Hernandez, and lil Garcia and/or Deatherage. MMV has the same if not more placers....IR will be in the hunt as well, but they have a few key injuries late in the season and need some rest. They will be contending come state time....its gonna be fun.