Reflections on Girls Sectionals

Coach Pat

I think we need to consider taking 32 girls to state in each weight class for girls state. With one division (which I agree having - would like to see the boys paired down to 2 divisions) and 8 sections I think we need to just take top 4 from each section. I watched girls take 4th in our section down in Tucson that might have been State placers. I know that happens with the boys too but I feel it’s even worse with the girls. What’s 8 more girls? And if there are weight classes like 185 and 235 that don’t have as many girls I just say we deal with it at state. It may water down some weights but especially the lower weights are pretty full with good sized 16 man brackets. If we want to grow the sport for girls, which I think we need to for many reasons, we need to give more girls that state experience. We only qualified one, but my girls were so excited and hyped for that one girl that they’re now taking to ask their friends about wrestling. That’s why we need. I think this is the right thing to do for our female wrestlers.

Thoughts?

jfingd

Staff member
I agree. The way the AIA has handled the rollout of the girls division has been pretty sad. First it was stupid new rules, and only 2 qualifiers per section, then the fixed the rules, but still only allowed 2 girls per section--then they change it to THREE girls from 8 sections for 24 girls in a 32 man bracket? Who makes these calls? So dumb.

For the boys--they need to change the state tournament to a division tournament, and send the top 4 to a SINGLE state championship. the only thing dumber than 4 state champs per weight class is 7 football state champs.

Do better, AIA.

Coach Pat

I agree. The way the AIA has handled the rollout of the girls division has been pretty sad. First it was stupid new rules, and only 2 qualifiers per section, then the fixed the rules, but still only allowed 2 girls per section--then they change it to THREE girls from 8 sections for 24 girls in a 32 man bracket? Who makes these calls? So dumb.

For the boys--they need to change the state tournament to a division tournament, and send the top 4 to a SINGLE state championship. the only thing dumber than 4 state champs per weight class is 7 football state champs.

Do better, AIA.
I agree with the boys. I think that one we need to slow play it a little. Take the top 8 from DIV and DIII for a 16 man small school bracket and then do the same with DII and DI. I think many small schools, this will serve to elevate the wrestling across the divisions and then we can move to a single state championship and possibly placing top 8 at state.