2016 Divisions

whenndoubtchokemout

"when in doubt, chokem out"
D1 schools with more than 2500 students that are going to D3 are schools that repeatedly did not show any interest in putting a good team together. D3 schools with good programs wont have to worry. Look at Seton Catholic, school has about 700 kids and most likely will be in the hunt to win D2 title. Just because a team has a lot of students it does not mean it has a good wrestling program. D-1 and D2 programs are obviously superior than other divisions, just look at Division I section 1 (Chandler, Sunnyside, Ironwood Ridge, Tucson, and Desert Vista) and and section 4 (Mesa Mountain View, Corona, Mesa, Red Mountain and Dobson) BRUTAL programs!! I wont be surprised if Cibola joins one of those sections now that they will move back to DI. D2 has great programs like Liberty, Mountain View Marana and Desert Edge and Cienega (Tucson). I think Thunderbird petitioned for D2 and will give latter teams a push. Even with teams dropping to D3, I still see teams like Amphi, Show Low, Moon Valley, Coconino and Chino Valley being the top 5 teams to battle for the Championship.

whenndoubtchokemout

Allazallstars said:
Possible Division 1 sections if all teams division appeals are approved
(using geography and current sections)

Section 1 = Hamilton, Perry, Chandler, Desert Vista, Brophy, Mountain Pointe, Basha, Gilbert and Highland

Section 2 = Tucson, Cibola, Westview, Sunnyside, Buena, Millenium, Marana, Ironwood Ridge

Section 3 = Boulder Creek, O'Connor, Pinnacle, Horizon, Mountain Ridge, North Canyon, Centennial, Valley Vista, Willow Canyon

Section 4 = Mesa, Red Mountain, Mountain View, Westwood, Corona, Desert Ridge, Dobson, Desert Mountain, Chaparral

this is a great example of what the sections should look like in D1

CVCougar

I agree with you that those teams moving down won't come in and shake things up too much. I just don't agree with letting teams move down 2 divisions to be able to compete. Those competitive schools with 700 kids have coaches who are working hard to make those teams competitive with much less to choose from. And Seton is an anomaly because they are the only school with 700 students that has a coach with enough national recognition that kids are willing to forfeit a year of eligibility to transfer there. I am certain that a school with 2500 kids can find athletes to be competitive. It just takes a coach that is willing to put in the effort, and an AD to support him. The AIA in other sports base the number of state qualifiers on the size of the division. They should certainly do the same for D3 and D4 if they are going to allow teams to drop down and make them large divisions. Just my suggestion and hope.

East Valley

Where the teams posted for each Division? (D1, D2, D3 & D4)

I see your point CVCougar. Even though the big schools (Going D3 or D4) aren't showing a desire to build a program they still have a lot more kids. When a school with 400-700 kids puts a team out they are developed & have a lot of effort going in to getting them on the mat. Many times with out strong depth behind them. Many of the smaller schools can compete with anyone but don't have the luxury of depth. I hope it doesn't affect the programs that are really building it.

The D1 sectional example above may be the way it plays out. The challenge I see now is Section 4 remains the toughest section. (More State finalist & placers than any other section last year) Section 1 got a lot easier, section 2 got tougher & section 3 is still the weakest.

Last year Sunnyside, Ironwood Ridge, Cibola & Mtn View (Just to name a few) not only had a brutal out of state schedules but brutal in state as well. It seemed like some schools stayed home & fed on the weak programs. Taking high seeds away from tougher kids. I would love it if they threw Mtn View & Corona or Sunnyside & Ironwood ridge in section 3. How about Cibola & Tucson or Mesa & Red Mtn? The kids in D1 section 3 can compete! Give them a chance at tougher competition so they don't have to take crap over it. It would raise the level in AZ. To even it out put some sharks in that seciton so when you qualify for state it means something. Some of those programs are really trying! If they throw some good teams in that section than I'm all for it. I know there are good kids in Section 3 that need better competition.

CVCougar

@ East Valley- Divisions are posted on the front page of the aiaonline website under "Division individual sport placement". Sections are not out yet. Hopefully they will be out this week sometime.

