RUMORS

jfingd

Staff member
Alright. Season is over, time for rumor and speculation...

I'll start:

Grindhouse is going to try and consolidate their feeders into a single school, in order to compete with Sunnyside next year. Who's it gonna be, Liberty, to beat SS? or Ironwood, in order to avoid Sunnyside?

Disclaimer:

**This is a rumor that I made up myself**

3boys

Coming from Tucson, I feel this rumor is funny because their is a school in Arizona teams are Afraid of....except its in Tucson.
Funny how valiant did the same thing (consolidate) and produced one of the toughest wrestling schools in greater PHX, but cant/wont compete in the AIA.- good luck Grindhouse ----funny jfingd very funny

It would make no sense for Grindhouse to do that. Grindhouse wouldn't be the state champions that school would be. You could have 1 kid not starting because they all go to the same school. This year Grindhouse had over 20 kids place at State, over 3 divisions. These kids are representing around 11 different schools. If all the kids where at one school this wouldn't have been possible. By not having all the club kids at one school it's possible Grindhouse could have 2 kids in the final at the same weight, just representing different schools.

Coachdoerr

Coming from Tucson, I feel this rumor is funny because their is a school in Arizona teams are Afraid of....except its in Tucson.
Funny how valiant did the same thing (consolidate) and produced one of the toughest wrestling schools in greater PHX, but cant/wont compete in the AIA.- good luck Grindhouse ----funny jfingd very funny
VP can not compete in AIA they were not accepted into the association. I am sure they would compete some if they could

That’s a great rumor and I’m sure it took some thoughtful insight to come up with that.

Grindhouse Phx doesn’t have a feeder program. Kids develop through youth and go to whatever school they choose to. The ones that come in already go to the high school they are at. We have kids that represent 16 high schools in the west valley, central Phoenix, and north Phoenix/Scottsdale. So, it’s a pretty diverse group.

Now, for shits and giggles, let’s just say we were to do something like that, it wouldn’t be to avoid anybody. No reason to. Our kids have historically done just fine against SS and any other top kids in the state (research it). So, I feel confident in saying that if we did that, it wouldn’t even be close. And that’s nothing against SS. I respect the hell out of them. But, the group of high school kids we have, if put together, we’ll, it’s not even an argument.

Now here’s why it would never happen. I like it when kids go to different schools. It allows them to put themselves in a team atmosphere. They also are forced to be leaders. It allows high school coaches to get some respect and be able to build programs. One dominate high school team would be boring and it doesn’t serve a purpose. Kids that could be on varsity at another school, sitting on JV at one school. That’s not how things should be done.

So, no worries. No “consolidation” here. We like sending the minions out spread all over the place. It’s more fun that way.

Dad3wrestlers

hard work, pays off
I might be wrong here, but Valiant can participate in AIA, but there were stipulations from both sides that could not be overcome. If someone has authentic information please, they have kids there that i have watched wrestle since they were very young, so i would love to see it. I was thrilled the Ramos kids went back to Casteel i have thoroughly enjoyed watching them wrestle for about 8 years.

FamousLie

I might be wrong here, but Valiant can participate in AIA, but there were stipulations from both sides that could not be overcome. If someone has authentic information please, they have kids there that i have watched wrestle since they were very young, so i would love to see it. I was thrilled the Ramos kids went back to Casteel i have thoroughly enjoyed watching them wrestle for about 8 years.
Basically it comes from a lot of factors. The AIA knows the purpose Valiant was created for and wants no part of it. There are several "prep" schools around here that were created for basketball which the AIA basically told several years ago that they couldn't play against AIA in regular season games because those schools were poaching AZ kids locally despite promising they wouldn't. Valiant might have done the same thing. Not saying they would but being able to wrestle duals and local tournaments even if it was heavily restricted could lead to kids leaving their school to go to Valiant.

The other problem was or is that Valiant basically had only one sport, I'll give you 3 guesses as to what it was, and have only added other sports so it doesn't come across as being so obvious. But we all know the school is centered on wrestling. Most of the people who teach or have something to do with the school have something to do with wrestling. This isn't by accident.

The last factor which I don't know much about is some of the fallout when Larkin left Seton. Apparently Seton didn't like Larkin's ideas or had gone back on their promise to him. Seton is a part of the AIA so I don't know if they said anything to the AIA when Valiant came looking to join as an associate member, but I would guess there might have been some animosity there.

Anyway, add all that up and figure out what the AIA sees as the biggest problem or objection to Valiant and you'll have your answer. My guess is it's some combination of all 3.

az_wrestler

Basically it comes from a lot of factors. The AIA knows the purpose Valiant was created for and wants no part of it. There are several "prep" schools around here that were created for basketball which the AIA basically told several years ago that they couldn't play against AIA in regular season games because those schools were poaching AZ kids locally despite promising they wouldn't. Valiant might have done the same thing. Not saying they would but being able to wrestle duals and local tournaments even if it was heavily restricted could lead to kids leaving their school to go to Valiant.

