Congratulations to Matt Mejia

MingusCoach

Staff member
Mejia signs to become a Tiger at Fort Hays State University

Matt Mejia (middle) gets set to sign his Letter of Intent with Camp Verde Head Coach Tracy Tudor (left) and his mother Jo (right). Matt will continue his wrestling career at Fort Hays State University in Kansas. Mejia will most likely wrestle as a 133-pounder at Fort Hays and could have a shot at competing as a freshman. (Photo by Greg Macafee/VVN)
Matt Mejia (middle) gets set to sign his Letter of Intent with Camp Verde Head Coach Tracy Tudor (left) and his mother Jo (right). Matt will continue his wrestling career at Fort Hays State University in Kansas. Mejia will most likely wrestle as a 133-pounder at Fort Hays and could have a shot at competing as a freshman. (Photo by Greg Macafee/VVN)

Greg Macafee
Reporter

CAMP VERDE - He started wrestling in 5th grade and even admitted he wasn't very good, but as time went on Camp Verde senior Matt Mejia got better at the sport, through dedication and hard work, day in and day out.

Good enough actually to earn two Division IV State Championships, one as a freshman and one as a senior.

The 2-time State Champion said it wasn't a dream at first but as time went on and as he got better, he knew he wanted to compete at the next level.

Wednesday morning, all that his hard work built up to one moment as Matt Mejia signed his Letter of Intent to wrestle at Fort Hays State University in Kansas. A lot of things came into the decision for the Camp Verde senior to decide that he wanted to continue the next step of his wrestling career as a Tiger.

"When I went out there to visit, I really loved the campus, it is a really nice place, it's really clean and I loved the coaches and the wrestlers on the team," Mejia said. "And of course they offered me a lot of money."

Mejia will receive close to a full scholarship, which is a combination of both athletics and academics. For now he will go undecided for a major and is still pondering his options. Fort Hays Head Wrestling Coach Chas Thompson said his newest recruit is a "complete package."

"He has a great personality and is a complete package, as he's a great student and a great wrestler," Thompson said. "Matt is the kind of kid that we hope will help breed a culture of the all-around student athlete, which is what we strive for."

Thompson found Mejia on a recruiting website and reached out immediately to try and bring him on to become the next piece of the puzzle at Fort Hays. Thompson said he could even have an impact as a freshman, if he is ready.

"What jumped out to me was the fact that he makes good grades and clearly he is one of Arizona's top light weights," Thompson said. "We will be young at 133 lbs. Next year and we have discussed the possibility of him wrestling for the spot as a freshman. Only time will tell. As for now it is totally up in the air as we almost always redshirt our incoming freshman. But when he gets here and if he feels ready & I feel he is ready, then it will be go time."

Mejia will have some work to do though as the Tigers have two 133-pounders on their roster right now.

Brandon Ball, a freshman this year, was a 4-time State Champion at Hoisington High School in Kansas, winning state titles at 120, 126, 132 and 138 and only lost three times in his entire prep career.

Even with a lot of hard work ahead of him Mejia says it feels good to have his coaches' support heading into his freshman season.

"It makes me feel good knowing right off the bat my coach believes in me to go out there and do well as a freshman at the collegiate level, I am ready to work harder than I have ever worked before though." Mejia said.

With time ticking down on his senior year and graduation right around the corner, Mejia said he's going to get into the weight room and build up some strength before taking the next step in life as he will head to Fort Hays in August to begin his collegiate career.

Hillis

Awesome job Matt who also was a two-time champ at our VMI and outstanding wrestling in 2015. Good luck in your future endeavors

Coach Hillis and Window Rock Scouts