State Tournament 3 days? (3 weigh in's...??)

jfingd

Staff member
Divisions I, II & III will wrestle Thursday, Friday and Saturday the 17th-19th at the state tournament. Not sure who at the AIA thought this was a good idea, because it's NOT.

Division IV and the Girls division will only be wrestling two days--friday and saturday--BUT-and here's the best (worst) part: All four divisions, and girls (5 bouts) will wrestle in the final championship round at the same time. 3rd-6th will be completed saturday morning, then saturday night, all five groups will compete in the final match, at once. This is almost dumber than last year, squeezing it into a single day.

We need the divisions to be separated out again, and wrestled at a host school.

Concho

This is so stupid convoluted. Seriously? Does the AIA never consider the parents who work and have to take another day off to support their athlete, not to mention another night of motel expense? Why drag the dang thing out over three days? Why on earth wrestle the medal rounds for 3-5th at different times, where does the team aspect come in to play there?
Come on, we have to consider something other than what is convenient for the AIA. I totally agree, send it back to High Schools who are willing with nice size gyms. Ridiculous.

acestallion

Personally I like having all the state championship matches wrestled together at once, like it used to be. That being said, not a fan of the 3-day weigh-ins for Divisions 1-3, that's rough on the kids, and like mentioned above, rough on the parents who have to travel and take off work and all that. Wish they'd figure out a better way to do it.

Coach Pat

Personally I like having all the state championship matches wrestled together at once, like it used to be. That being said, not a fan of the 3-day weigh-ins for Divisions 1-3, that's rough on the kids, and like mentioned above, rough on the parents who have to travel and take off work and all that. Wish they'd figure out a better way to do it.
I agree about having all the divisions together, especially the girls. I think having everything together relieves a lot of stress on the state in regards to officiating but, more importantly, it makes state a bigger event. We need to showcase wrestling to the community. Having it at large venues with a bunch of great matches from all divisions achieves that goal IMO. I also agree that the 3day weigh in is ridiculous. What is the end goal here? With a large venue and all those mats, we should be able to get through 4 divisions plus girls in two days.