whenndoubtchokemout

AIA Divisions & Sections
Division Placement by Individual Sport/School, 2015-2018
Final Division Placements as of April 20, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
50 | Page
Updated: 04/20/2015, 3:00 p.m.
2015‐2016 Wrestling (196 teams)
Division I (35 teams)
Basha
Boulder Creek
Brophy Prep Private
Buena
Centennial
Chandler
Chaparral
Cibola +1
Corona del Sol
Desert Mountain
Desert Ridge
Desert Vista
Dobson
Gilbert
Hamilton
Highland
Horizon
Ironwood Ridge
Marana
Mesa
Millennium
Mountain Pointe
Mountain Ridge
Mountain View, Mesa
North Canyon
Perry
Pinnacle
Red Mountain
Sandra Day O'Connor
Sunnyside
Tucson
Valley Vista
Westview
Westwood
Willow Canyon
AIA Divisions & Sections
51 | Page
Division II (46 teams)
Agua Fria
Apollo
Barry Goldwater
Cactus Shadows
Campo Verde
Canyon Del Oro
Catalina Foothills
Cholla Magnet
Cienega
Copper Canyon
Deer Valley
Desert Edge
Dysart
Gila Ridge
Glendale
Higley
Independence
Ironwood
Kofa
La Joya Community
Lake Havasu
Liberty
Marcos de Niza
Maricopa
McClintock
Mesquite ‐1
Mountain View Marana
Nogales
Paradise Valley
Peoria
Poston Butte
Prescott
Queen Creek
Raymond S. Kellis
Rincon/University
Sahuaro
Seton Catholic Prep +1 Private
Shadow Mountain
Skyline ‐1
AIA Divisions & Sections
52 | Page
Sunnyslope
Sunrise Mountain
Thunderbird +1
Tolleson Union
Verrado
Vista Grande
Washington
Division III (60 teams)
Alhambra ‐2
Amphitheater
Apache Junction
Betty H. Fairfax ‐1
Blue Ridge
Bradshaw Mountain ‐1
Buckeye Union
Cactus
Camelback ‐1
Carl Hayden ‐2
Casa Grande
Catalina Magnet
Central ‐1
Cesar Chavez ‐2
Chinle
Chino Valley
Coconino
Combs
Coolidge
Coronado
Cortez
Desert View ‐1
Douglas
Empire
Estrella Foothills
Flagstaff
Flowing Wells ‐1
Greenway
Holbrook
Kingman ‐1
AIA Divisions & Sections
53 | Page
Lee Williams
Maryvale ‐2
Mingus Union
Mohave
Moon Valley
North ‐2
Notre Dame Prep ‐1 Private
Page
Palo Verde Magnet
Payson
Pueblo Magnet
Rio Rico
River Valley
Sabino
Safford
Sahuarita
Salpointe Catholic Private
San Luis ‐1
Santa Rita
Shadow Ridge
Show Low
Sierra Linda ‐1
South Mountain ‐1
Tempe
Trevor G. Browne ‐2
Walden Grove
Wickenburg
Williams Field
Youngker
Yuma ‐1
Division IV (55 teams)
AZ College Prep
Alchesay
American Leadership
Antelope Union
Arizona Lutheran Private
Baboquivari
Benjamin Franklin
AIA Divisions & Sections
54 | Page
Benson
Bisbee
Bourgade Catholic Private
Camp Verde
Canyon State Academy Private
Chandler Prep
Florence ‐1
Fountain Hills
Ganado
Globe
Greyhills Academy
Hayden
Hopi
Joseph City
Many Farms
Mayer
Miami
Mogollon
Monument Valley ‐1
Morenci Jr./Sr.
Northland Prep
Northwest Christian Private
Odyssey Institute
Parker
Phoenix Christian Private
Pima
Pinon
Red Mesa
Round Valley
San Carlos
San Manuel Jr./Sr.
San Pasqual
San Tan Foothills
Santa Cruz Valley
Shonto Prep
Snowflake
St. Johns
Thatcher
Tohono O'Odham
Tombstone
AIA Divisions & Sections
55 | Page
Tuba City
Valley (Sanders)
Valley Christian Private
Valley Lutheran Private
Willcox
Window Rock
Winslow ‐1
Yuma Catholic Private

East Valley

Thanks for posting!

So D3 gets 6 old D1 schools. Alhambra, Carl Hayden, Cesar Chavez, Maryvale, North & Trevor Browne! That should be interesting. Why 2 jumps down?

D2 gets Mesquite & Skyline. I can see that.

D1 gets Cibola

I have a feeling D3 will be impacted. I hope with Thunderbird at D2 the normal D3 teams still stay at the top.

Allazallstars

I think Skyline in D2 on the list is a mistake.

Everything else posted says their appeal down was denied.

Could be wrong though.

CVCougar

The appeals committee denied Skyline but the executive board approved them. As for teams coming into D3, I don't see any of them being powerhouses right away, but with the right coach and support they could be strong in D3. After the top 3 teams, I don't see much difference between D2 and D3. If those D1 and D2 teams won't work to build a program, they will not compete at D3 either. Moving good teams up and bad teams down feels a lot like government trying to redistribute the wealth of hard working individuals to those that don't want to work.

