2017-2018 D3 Returning State Placers and Qualifiers

bayoubadger

In my opinion Isiah Jacobs is poised to be state champ in Div III. Mickelson wrestled in 195# last year, Isiah wrestled in 220 weighing 207 and ended with a 59-5 record, best in DivIII. Isiah has over 100 wins combining his sophomore yr weighing only 187 lbs as a 220# wrestler, where he placed sixth! Most of last year wins were by pins. He should have faced Thunderbird because he had Jaisen Brown, (from showlow)’ pinned in first round and ref stalled, allowing time to run out and only slapped the mat for Brown when Brown dipped Isiah, just touching the tip of his shoulder. Also Terik should have been disqualified for scratching Isiah face with nails that should have been cut and checked by coach and by the way, even though Isiah didn’t place in his freshman year, he qualified for state and earned a Varsity letter. His fastest pin was 4 seconds last year. I will end by saying if he had been a *****/club wrestler instead of starting in freshman year, who knows, as most people who follow wrestling, know the best of the best wrestle year round and that is all they do. Just saying!
As I always tell my kids, you can't put it the hands of the ref. The only thing you control is your heart and how hard you work.

Is that all you could focus on, was my comment on the ref. You talk about hard work, you can work as hard as you want and it’s still in the hands of the rest. Feast your eyes on Isiah’s record last year. It was the best in DIV III, bar none, if that not heart and hardwork, as he wasn’t a true 220#. He only weighed 207, giving up 13 lbs and only 5’10.

SPRAWL

Is that all you could focus on, was my comment on the ref. You talk about hard work, you can work as hard as you want and it’s still in the hands of the rest. Feast your eyes on Isiah’s record last year. It was the best in DIV III, bar none, if that not heart and hardwork, as he wasn’t a true 220#. He only weighed 207, giving up 13 lbs and only 5’10.
Not sure why you're addressing issues about a certain young man, that have been corrected long ago??. Isiah I'm sure is a great wrestler, but he didn't appear to me to have the best record in DIII bar none, as there are a couple of undefeated wrestlers and a few with just 1 loss. Also bayoubadger's comment holds very true, ask any good coach. A decisive "no doubt about it" win is not in the hands of the ref.

On a final note, the title of this thread is :
2017-2018 D3 Returning State Placers and Qualifiers.
No mention at all of any rankings. The effort it takes to compile this info is time consuming and takes a lot of work as does creating a rankings profile and there can be mistakes made, ie: typos,wrestlers overlooked. Wm201617 states: "Again this is just opinion of rankings and I do not profess to be some know it all or even someone that can make an educated guess batter than anyone else. Feel free to jump in where I am wrong."

Any rankings that are created are based on stats and opinion, and that person is entitled to their opinion, although most are open to correction or other opinions. Mr Jacobs it would be interesting to see you do a rankings for DIII wrestling once weight cert's are completed for all teams. I would be glad to help with locating necessary information.
PS. I would personally have Isiah Jacobs ranked #1 @ 220# because of two uncertainties. 1. Can Mickelson beat Isiah? 2. Will Mickelson eventually end up @ 195#?

Last edited:
The basis for my opinion is first, Mickelson was a 195# last year and there is no certainty he will be in #220 lb class. Noware did I mention rankings as another did. Mickleson’s record was 40-2 in 195#. Isiah’s was 59-5 in #220 and three of those 5 he had defeated before or after. You tell me who had more wins in DIII in the 220# lb class and I will retract my statement. William201617 apparently thinks Mickelson will take state this year and I say different. So why is that so different then you or William or are you mr authority and only your opinion matters?

bayoubadger

The basis for my opinion is first, Mickelson was a 195# last year and there is no certainty he will be in #220 lb class. Noware did I mention rankings as another did. Mickleson’s record was 40-2 in 195#. Isiah’s was 59-5 in #220 and three of those 5 he had defeated before or after. You tell me who had more wins in DIII in the 220# lb class and I will retract my statement. William201617 apparently thinks Mickelson will take state this year and I say different. So why is that so different then you or William or are you mr authority and only your opinion matters?
There are only two wins that really matter. The win that qualifies you for state and the win in the State Finals Match. If you lose either of those then it doesn't matter if you won 100 matches that season.

SPRAWL

You are certainly entitled to you r opinion, and I agreed with you that Isiah deserves a #1 ranking. I'm definitely not asking you to retract your statement, but you changed your statement from "Feast your eyes on Isiah’s record last year. It was the best in DIV III, bar none," to" You tell me who had more wins in DIII in the 220# lb class and I will retract my statement"..So I do agree with you again that Isiah had the most wins in DIII #220, but not the best record in DIII.

Last edited:
There are only two wins that really matter. The win that qualifies you for state and the win in the State Finals Match. If you lose either of those then it doesn't matter if you won 100 matches that season.[/QUOTE
There are only two wins that really matter. The win that qualifies you for state and the win in the State Finals Match. If you lose either of those then it doesn't matter if you won 100 matches that season.
Maybe to your narrow mind, but not to a wrestler who puts in a whole season working hard to win. His wins means a lot to him. I will stay off of this forum as I see the few people that are on here just want to argue and are just like the arm chair quarterbacks.

You are certainly entitled to you r opinion, and I agreed with you that Isiah deserves a #1 ranking. I'm definitely not asking you to retract your statement, but you changed your statement from "Feast your eyes on Isiah’s record last year. It was the best in DIV III, bar none," to" You tell me who had more wins in DIII in the 220# lb class and I will retract my statement"..So I do agree with you again that Isiah had the most wins, but not the best record in DIII 220#.
You read my earlier post

I didn’t change my statement, he had the most wins of any AZ DIII #220 and to me that is a record. I myself feel the final outcome should be how many wins, not just someone who happened to qualify for state and wins at state but only has a total of eleven wins. Time will tell and you will see Isiah win state this year, plus posting many wins!

wm201617

Wow interesting commentary to be sure. Mr Jacobs, I like the way you stick up for your son. I agree if Mickelson drops to 195 your son should probably be 1 in my opinion.... but until we see some weights I would leave Mickelson at 220 (I just think thats where he will be until I see otherwise) He started last season at 220. My only point besides the fact of his starting weight (unless he weighs less than last year) is that 220 is more "open" now on his own team so whats his incentive to drop 10 to 15 lbs? There will be some pretty tough guys at either weight. We will know soon enough.
Good Luck to your son.