The other problem was or is that Valiant basically had only one sport, I'll give you 3 guesses as to what it was, and have only added other sports so it doesn't come across as being so obvious. But we all know the school is centered on wrestling. Most of the people who teach or have something to do with the school have something to do with wrestling. This isn't by accident.

The last factor which I don't know much about is some of the fallout when Larkin left Seton. Apparently Seton didn't like Larkin's ideas or had gone back on their promise to him. Seton is a part of the AIA so I don't know if they said anything to the AIA when Valiant came looking to join as an associate member, but I would guess there might have been some animosity there.

Anyway, add all that up and figure out what the AIA sees as the biggest problem or objection to Valiant and you'll have your answer. My guess is it's some combination of all 3.
So Basically POLITICS! prvt schools and home schools were created for same reason, public schools are terrible, Basis Schools focus is on strictly academics, Their are magnet schools that focus on 1 thing, so what's the Difference? Who wouldn't want to be trained by some of the best coaches in Arizona? Larkin-Hodge trophy winner, Cejudo-the name says it all, and both Douglas. Look at their rankings in the country, Other states do the same thing! They are also providing a state of the art Academic education, don't forget that. Wrestling isn't enough to get a scholarship. IMO Valiant will and continue to have the best wrestlers in Arizona! Compare by school how many Valiant sends to college on scholarships. the AIA loses- 4 State Titles instead of 1 and the POLITICS hurt this sport. This years wrestling season was a joke-I blame AIA!

FamousLie

So Basically POLITICS! prvt schools and home schools were created for same reason, public schools are terrible, Basis Schools focus is on strictly academics, Their are magnet schools that focus on 1 thing, so what's the Difference? Who wouldn't want to be trained by some of the best coaches in Arizona? Larkin-Hodge trophy winner, Cejudo-the name says it all, and both Douglas. Look at their rankings in the country, Other states do the same thing! They are also providing a state of the art Academic education, don't forget that. Wrestling isn't enough to get a scholarship. IMO Valiant will and continue to have the best wrestlers in Arizona! Compare by school how many Valiant sends to college on scholarships. the AIA loses- 4 State Titles instead of 1 and the POLITICS hurt this sport. This years wrestling season was a joke-I blame AIA!
The AIA is more concerned about having high participation in sports. I can see their point of view when a school that's centered on a single sport is competing with them and offering scholarships. If Valiant were allowed then lots of kids might leave and weaken wrestling here during the high school season, or it would consolidate the talent in a few schools who consistently win, like what's happening in football. That's why they changed the classification for football.

I think Valiant is great. They aren't out to win locally. The best coaching staff around and they produce good kids. I've heard plenty of people, including some who left AZ talk down on them, but I hope they succeed. You don't need to go to Valiant if you are a good wrestler, but it is a place to go if you want good coaching like you might not get during the regular season. Everyone has different reasons. Ramos left. So have a few others. But it's not for everyone.

az_wrestler

The AIA is more concerned about having high participation in sports. I can see their point of view when a school that's centered on a single sport is competing with them and offering scholarships. If Valiant were allowed then lots of kids might leave and weaken wrestling here during the high school season, or it would consolidate the talent in a few schools who consistently win, like what's happening in football. That's why they changed the classification for football.

I think Valiant is great. They aren't out to win locally. The best coaching staff around and they produce good kids. I've heard plenty of people, including some who left AZ talk down on them, but I hope they succeed. You don't need to go to Valiant if you are a good wrestler, but it is a place to go if you want good coaching like you might not get during the regular season. Everyone has different reasons. Ramos left. So have a few others. But it's not for everyone.
You just described every school..Marana MT View had so many transfers, as did Liberty and so on....Everyone does have their reasons, and the people who left their prior schools talk down on them too, so this is nothing new. POLITICS! Locally stinks in AZ, everyone knows you have to leave Ariz to get better, be it traveling to tournaments or just plain moving......

FamousLie

You just described every school..Marana MT View had so many transfers, as did Liberty and so on....Everyone does have their reasons, and the people who left their prior schools talk down on them too, so this is nothing new. POLITICS! Locally stinks in AZ, everyone knows you have to leave Ariz to get better, be it traveling to tournaments or just plain moving......
Some schools seek out transfers. Some don't. It's sad how often we see that now. Some kids who are good should go local and lift up their neighborhood school. I like seeing the schools that don't win a lot have 1-2 guys doing well and lifting up the other guys in the room.

Coachdoerr

It’s not that do not want to compete in AIA. Their application to be with AIA was denied

Dad3wrestlers

hard work, pays off
It’s not that do not want to compete in AIA. Their application to be with AIA was denied
I could be completely wrong here, but i have heard that part of the reason for the denial was that Valiant wanted to complete against schools in duals and tournaments but did not want to compete in the state tournament. Someone out there might know a lot more and can tell me how wrong i am, that is what i heard.

FamousLie

I could be completely wrong here, but i have heard that part of the reason for the denial was that Valiant wanted to complete against schools in duals and tournaments but did not want to compete in the state tournament. Someone out there might know a lot more and can tell me how wrong i am, that is what i heard.
That's basically it. But because they aren't an AIA member or affiliate member they can't go to any big tournaments even out of state. But that has to do with the NFHS rules.