Allazallstars

If D3 still only has 4 sections, that would make 15 teams per section, That means a 2 day sectional tournament. It would also make state crazy if only the top 4 qualify from each section.

acestallion

East Valley said:
Thanks for posting!

So D3 gets 6 old D1 schools. Alhambra, Carl Hayden, Cesar Chavez, Maryvale, North & Trevor Browne! That should be interesting. Why 2 jumps down?

D2 gets Mesquite & Skyline. I can see that.

D1 gets Cibola

I have a feeling D3 will be impacted. I hope with Thunderbird at D2 the normal D3 teams still stay at the top.

With those schools it has to do with economics and participation levels with sports. I believe they are in proper placement now that will enable them to be more competitive then before. Even though they may have D1 level population, they just don't have enough kids coming out for wrestling.

East Valley

I know they met yesterday to set the 2015-16 schedule. I talked to a coach who was there. What I was told is that Corona & Desert Vista (& I think Cibola) are being moved to a different section. I was told the same section as Westview. Not sure if that is 2 or 3. It looks like the sections will be more evenly balanced for next year?

Please post if anyone can find the sections.

Allazallstars

One of the coaches there sent me a picture of Division 1.
(sorry I don't know any others)

Section 1
Basha, Buena, Chandler, Hamilton, Ironwood Ridge, Marana, Perry, Sunnyside, Tucson

Section 2
Corona del Sol, Desert Vista, Centennial, Mountain Pointe, Millenium, Valley Vista, Westview, Willow Canyon, Cibola

Section 3
Desert Ridge, Dobson, Gilbert, Highland, Mesa, Mountain View, Red Mountain, Westwood

Secion 4
Boulder Creek, Brophy, Chaparral, Desert Mountain, Horizon, Mountain Ridge, North Canyon, Pinnacle, SDO

CVCougar

With only 34 teams in D1, what is the point of having a sectional tournament? How about making state a 32 man bracket (2 pig tails if needed) and let everyone compete. Give out a team title based on head to head duals. That way coaches might not sit out a wrestler in hopes of padding his record. It would save money on having 4 sectional tournaments where almost everyone qaulifies anyway, and that money could be used on the D3 sectional tournaments that will need to be 2 days because there are now 15 teams in each division.

East Valley

I think sections 1 & 3 will battle for the toughest through out the year. 2 is much tougher & 4 is weak. (At least on paper) They are more evenly matched than before at least. I'm glad they moved those teams to section 2.

East Valley

wjd said:
Unofficial numbers here, but glancing at the brackets.

Mt. View returns 7 wrestlers who qualified for state and scored a total of 83.5 pts.
Sunnyside returns 7 wrestlers who qualified for state and scored 107 pts.
Ironwood Ridge 7 returns 7 who qalified for state and scored 113.5
Red Mountain returns 4 who scored 62 points

Mt. View probably has more depth in their program than the others at this point in time so I would imagine they'll reload and stay in the mix. If Cibola is in D1 next year then it could be one of the more exciting state tournaments than there's been in years. Four or five teams may have a shot.

Because I'm bored out of my mind & can't wait until next season. I decided to go back & look at the points these teams scored (Coming Back next year) at Flowing Wells. (Red Mtn didn't attend) I know that Laguna (SS) & Dominguez (IR) were not there. That's probably good for 15-20 potential points.

1- Mtn View (Mesa) - 9 Returning, 165.5 points
2- Sunnyside - 7 Returning, 120.5 points
3- Ironwood Ridge - 9 Returning, 119 points
4- Chandler - 10 Returning = 115 points
5- Corona - 8 returning = 85 points
6- Cibola - 7 returning = 43.5 points
7- Red Mtn

I think any of the 7 teams has a good shot. Cibola has good depth & some tough freshman coming in. They were 1.5 points from winning a D1 title the year before they dropped to D2 & won 2 straight. Corona has a tough room & returners & Ryan Farina didn't place at FW but won D1 State. Chandler has a lot of talent & depth if they can pull it together they are tough. Sunnyside has strong returners, (2 champs 1 runner up) stud freshman coming in & I've heard rumors of a couple transfers. (Can't confirm that) They will make a serious run in 2016. Red Mtn Has tough returning placers & a deep room with great up & coming coaches. Mtn View with 9 returning starters it comes down to the new starters stepping it up & the returners putting the extra time in. On paper the top 3 favorites are Ironwood Ridge, Sunnyside & Mtn View. To me Ironwood Ridge will be really scary next year! (Sunnyside too) Their whole team just about are under classman. Patrick Klass was injured (I assume) all year. If he's back next year that makes a big difference. Again on paper Ironwood Ridge & Sunnyside seem to have the best chance to dethrone Mtn View. I'll give Mtn View their due as the favorite until someone beats them. 2015-16 will be an awesome season to watch!